Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Okay - has anyone got one of these useless contraptions! I like a bit of toast in a morning but it looks like I ain't gonna get it.

I tried the ruddy useless thing again today and it didn't worry the bread much at all. There is gas getting through and the burner has nice flames coming out of the jets all around but the mesh above the jets is only getting slightly red at the ends, nothing in the middle, on either side - I assume that in order to work the mesh should heat up and go bright red as this would then radiate the heat down to the bread? If not, then I haven't a clue how it's supposed to work!

If anyone has one of these can they please inspect it and tell me if it glows all the way along ...

This is the one we have:

Link Removed

Ta
::bigsmile:

wooly

Free Member
May 17, 2009
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
4 Years
Hi, Yes we have one and use it for toast. Turn it on, let it heat up, the mesh is red all along, stick bread in, turn, Enjoy! Just remember about the smoke alarm, it catches me out every now and again. Your problem is either not allowing time to heat up or I suspect that some vans have a 30mb gas regulator and some a 37mb which will obviously make a difference.
Michael

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Wooly ... it's as I suspected, it looks like it's faulty ... the mesh doesn't heat up all along, no matter how long we leave it for, even after 10 minutes (yes seriously!), it is only red at the edges. :cry:

Now I'll have to try to get it sorted ... oh joy of joys. No toast in Scotland for the next 2 weeks unless I dig out my little hob-top flat pack toaster thingy ...:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wooly

Free Member
May 17, 2009
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
4 Years
Hi, Could be faulty, but they do take a while to heat up, you do need 10 minutes for a good glow
Michael

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
These things are notorious for having under-sized jets fitted. The standard from the Dometic factory is 0.5mm but you realy need 0.7mm.
In the UK the spares are handled by an agent who doesn't seem very interested in helping people get this sorted out and Dometic are reluctant to talk to even their own branch about spares.
The jets are a standard jet so the best bet may be to take it to your neighbourhood kitchen dealers and ask them to fit a 0.7mm jet.
In most countries in Europe, including Italy, Dometic's home country, you can go to a gas fitters shop and buy a set of assorted jets for about €4 but not in good old Blighty!
Patrick

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
an awful lot of rural scotland runs on bulk tanked LPG (calor) gas and most appliances bought up there come with two sets of jets...one for mains and one for LPG.

search the web for scottish gas appliance dealers and you should get a set of 0.7 jets no problem.

nothing tried, nothing gained.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
peter do you realise whatyou just wrote ?bet the jet isnt that big all told . think you mean a .7drill bit.mind you a 7mm would certainly warm the bread .

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
A 7mm jet will get the toast done for sure, a 0.7mm might be safer though. :Eeek:

Not such a daft idea reference drilling the jet, when I take my old VW to the rolling road the guy there will solder the jets and redrill to the size he wants. :winky:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Yep! My Smev grill is pretty slow.

I turned one of the oven tray things (that came with my cooker) upside down and put it in the base of the grill thus raising the grill pan closer to the (small) area of red heated bit...

It still is slow but I have got used to it and the unrushed way it goes about grilling my bacon, sausage, steak, tomatos and, of course, bread suits the gentle pace of motorhome life... (IMO)

JJ ::bigsmile:

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
Try one of these Link Removed
They are out of stock, but I am sure others stock them. I tried the pyramid type but not very successful. VMax

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Got one of those thanks, I agree the other 4 slice pyramid ones are atrocious, must be made by Smev too! :roflmto:

We're off up to Scotland so may investigate the replacement jets whilst there ... :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back