Smarty are doing some good deals - any thoughts (1 Viewer)

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
swopped mine last week so far no problems 30 GB for £10 no contract so if it doesn't work out just swop keeping number was easy as well had the Pac number ready before the sim arrived It arrived as stated within 48 hours they offer free time if you are recommended don't know how it works but both parties get a free month

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yep I have got a Smarty SIM 30GB SIM and so far so good. If you use this link to order you will get your second month free, and I will also get a free month for introducing you.

Edit. I have been with Three before Smarty for a year and not really had any problems with the phone signal. Also used Three prepaid SIMs in my Mifi in the motorhome for a couple of years without any real problems. Of course there are occasional dead spots, but no more than I have had with other networks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Got one Saturday started a group and put the wife on it, so £9 each a month now. :smiley:

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
It is a good deal but sadly in Scotland mobile coverage is poor outside of the urban areas. It is even poor in East Lothian which is hardly in the the sticks!

My advice check their coverage map!

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Here in the U.K. 3 and Vodafone data speeds are rubbish in my part of Sussex. O2 signal isn’t great either.
I get 3 bars 4G on my Vodafone work phone but the data speed is slower than dial up.
Unless your under 2 miles from the 3 phone mast. You can’t even get a data connection.
Friend on O2 sometimes gets a signal.
Personal phone on EE full chat pretty much everywhere I’ve been except a lot of Dorset.
I need a network I can rely on yes it’s not the cheapest but it works.
Obviously when roaming it doesn’t matter what your home network is as you can choose the fastest.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I switched from Giffgaff to Smarty and tried them for 40 days. Gave up as I found far more weak and no signal spots (East Anglia)

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Got one Saturday started a group and put the wife on it, so £9 each a month now. :smiley:
A group is 2 or more plans/sims? So for a mifi router that's it'd be buy 2 for one application. Unless the other grouped Smarty sim had a phone to go in, right?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Yes two or more, instead of £10 each it's £9 each, I have a mifi as well so going to give smarty a try, if its ok I will that on smarty as well.

Aug 23, 2019
Shropshire, Market Drayton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
since 2017
I had Smarty for a quite while then noticed that I couldn't get signal even at home. Spoke to Smarty who said I should have full signal but it got so I was getting no phone signal in lots of places. I swopped back to Tesco where I was for many years. Everything back to normal, almost as good a deal only 8gb but that's plenty for me and yes 12 mth contract but that's also fine. Full signal almost everywhere.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I have had the Smarty service for over 12 months, in the motor home I have this set up.

IMG_20200308_175256.jpg

The Huawei home router is in a side locker underneath the seating in an aluminium bodied Cathargo.
I have a smarty sim which I alter the contract to suit my needs depending on where I am travelling. When parked up at home even in the locker and without an external antenna i experience speeds equal to and sometimes better than BT super flippin dooper fibre broadband. I did two trips to Spain and didn't have any issues whilst abroad and even use the internet to play BBC Radio 2 on my android head set whilst travelling again with no issues.
My phone also has a Smarty sim which again i alter to suit my needs and having been at home for the past few months i am on the money back tariff which with the low usage due to home broadband i think I paid about £2 last month.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
What get me is when the guy in the store would ask where do you live to check coverage I would tell that that is irrelevant as its a mobile phone if I needed it at home I would have a landline. How things have changed since the house brick days. I am considering get rid of home broadband as I only use if for work and just linking to the phone (I have a works phone as well)

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I did a lot of testing with Huawei router and Smarty sim prior to install them in the M/Home and decided when my current BT contract ends so will my association with BT. The set up in M/home will be replicated inn the house and it will cost less than half that of BT.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I don't know if anyone can help, please.

I am trying to assess whether these deals are any use to us. We have had such a good Polish deal with enough daya Gb, with tethering, and free calls within EU to all landlines and mobiles, that I have not looked elsewhere but some UK deals seem to be coming competitive.

We spend most of our time travelling in the EU. I can understand the use of the dats download, but I am unsure about phone use, for example within an EU country, or from one EU country to another.

The website says check 'here' but only lists countries outside the EU not within.

And if using the phone how much Gb does a call use up?

Geoff

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Phones calls and texts do not use up any data. Smarty include unlimited calls and texts.
Orange France sell this offer

About 4 times the price for half the time as one month with the Smarty.

Clearly aimed for Americans (hence price in US dollars) who do not have free roaming agreements in Europe.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yhanks, I did not find that. Does it cover all calls within EU?

Geoff
As I understand it, when you are in the UK calls and texts to EU countries are charged as extra. When you are roaming in the EU calls and texts to the UK and the EU are included in the unlimited calls and texts.

In the Uk the amount of data you get free per month depends upon the plan you buy. 30Gb for £10, 50Gb for £15 or unlimited data for £20. But when roaming in the EU your free data is limited to 20Gb per month no matter which of those plans you are on..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back