Smelly sink? (1 Viewer)

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
A smell seems to be emanating from our sink in the lunar...do I assume that the grey? water tank needs cleaning?

I have emtied it thoroughly after each use but have never cleaned it as I don't really know how....It looks as if the only way to fill it is via the sink?

Ant help gratefully received.

BTW...It's gorgeous down here at Two Mills in Norfolk...beautifully quiet..except for the head banging woodpeckers....lol

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

The easiest way I have found to clean the tank is to empty grey waste and pour in a couple of bottles of cheap Coke go for a ride then empty.

I often do this after a long trip on the way home, No problems since doing it.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i have bought some suger soap in a powder which i intend to pour down the sink pipes and add water before we go away at the weekend ,allowing it to slosh about in the gray tank, this should also dissolve any grease deposits in the tank and pipes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The grey waste can pong quite a bit::bigsmile: I've used a mild disinfectant in it and it works OK, if you have to travel with grey in your tank, then make sure that you fit the plugs to your sinks and shower, that will stop the smell ruining your journey.:Smile:

Try to never let solids get into your grey tank, easier said than done, but rotting food does chuck up, We (OK Sian) wipes plates with a tissue before washing them up, this removes the solids like rice etc. bagging this stuff with your rubbish is far better that letting it into your grey tank. But if you don't want it in your rubbish, things like coffee grains, have eaten bowls of cereal, anything with any fat in it can go down the loo, as the cassette is emptied regularly and easily washed, this is better than the crud finding a low point in your tanks and sitting there, or clinging to the sides and and rotting

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
We use blue-bio the toilet stuff and put a cap full down cleans pipes and tank works amazingly well,

Craig

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Try diluting orange juice just put it down the plug hole every now and again it work well for us as never had smell yet. We also try and do as Jim does sorry Sian does and try and take as much off the plates as possible.

Gerry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Easy way to stop smells is fit a u-trap or if your pipe is long enough create a u-bend :winky:
terry

nokaii

Free Member
Oct 19, 2010
Nr Manchester
Funster No
Exp
Easy way to stop smells is fit a u-trap or if your pipe is long enough create a u-bend :winky:
terry

I wonder why ubends are not fiited as standard it would only cost a few pence to manufaturers and save a lot of messing about for owners :whatthe:

Ours is a 1990's van so perhaps they are fitted nowadays

Karen

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Stick one of these on your sinks and shower drains! This drainer has an integral water trap.

I will never understand why British MHs have the cheap and nasty standard caravan drains that let smells back into the van! We had to keep remembering to put our plugs back in on our old Elddis to avoid a stink.
Our Chausson has them as standard and we never get any nasty wiffs!::bigsmile:

Link Removed

By the way, you don't need to use both connections, the unit is supplied with a blank.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back