Smev 9722 double burner - not staying lit (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
One of the burners on my Smev 9722 won't stay alight when I release the knob. Before I buy a replacement thermocouple has anyone got any suggestions as to what to check first. Also, any recommendations for where to buy the replacement.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Have you made sure the gas jet is big enough and definitely playing onto the thermocouple
Although this is on the smaller burner the gas jet is quite big. It is located slightly between the flames but must be getting hot. I don't know how tolerant it will be to bending it a little towards the flame.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sometimes if it's too close to the flame causes a problem. The centre of the flame at the bottom is the coldest part of the flame. The thermocouple wants to be in the blue tip of the flame.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Check the wire (looks like a very thin tube) from the thermocouple where it connects to the back of the gas valve. I've had one come loose on this type of gas hob and cause exactly this problem. It should just screw up if it is loose.
Your fault could also be a faulty thermocouple but the above is quite likely.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Can you reach the (thermocouple?) wires underneath the burners? Literally give them a bit of a wiggle and make sure they aren't touching anything.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Can you reach the (thermocouple?) wires underneath the burners? Literally give them a bit of a wiggle and make sure they aren't touching anything.
Yes, I have tried that but no luck

OP
OP

Deleted User
Sometimes if it's too close to the flame causes a problem. The centre of the flame at the bottom is the coldest part of the flame. The thermocouple wants to be in the blue tip of the flame.
It is in the blue part of flame so must be getting hot.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
What you see is not an individual wire, it's like a very small pyro cable. i.e. a mineral insulated wire within an outer tube.

If it were mine I would lift the whole unit by removing the 6 screws (under the little rubber plugs) and lifting but having built the van myself I know that there is enough flex on gas, water and waste to do that, yours may be different. I build with maintenance in mind!

OP
OP

Deleted User
What you see is not an individual wire, it's like a very small pyro cable. i.e. a mineral insulated wire within an outer tube.

If it were mine I would lift the whole unit by removing the 6 screws (under the little rubber plugs) and lifting but having built the van myself I know that there is enough flex on gas, water and waste to do that, yours may be different. I build with maintenance in mind!
The gas is plumbed in with solid copper pipe which I thought was the recommended method for campervans.

OP
OP

Deleted User
A strip down and good clean of the burner bit in top usually makes things better
The burner has hardly been used and still looks like new. There is a good blue flame so don't think it is the burner.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Check the wire (looks like a very thin tube) from the thermocouple where it connects to the back of the gas valve. I've had one come loose on this type of gas hob and cause exactly this problem. It should just screw up if it is loose.

We had a burner that started playing up not staying alight on a PVC we had and after a bit of Googling it turned out to be the thermocouple connection on the gas valve needed a extra fraction of a tighten for the gas valve to hold in.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks, I will try that. If that doesn't help then I will try a new thermocouple.
I am now wondering if I can swap the thermocouple from the burner that is working to confirm fault but a bit concerned I might damage the good one.
Perhaps its best just to buy a replacement.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Can you play a flame from a gas lighter wand on to the thermocouple as well while it's lit.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Can you play a flame from a gas lighter wand on to the thermocouple as well while it's lit.
Having looked again, the thermocouple must be getting hot. This is a new problem and the hob hasn't been used much. i am thinking I might have damaged it when doing some work in the cupboard under the hob. I will try an external flame on it as you suggest.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
If you've been rummaging in the cupboard its possible you've damaged something or loosened something
Yes you can swop to check fault or use a multi meter between gas valve and end of the wire with flame lit you want a min of 12 millivolts

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back