Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Gas locker always has a gas smell whenever I open it. It's been in twice for checking, dealer assures me there is no leak. (PS, it's a Gaslow refillable bottle). Also, I have done my own soapy bubble test, nothing. No hissing sound of gas escaping.
Next, I marked the gauge on the bottle and left it for 24 hours. No change.
So why am I smelling gas?

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Ah-Ha, thank you, I do have rubber pipes.
So does gas just somehow permeate through rubber? Which would surely mean that some (maybe an infitesimal amount) is still escaping?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
There is always a slight fast smell but it's a bit different to a gas leak smell. If your gas locker is enclosed with just a drop vent (ours is in the garage) they smell a lot more than the side lockers with a big open area around the bottles.

I always carry a gas sniffer.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
You could go online and get yourself a can of Gas Leak Detector spray, its what all the gas engineers use to check their gas joints are tight enough on new installs.
Screwfix do one, but Hamilton Gas products do them also.
Hope that helps.
Les

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have refillable bottles (Gas it) with rubber tails. Our gas locker ( sealed with just a drop vent) always smells a bit gassy. I’ve checked all connections with proper gas leak fluid, no leaks at all. It appears to be just the smell of the rubber pipe

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I'm a gas engineer by trade and mine smells I've checked checked and double checked i
And there's no measurable leak the smell that they add to the gas seems to stick to anything for ever I wouldn't worry about it a true leak will soon be apparent as the smell goes every where

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Ah-Ha, thank you, I do have rubber pipes.
So does gas just somehow permeate through rubber? Which would surely mean that some (maybe an infitesimal amount) is still escaping?
I really can't explain why the smell occurs, it obviously permeates the rubber but I don't think the gas is escaping. So long as you are certain the tails are still in-date and have checked all the system for leaks there will be no danger or cost incurred through wastage.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It`s NOT the gas, It`s the "Stench", This is injected into Propane at the "factory" because "pure" Propane etc; has no odour. It "clings" to everything. When I used to Examine The Tanks for Calor, The big Industrial ones. I kept a full set of clothing JUST for that job. SWMBO would not let me out of the Garage until I changed, down to the Underwear!. They all then went on the washing line for days, even then they still smelled!. Even several washes will leave a trace!. I just keep an old Spray Bottle filled with soapy Water in the gas locker and test every-time I change a bottle and periodically go round all the exposed connectors.

P.s. There are some gasses Ie; Hydrogen Sulphide, where you are only in trouble when you can no longer smell them, at which point your sense has been destroyed, and you have around 3 to 5 mins left to live!. It is also one constituent of "Natural" Methane!, fortunately only in very small quantities, and Smells of Rotten Eggs. Useless information but one reason why your "Fart" stinks!.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back