Smashing down doors near Perpignan (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Oh Geoff that's awful news. Can't you get a second opinion before the insurance write it off?
@EthnGeoff
I had a similar thing happen 3 year ago (low valuation on a works Ford Transit)

Loss adjuster tried a low offer. I pointed out that it had been recently serviced and MOT'd and after I checked prices on Autotrader and Ebay told him to find me another van, same spec and condition for the price he offered.

In that one conversation his offer increased 25%

We eventually replaced the van with a slightly newer one at a bit less than the insurance settlement.

I'd certainly say the same to Brownhills - "Find me a similar van for the valuation you gave!"

Best of luck(y)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Surely it is the french drivers insurance that ultimately has to pay for your losses and there is no way that you should lose out in these circumstances. Reject the valuation given by Brownhills and insist on you being found a replacement compatible in terms of condition and mileage!

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
You really should haggle over the price, it happens all the time with motorbikes and they nearly always increase the offer if it's poor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Terrifying experience for you.

I agree with posts above. Insist on second opinion on value. This alone may lead to an increase.

Have you checked comparable prices on the Internet, dealers websites, Autotrader, MMM etc?

Is the French Insurance Company paying? Do you have any legal insurance with your own Policy?

It seems such a shame to have to give up motorhoming when you are not at fault.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Another vote for 'I have searched and a comparable vehicle would cost £x If yyou can find one same condition, mileage age and accessories for your quote please supply it' Got enought to do that, am talking about a car though but would do the same if it was the van, never accept first offer.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Sadly we've just been informed today that our beloved motorhome is being written off. Eth and myself have enjoyed 7 wonderful years of retirement travelling in our mh, but it seems that an idiot driver combined with a rediculously low valuation of our van by Brownhills, Newark, have combined to put an end to our travels. Shame really because Brownhills themselves had a van which we may have considered as a replacement. But if this is the way they treat their customers then it's goodbye from me.
Geoff.

That happened to me with my last caravan - the loss adjuster valued it at £3000 so I asked how much they would pay me if I kept the van (the damage was mainly cosmetic)

I got £2200 and kept the van, "fixed it up" myself for about £100 and a year later got £3500 in PX for a 2nd hand MoHo

Result :)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
That happened to me with my last caravan - the loss adjuster valued it at £3000 so I asked how much they would pay me if I kept the van (the damage was mainly cosmetic)I got £2200 and kept the van, "fixed it up" myself for about £100 and a year later got £3500 in PX for a 2nd hand MoHo
Result :)

OK with a caravan but a MH would be a Cat D or Cat C........ and worth less

I would probably do it but photograph all the damage before repairing... still 'Recorded' though

:)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Surely the insurance company have to offer you enough to replace the van with a similar one from a reputable dealer?
You don't have to accept their first offer.
Maybe you need to do some research online and send them examples of similar vans?

Best of luck.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
@EthnGeoff

I'd certainly say the same to Brownhills - "Find me a similar van for the valuation you gave!"

Best of luck(y)

Surely it is the french drivers insurance that ultimately has to pay for your losses and there is no way that you should lose out in these circumstances. Reject the valuation given by Brownhills and insist on you being found a replacement compatible in terms of condition and mileage!

Another vote for 'I have searched and a comparable vehicle would cost £x If yyou can find one same condition, mileage age and accessories for your quote please supply it' Got enought to do that, am talking about a car though but would do the same if it was the van, never accept first offer.

That's all you have to do . Reject the offer & state " Find me another van etc;etc;" as the others have said . They are required to put you back in the position you were in immediately before the accident.
also point out that the French blokes company is paying.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
OK with a caravan but a MH would be a Cat D or Cat C........ and worth less

I would probably do it but photograph all the damage before repairing... still 'Recorded' though

:)

Agreed Bb however the op said they loved their MoHo and from what they say a new rad & fusebox and some bodywork repair hopefully would see it legally back on the road with trhe prospect of many more years of use.

When the insurance assessor made his estimate for the cost of repairs probably the most expensive item was the bodywork & respray (mostly cosmetic) both of which can be sourced much, much cheaper by the op than the insurance estimated cost which is always "top whack"

Some years ago I had an elderly Mk1 Granada estate (ideal for towing my caravan) and a car ran into the front of it when I was stationary damaging the radiator grill, o/s headlight and bonnet - an insurance write off!!. That time I also "bought" the car as part of the settlement.

For less than £100 from a scrap yard I got a bonnet, grill and headlight unit, fitted them myself (easy job) and kept the car for another 3 years passing MOTs no problem, then PXed it for another more modern Granada :D

I guess it all depends on what the op wants :)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Agreed Bb however the op said they loved their MoHo and from what they say a new rad & fusebox and some bodywork repair hopefully would see it legally back on the road with trhe prospect of many more years of use.

Totally agree !

(y)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I had a Bedford CF Autosleeper go up in flames while parked outside the house. They came back with a very low offer so I found similar vans advertised in MH magazines and rejected their offer enclosing the other adds. They upped the settlement.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
@EthnGeoff

Have I missed something?

Has the van been recovered to the UK?

Is/was the van driveable, any repairs already done?

