Smelly grey waste - could this be the answer? (1 Viewer)

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have noticed that the grey waste on our van really stinks at times. For the past couple of months we have avoided emptying left over tea down the kitchen sink.

Its Winter now of course but when emptying the grey waste water we have noticed there is no smell at all, hopefully this will continue when we get some warm weather.

I wonder if not putting any milk down the sink is what is making the dirrerence?

Might be worth a try.

Paul

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I/we do avoid putting milk in ours and it still stinks, but we do keep it in and let it ferment which doesn't take long in the summer.

Martin

OP
OP
Easyliving

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We used to use some.jollop from Fenwicks that seemed to do the trick but we ran out a while ago and its £7.99 a litre from Amazon.

From what you all say we may be clutching at staws....

Paul

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We use a squirt of ...
IDShot_540x540.jpg

as necessary down the plug hole.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
If you go to France stock up on the pastilles they sell in all the supermarkets for freshening up drains and suchlike. They cost pennies, come in all sorts of flavours and work really well. Pop one tablet in the grey tank each time after you empty and the problem is solved. Can’t believe they don’t seem to sell them over here?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
It’s a squirt of cheapo bleach in ours that stops it being wiffy. (y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If you go to France stock up on the pastilles they sell in all the supermarkets for freshening up drains and suchlike. They cost pennies, come in all sorts of flavours and work really well. Pop one tablet in the grey tank each time after you empty and the problem is solved. Can’t believe they don’t seem to sell them over here?
They are beginning to appear in some of the bigger British supermarkets.(y)

For many years now all we have brought back from France has been the bleach tablets (pastilles) and coffee.

In future we will have room for more coffee:)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
we fill the grey tank from time to time dilute abut six Calgon tabs and ade to tank drive roun then dump
bill

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
They smell! Every so often I put a shot of cheap biological washing liquid down the sink when it’s about half - three quarters full then drive for a whil before emptying. This is most useful in summer and is very easily done when moving between camperstops (aires) in France.

I don’t use bleach for fear of damaging seals in the pipe work.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Our waste water tank has never smelt. But that may be because we never put ANY waste water or other liquids from washing up or cooking down the kitchen sink. In fact, fresh water from the tap, when getting the hot and cold water system working after drain down, is the only liquid that goes down it. Same in the last van we had for over five years.

Water when teeth cleaning and washing goes down the bathroom waste, but that doesn't appear to cause a problem.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Yep, a splash of bleach (Lidl rather than Tesco!) is all I use.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We sometimes dissolve a cheap biological washing tablet down the main sink plug hole followed by some hot water, then drain the contents off after a drive home. I use the same tablets in the cassette between emptying. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Thetford do a waste tank fluid which we have tried and we have no smells... (well from the waste tank anyway......)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Since day one, we have never emptied the greasy washing up liquid from the sink bowl down the plughole to save this problem happening. Its only fresh or shower water that goes into the Grey tank. When on site we put a bucket under the grey waste outlet to catch the waste water from the shower, and empty regularly.
I guess its the old die hard caravaning experience that's influencing us. We also have, and see, many others using a wastehog on their mohos, maybe that's because they dont have a grey waste on board tank though.
I know its a faff, but I dont mind doing it.
The advice given of putting some Bio tabs, even dishwasher tabs crushed down the plughole and driving around a while seems to be the usual good advice. Especially if you have a Swift as the tank probes are notorious for getting calked up and giving false readings.
Les

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
As full timers our toilet cassette is the trigger to empty and fill timing, cassette and grey waste out, bio liquid in cassette, bleach in grey waste, fresh water in tank.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
We have noticed that the grey waste on our van really stinks at times. For the past couple of months we have avoided emptying left over tea down the kitchen sink.

Its Winter now of course but when emptying the grey waste water we have noticed there is no smell at all, hopefully this will continue when we get some warm weather.

I wonder if not putting any milk down the sink is what is making the dirrerence?

Might be worth a try.

Paul
It’s the milk !!!! It happened to us once only so we never pour tea or coffee cups down the sink

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

Look out for the word 'Javel' (french for bleach.) As Bob says, they all sell them incl. Lidl.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Rinsing seafood in the sink and washing pans that garlic had been fried in led to a very fragrant waste tank in our case!

After emptying the tank, added a crushed dishwasher tab and a couple of litres of hot water and went for a long drive before emptying again.

If you see someone outside their van rinsing seafood in a bucket in the dark, that'll be me trying to avoid contaminating the tank again.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Our waste water tank has never smelt. But that may be because we never put ANY waste water or other liquids from washing up or cooking down the kitchen sink. In fact, fresh water from the tap, when getting the hot and cold water system working after drain down, is the only liquid that goes down it. Same in the last van we had for over five years.

Water when teeth cleaning and washing goes down the bathroom waste, but that doesn't appear to cause a problem.
Presumably, you are collecting your dirty water in a bowl. What do you do with the water in the bowl? Throw it on the ground? Carry it to a drain?

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
We tend to use sites in winter, but have always had either a bucket or as now a waste hog. I will tend to send hubby to sinks on site, particularly if a lot of pots or bbq. Alternatively soak all bits up using kitchen paper to avoid them ending up in the plug or waste tank. We have, in last five years of owning this mh, had the odd occasion where there has been a nasty niff. We have tried the coke trick, which seems to work so long as at the end of our stay, will stick in a couple of litres and drive home, then empty at storage. Next time around all seems to be sweet.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
There was a guy at the motorhome shows (eg Peterborough) who sold a "minted Gloop" which worked very well. I think he's stopped trading and retired now but there are alternatives. I've used Dettol, rather than bleach. I think you really need something that will consume the grease.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Presumably, you are collecting your dirty water in a bowl. What do you do with the water in the bowl? Throw it on the ground? Carry it to a drain?
Normally stay at campsites and use the facilities there for washing up. But if not, dispose of waste water in the most appropriate way possible. As a long time tent camper, just follow the guidance still recommended by the Camping and Caravanning Club.

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
The tip we got from this forum when we first started out was to empty the grey waste, then poor a couple of bottles of cheap coke into the sinks. Go for a drive them empty it cleans the tank a treat. After to freshen any smell poor a cup full of fabric softner down the sink and it gives off a lovely smell. We have only done ours twice in four years and no smells

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Just a couple of points that may be of interest in helping to offset smelly tank syndrome.
When we are pitched on an aire in France, I often walk to the waste discharge trough with the washing up bowl if it has greasy water in it. Easier there than on a campsite where the waste dump may be some distance away.
If there is no convenient waste dump and I need to get rid of greasy water, or if there are ‘bits’ in it, I pour it into the toilet cassette. There are never chemicals in our cassette (SOG of course) and I empty it frequently, so a bit of washing up water is easily disposed of. N.b. this method is not advisable if wild camping when you may need all the cassette capacity you can muster between toilet dumps!

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
Yes empty down drain. Good exercise.

We put litre bottle of cheapest cola down pipes each time we empty waste water. This seems to help with getting rid of smell.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back