Smellywater (1 Viewer)

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
Got a problem with the water coming out the cold water tap on the kitchen sink smelling of bad eggs.
Its in a 2000 Hobby 600 if it makes a difference.
I took the inspection cover up over the cold water tank and removed the inspection cover, No smell came out so I dipped a glass into the tank and that was odourless too.
I then tried water from the bathroom sink, again odourless while the kitchen was still smelling.
Apart from not using the kitchen cold water any suggestions as to the cause and any remedy to it

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if its not in the tank and not in other taps its got to be in the pipework up to the kitchen tap i would suggest dosing a full tank with purifcation tablets and running it all out via the kitchen tap

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it sounds very much like Hydrogen sulphide but as the other taps are ok it would appear to be the kitchen tap itself.

Chlorine is the usual method of removal in water but i doubt it would work in unaffected water passing through a contaminated tap.

Are you 100% sure its not from the hot tap, assuming you have a mixer tap.
the taps hot and cold feeds could have been reversed from new or after a repair and you think its cold water but is actually hot.
Hydrogen sulphide is more often found in hot water and it could be the boiler is contaminated.

Easiest but most expensive cure would be renewal of the tap and pipework back to the nearest junction.

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
This might sound daft ... in fact coming from me it is quite a high possibility .:Doh:.... but I am paranoid at the moment about mice having found another load of droppings in the store holder of my van yesterday ... is there any chance there is a dead mouse in the pipework .. (that's where I had one leading up to the bathroom sink ...:Sad:)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
This might sound daft ... in fact coming from me it is quite a high possibility .:Doh:.... but I am paranoid at the moment about mice having found another load of droppings in the store holder of my van yesterday ... is there any chance there is a dead mouse in the pipework .. (that's where I had one leading up to the bathroom sink ...:Sad:)

I presume you are talking about your water pipe...

I think the pipe is too narrow even for a little mouse, and if by chance one did get in it`s decomposing poor little body would certainly stop water coming out of a tap, bless, poor little mouse... :winky:::bigsmile:

Waste pipe may be different, although you have a tank,,,, if the drain tap is left open, a wee little mouse could get in through the waste drain tap, and into the tank and work it`s way up the pipe... poor little thing.. but doubt it, Joy...:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:thumb:Thanks Mo. They just said water pipe so I thought the sink pipe cos that where the poo was in the cupboard under the sink tap in the bathroom ..... and other places of course.:Sad: I always leave the waste water tap open when in storage....

Sorry Vection, didn't mean to steal thread. :Blush:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We have a similar problem at times with our 750 but after flushing through all the taps and refilling the tank all is fine .

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
Most definitely H2S and almost certainly bacterial growth on protein products and likely on the pipe work from what you have described. As bacterial then chlorine treatment of the water tanks and flushing thro the pipe work allowing chlorine to act for a few hours before rinsing thro should sort it out.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Same happens on our narrowboat if water dosent pass through the charcoal filter for a few weeks. We just run the tap for a bit, it soon goes away. :thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We have the same problem in our Hymer, but at the vanity unit tap. The water runs cold, then hot (and smells), then cold if left to flush. It is caused by the cold pipe being strapped next to the hotpipe by the installers.
I have tried to trace the pipes back to the boiler, and separate them as much as possible along the way using polystyrene spacers, but they go up behind the boiler and over the wheel arch. That's the area where I've been unsuccessful.

It does clear altogether with the annual flush and soak with white vinegar, but soon comes back when water has been left standing in the pipe work. It's at it's worst, when the boiler is on.

HTH,

Jock.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Most definitely H2S and almost certainly bacterial growth on protein products and likely on the pipe work from what you have described. As bacterial then chlorine treatment of the water tanks and flushing thro the pipe work allowing chlorine to act for a few hours before rinsing thro should sort it out.

good advice..

Cheap non scented thin bleach , (that's important, you don't want lavender smelling water) .. a couple of cups in a full tank, run taps, both hot and cold, until you can smell the bleach.. don't forget the shower.. leave for 30 mins, drain and flush..

as used in factories, public buildings, office blocks, swimming pools, etc. to sanitize water systems..

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back