Last edited:

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
As has been said by others, with old bikes they can be financially 'un-repairable' purely because of plastics damage to fairings etc. It doesn't mean you can't fix them up with kits and resprays or 2nd hand parts. Even if a vehicle is cat C/D it can often be restored at re-categorised easy enough enough if the will and financial need is there.

Sometimes you can say to the assessor, ok I'll take your accessment IF I get to keep the broken vehicle as well. Not so great if it's in France, but if Brownhills saw it to access it then it suggests not.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Really soory for you trouble and im glad your not hurt, I would reject there insureances offer,

Im wondering if Brownhills is making an offer to buy it from the insurance company, for them to fix it and sell on (at a big profite) later, or am I just reading tooo much into it.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Insurance companies will usually write off a vehicle when the repair costs are in excess of 60% of the value of the vehicle. So the way to proceed now is to look for adverts for vehicles of similar specification, mileage etc. Your policy is one of indemnity, that is the insurer's must place you in the same position as you were before the accident, either by finding a replacement vehicle, repairing it or paying the value at the time of the loss.

I certainly wouldn't rely upon a value put upon it by Brownhills who would have little interest in the matter, can you contact other dealers for the marque in question who may be able to give a more accurate valuation particularly if there is a chance of you buying a replacement vehicle from them - hint, hint.;).

By the way, having been involved in the past in recovering the cost of damage to U.K. Haulage vehicles damaged in France I always found the French insurance companies to be very upfront about the liability of their insured and quite quick at reimbursing the cost.

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
The front bumper/panel of my Rapido A class was damaged a few years ago, bad scrape on the front offside corner, a replacement was priced at about €1500.
The insurance assessor wanted it repaired and painted, I said paint on ABS was not acceptable, he insisted on repair, I said OK but I reserve the right to reject the repair, he said OK a new bumper so.

Assessors realty try to minimise the cost to the insurer, it is the insurer who pay for their service after all, so the assessor is definitely not on your side.
As has been said demand a like for like replacement or a right-off settlement representing the cost of buying a similar MH.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Never accept the first offer if you consider it too low. I was knocked of my bike in Ireland a couple of years ago. A lady driver just turned right into my path. My bike was still ride-able and I continued with my week in Eire. On my return to the UK I presented it to the insurance approved repairers who eventually declared the frame was bent and was an uneconomical repair. The estimate for rebuilding, repainting and replacement of damaged parts was £7,500 and they offered me £6,500 for the bike. I argued, re-iterated the accident was not my fault and the other party were paying for it so why should I lose the bike I'd had from new through no fault of my own. We revised the estimate between us. I agreed to only a partial respray and accepted that some parts which were barely damaged and had already suffered wear and tear need not be replaced. Once we got the estimate below £6,500 the insurance agreed to fund the repairs and I still have my 16 year old bike (now with a new frame).

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
You can get advice from a loss adjuster yourself. I was advised to do that several years ago when the insurance co gave me a stupid quote. Good luck

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Harrumph to bike main dealers.

We had a bike accident and the Honda dealer we had it recovered to, reckoned the frame was bent. We took expert independent advice, quote 'I've seen Blackbirds somersault 3 times when someone's come a purler on a track day - and the frame's not been bent despite not having any plastic bits etc left! Falling over on tarmac at low speed it can't possibly be bent!' (The road was wet and the tarmac was new, nothing had hit us)

So it was brought home and stringed the old fashioned way. A Certain Person (he wasn't called John Smith, or Pete whole leg was still in plaster from where it fell on him LOL) rode it at high speed down a certain road with no hands and it travelled in a straight line. Bit of new plastic and exhaust pipe, sorted.

And as a retired insurance worker - NEVER accept the first estimate!

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Estimate is all it is , go for the real value , the accident wasn't your fault , your not a victim, kick off proper i reckon . You need to be in the same position van wise as the second before your accident i say dont get fobbed off .

OP
OP
EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
614306_-_photo_5_img.jpg
614306_-_photo_3_big.jpg
We all love a happy ending.
Turned out that the value Brownhills gave the insurance was a book price for a standard production vehicle, not considering we sat down with the salesman and gave the specs we wanted, including upgrades to engine, gearbox, chassis, trim and many extras. We argued this and provided evidence of all upgrades (we always keep receipts) and received an offer which we were happy with.
Whilst we were at Brownhills stripping bits & pieces off our old vehicle we spotted one for sale which we liked. Did the deal yesterday and just arrived home with her today. Appropriately we're calling her .......Dora.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Thank goodness this has a happy ending for you.

A dreadful saga for you, and I'm glad you didn't get injured. Brownhills were negligent in giving their low valuation, and all that matters is that you are satisfied with the outcome

Happier days ahead

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for keeping us in the loop !
Congratulations and so glad you have a new van. Happy and safe travels in Dora the explorer!!(y)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Well done for getting a better deal that you could live with!

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Thanx for the update glad you got it sorted love a happy ending

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
It's always good to see the OP relaying the final outcome. Not everyone reports back.:)

Glad to see a good outcome for the OP too!(y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the Update. It is always great to hear the resolution to these stories especially when it is good news like this.

Happy Travels.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back