Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Looking to change my mobile to Smarty (Part of 3 network.) which is offering unlimited Data for £20 on rolling monthly contract. As I understand, If I get a referral code from a current user, both the user and new customer (me) get a free months data allowence.

So any Smarty monthly Sim holders have such Sim card and wish to send me the code.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you intend to keep it then look at the existing threads about the Vodafone offerings via the reseller sites.

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
If you intend to keep it then look at the existing threads about the Vodafone offerings via the reseller sites.

Not to sure if I will keep the SIM in the long run. We normally are in France/Spain from now through to Easter. As we are not setting off until there is a vaccine ? we are staying put in the UK.
As we full time in the van we get through a lot of Data on our present sims. Looking at the unlimited Data UK packages to see us through the next 6 -7 months. Then if we set off to mainland Europe we are not restricted to 20 gig use (voda) on the unlimited set up. On face value the Smarty unlimited monthly roll over contract gives plenty of flexibility re cancellation and from what I have read no restriction when used in EU. It clearly states use in EU but at this time I cannot see if there are caps to amount of use.
Also do not want to be in a year contract after 1st Jan in case suddenly EU roaming charges restart. No good to me then on a year contract if I cannot use the SIM

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
After a quick google:

SMARTY now lets you roam at no extra cost across the EU. That means you can use unlimited minutes and texts and as much data as your plan generally offers. The exception to this is the unlimited data plan, which lets you use up to 20GB per month when roaming.15 Jan 2020

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
After a quick google:

SMARTY now lets you roam at no extra cost across the EU. That means you can use unlimited minutes and texts and as much data as your plan generally offers. The exception to this is the unlimited data plan, which lets you use up to 20GB per month when roaming.15 Jan 2020
I mentioned previously that being able to use as much data as you want in the EU if you have an unlimited plan was questionable as no other company does that which I can recall, so Smarty having a limit on their 'unlimited' plans isn't a surprise but why they, and other companies, don't make the upper limit the same as the highest limited plan they do I don't know.

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I mentioned previously that being able to use as much data as you want in the EU if you have an unlimited plan was questionable as no other company does that which I can recall, so Smarty having a limit on their 'unlimited' plans isn't a surprise but why they, and other companies, don't make the upper limit the same as the highest limited plan they do I don't know.
Indeed the 20 gig limit would cause be problems. I am with O 2 at the moment on a 100gig one year contract which is ending. That gives us just enough Data along with my wife’s set up. As I said come the spring if we go off do not want to be trapped in a unlimited contract and can only use 20. If roaming charges are not changed after 1st Jan can always go back to o2. I have never found o2 restrict my 100 gig use when in Spain/ France. Have used the whole months allowance without any issue

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
I know it’s not much use to you as your staying in the U.K. but just for reference at the moment EE are waiving their fair use policy on data abroad so you can use your full data allowance up to 50Gb per month.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Smarty now offering a promotion , 100Gb for £15 per month , on a rolling 30 day contract . Its basically a "double data " upgrade from their £15 for 50Gb deal, with a couple of provisos added , Details in the promo T & Cs.

If on a limited data usage plan as opposed to unlimited , I would guess the full 100Gb is usable when out of UK , ie no 20Gb restriction level.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Looking to change my mobile to Smarty (Part of 3 network.) which is offering unlimited Data for £20 on rolling monthly contract. As I understand, If I get a referral code from a current user, both the user and new customer (me) get a free months data allowence.

So any Smarty monthly Sim holders have such Sim card and wish to send me the code.

The unlimited should be £18/month, capped to 20GB/month if using abroad. The codes are individual to each person, so if you used one of the codes offered here, you would get a free month and so would they. Then if you shared your code with family or friends, the same thing applies.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I was just about to quit 3, to sign up to the Smarty 30gb for £10 a month.

3 said, ‘We’ll match it’. I’m happy with that for now.

T&C’s clearly state 20gb a month in the EU.

Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
I'm very happy with smarty, I'm on 100gb for £15.00 and use it as my broadband at home and in my van, I have used just under the 50gb every month. I like I can leave when I like and I have always had a good signal so far. I have never been abroad with it, so I don't have any idea about restrictions abroad.
anyone want a recommendation code, just message me

Metamorfosis

Free Member
Oct 13, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680g
After a quick google:

I have yet to see a single forum member who uses smarty abroad confirm that they have used well in excess of 20gb in a month. Therefore I am very sceptical as to the source of your information.
This is direct from Smarty's FAQ's section on their homepage and refers to plans in general and not specifically the unlimited plan;

"You can now use your SMARTY plan abroad. In the EU it works like normal up to 20GB. Outside the EU, or to call internationally, you need to add an “Out of plan” "

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
that sounds to me like youd be better off not using unlimited plan abroad
Exactamundo! Same with Vodafone, if you have an unlimited contract you have a smaller limit than if you have a 100gb limited contract and can use it all! Madness.

Metamorfosis

Free Member
Oct 13, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680g
eh?
olly has quoted from somewhere saying smarty allow you to use all your data on a limited plan abroad. I would like to see where he has quoted from as from my own research and all references on the smarty website smarty limit ALL their plans to 20gb or less when abroad.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
eh?
olly has quoted from somewhere saying smarty allow you to use all your data on a limited plan abroad. I would like to see where he has quoted from as from my own research and all references on the smarty website smarty limit ALL their plans to 20gb or less when abroad.
This is on their website and is shown regardless of whatever plan you have:

1598370141341.png

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
After a quick google:

Can you find that on the Smarty site?

Metamorfosis

Free Member
Oct 13, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680g
ah. He appears he got that quote from this commercial comparison website below so it is unverified and can be disregarded unless proven otherwise

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Apologies guilty as charged didn't check I was on the Smarty site.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
After a quick google:

I think that info is wrong. I specifically asked Smarty the question and the answer was that the 30Gb, 50Gb and unlimited plans are all limited to 20Gb per month when roaming in the EU.

PS, here is another referral code. http://referme.to/dhjxfdx

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
ah. He appears he got that quote from this commercial comparison website below so it is unverified and can be disregarded unless proven otherwise

Apologies guilty as charged didn't check I was on the Smarty site.
This is exactly why you should ONLY trust the info on the actual provider's website and never a third party seller or reviewer site, this could be due to something as simple as when the info was obtained by the other party it was correct and subsequently the provider has changed the terms.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Wow sincere apologies young lady I will endeavour to check all of my facts in future, I am really aghast and agog at such a grievous error on my part, how can I ever be forgiven? Would 100 lashes with barbwire be sufficient? ::bigsmile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Wow sincere apologies young lady I will endeavour to check all of my facts in future, I am really aghast and agog at such a grievous error on my part, how can I ever be forgiven? Would 100 lashes with barbwire be sufficient? ::bigsmile:
Corrrrrrrrrrr .... I like it when you talk M&S ... or is it S&M? :LOL:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Well my apologies keep coming, :oops: just messaged Smarty to say wife's simm which arrived yesterday and we had a email to say the number had been ported ok didn't work, replied in 30 mins "you haven't put the bonus simm in instead of the correct one have you?" emmmmmmmmmmmmmm yes.:doh:::bigsmile:
All ok now and emailed back a groveling thanks.
This tech stuff maybe I should stick to mechanicing?

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Well my apologies keep coming, :oops: just messaged Smarty to say wife's simm which arrived yesterday and we had a email to say the number had been ported ok didn't work, replied in 30 mins "you haven't put the bonus simm in instead of the correct one have you?" emmmmmmmmmmmmmm yes.:doh:::bigsmile:
All ok now and emailed back a groveling thanks.
This tech stuff maybe I should stick to mechanicing?
Totally off topic - sorry, but talking about grovelling emails - we went away in the van for the first time in a while the other weekend. I tried to tune in the tv, but couldn’t highlight the tuning option. I thought the tuner had gone, as it’s an old tv. Having read about the good customer service from Avtex, I thought I would email them about the problem. They replied very quickly, saying had I got it on HDMI instead of digital .......oops! Had to email back that we had only had the tv 9 years, 3 of which we full timed!! 😱😱

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back