Free Member
May 17, 2017
Aberdaron
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenza
Exp
Since 2015
I have a Smev oven (model number not known) and the door doesn't fasten well at all.

Actually, it didn't stay shut at all for two reasons. The first is that one of the door pins had come astray and was fastened, head first, in the door catch spring. This has been removed.

The remaining door pin was inserting into its door catch spring and this work a little better now that I have turned it 180 degress in the door and seems to hold the pin a little better. By a little better I mean that it holds it slightly and not not at all.

Okay, so I can see that I may need new door catch springs. These look easy enough to replace: a pair of pliers and an extraction.

Now, the loose door pin. I can see the hole where it fastens to inside the black oven surround. But there is no obvious nut or whatever on the far side. I don't want to remove the other pin to see how that one is connected in case a nut falls off the back of that one. So, the question is; am I right in assuming that the best way to improve the fastening of my door is to replace the catches and to get the second pin into place?

If so, how on earth do I fasten the pin to the black surround of the oven? What vital part am I missing?

Malc

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Could you post a couple of pictures, it might help with identifying the model and the problem.

OP
OP
Shoeless

Shoeless

Free Member
May 17, 2017
Aberdaron
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenza
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks, here are three pictures of the oven in question. The first shows the oven in place and someone may recognise it.

Oven3.jpg

Oh, only the top part seems to have come through. Okay, that's the top part of the oven/cooker part.

Under the grill (which one can see here) there's the oven door whose hinges are on the left. The spring catches look as if they have been put into place delicately by use of a shotgun.

Oven2.jpg

The top catch I have managed to rotate 180 degrees to make it hold better. And this here is what is supposed to go into those holes.

Oven1.jpg

The top pin is still in place (but a little worn) and you can see the hole for the bottom pin. There is nothing behind this hole for the pin to screw into.

So, the next question is What Do I Need To Do to fix this?

Thanks,
Malc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Looks like a Smev Model 400. Leisure Spares Ltd. list the following parts,
Pin 2900049 and Spring 2900010
Looking at that last pic, I would say the little catch spigot will almost certainly have had a nut screwed to the back of it, that probably means a strip down of the door to refasten it.

OP
OP
Shoeless

Shoeless

Free Member
May 17, 2017
Aberdaron
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenza
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for the reply. Now the spigot pin thing is attached to the actual oven housing and not the door.

So, how on earth do I get behind that? Do I have to remove the doors and the grill to take the front part off?

This is where I need a Haynes manual for the motorhome...

Thanks once again.
- Malc

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Yup, looks like a strip down job. Probably have to pull the oven out a bit, hopefully there'll be enough "give" in the gas pipe to let you gain access if you feel capable of doing the work, they don't make things easy, do they ? :(

OP
OP
Shoeless

Shoeless

Free Member
May 17, 2017
Aberdaron
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenza
Exp
Since 2015
Eeek! I think a walking stick rammed down the front behind the handles will do for now until I find someone 'professional'...

Thanks ever so much for your help, it is really appreciated.

- Malc

OP
OP
Shoeless

Shoeless

Free Member
May 17, 2017
Aberdaron
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenza
Exp
Since 2015
Oooh, that sounds interesting. I shall have a look at what my options are.

This is where I declare that my DIY skills are hopeless but thanks for that as I am sure that I can find someone who can do this for me.

- Malc

Mar 13, 2016
North East
Funster No
MH
Hobby Ford Transit
Exp
3 years
Similar problems SMEV door catch but different model unfortunately had 2 catches delivered wrong type so struggling to make safe until returned to Hobby Birtly Durham and had the oven removed. Have now replaced it with microwave myself for holiday commencing 10 June will decide plan B when back in July and hope they have repaired the door satisfactorily Dave H

OP
OP
Shoeless

Shoeless

Free Member
May 17, 2017
Aberdaron
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenza
Exp
Since 2015
At the moment the wife has managed to get the door to close. It does need to be fixed but, at the moment, until we get to Yorkshire on our travels (i.e. some massive oven sized meat pies from Wortley) then we won't be needing the oven.

But at least the Gin Palace has a microwave but we are working on other bits of the motorhome today. At least when we get ourselves into gear...

Cheers
Malc

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back