Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Dorset - 6months, Spain - 6months
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
As it says. when I run the hot water into the washand basin in the morning "it don't arf stink":Eeek:

I noticed this in the UK before I left for wintering in Spain and flushed the system through and I thought thourghly, but it still happens.:RollEyes:

Ian
Three Green

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi try a good squirt of bleech or milton fluid in your system, it should kill any smelly bacteria but will taste for a few fillups:Eeek::thumb:
terry

damondunc

Funster
Aug 2, 2007
near Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
smell from hot water

The smell is caused by sulphur dioxide in the hot water tank, putting milton or bleach through the system will not cure it.
This is the correct way to do it applicable to american water heaters ONLY. Turn off your water pump or city water supply and turn the water heater off allow it to cool for at least 4 hrs or overnight, remove the drain bung from the hot water heater tank let the water drain, then refit the drain bung. Remove the pressure/temperature relief valve. Fill the tank through the hole left by the removed valve with a mix of 4 parts white/clear vinegar to two parts water(this will be at least six USA gallons). Then either leave it for three to four hours or refit the valve and run the water heater and let it cycle at least twice, do not run the pump at all during this process. Turn the heater off and allow it to cool, then remove the drain bung and let it drain, once the tank is empty turn on the water pump to flush any residual vinegar from the tank. refit the drain bung and turn the pump back on and clear any air from the system by opening a hot tap till you get running water. Then turn your water heater back on and check for leaks.
If you have an atwood heater make sure you have new drain bungs available(they have a nasty habit of snapping) or if you have an older suburban heater use a weaker vinegar mix as the tanks on older heaters can be quite weak. Also a good idea to have a spare pressure/temp valve. Had this problem on our RV when it came from Florida, really not a nice smell
Dunc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back