Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Hello Funsters.
I thought to post a quick request here on Fun before perhaps considering other solutions.
I have a 3 burner SMEV hob in my Chausson 2008 vintage Welcome 85 motorhome.
2 of the burners work fine.
The other burner lights up fine (and with a full flow of gas) but the gas supply shuts off when the knob on the gas valve is released.

As far as I can see the hob does not have flame failure devices fitted so it does not look like a theremocouple issue but I might be wrong here (remember it's a 2008 hob)

I suspect maybe a faulty gas valve.

Does anybody have any quick fixes to try?

Thank you

Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Had my hob out the other week 2006 Hymer three burner not sure the make but defo got thermocouples. See them clearly from underneath

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
They certainly do have flame failure device

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 3, 2012
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 yrs
Had it happen in Benidorm,gas fitter removed the flash guard undid the pipe tapped it for a few minutes and put it back together again and it’s been ok ever since.Residue builds up in pipe restricting the gas flow it took him longer to undo the bolts than sort out the blockage.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Had it on mine. Unscrew the hob from the worktop, tip it back and you should see a single wire with a Lucar connector going to each control knob. I just pulled them off and refitted them, it was enough to remake the electrical connection.

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Magic!
I had a look underneath the unit where there are indeed flame failure devices.
Mine are the twin wire type with a fine copper tube and a braided 'copper' lead.
After a bit of thought about how to remove the ferrule end attached to the valve I found it just pulls off.
Tapped it , in case there might be some dirt in there and refitted it.
Bingo , all OK.

I suspect the act of tapping it did nothing , it was removing and refitting it that did the trick.

Thanks chaps....................

Deleted User
Our hob is a 2008 Cramer same group as Smev. Same symptoms as yours and was definitely the thermo couplings. Easy job to replace once you get the hob out so that you can gain access underneath. Then you have to get it back in again. I seem to remember that we sourced the replacements from Leisure spares, about £30.00 each. I even looked at replacing the complete hob but was put off when I found out it was £600.

Spongy

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
@spongy I was lucky in that I could remove the shelves underneath the hob and get to the gas valves that way , so the job took just minutes.
I was quite impressed that on my oldish Chausson there seems to be a way to remove them all , shapewise , to get at stuff like the water pump below the kitchen unit etc. easily.

Deleted User
Lucky lucky, it’s not something that you think of when buying a motorhome. Glad you got it sorted.

Spongy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back