Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi,
I'm looking for an Android compatible smartwatch - principally to get notifications of SMS, calendar and email notifications, record bio-data such as heart rate and assist with navigation on occasion. I would be aiming to have to recharge it no more frequently than once every 2 days and have access to a reasonable range of apps and contactless payment.

It seems that devices are either very good for functions but have terrible battery life or good for battery life (like my current, cheap (£35) watch but poor regarding features - activities are not recorded accurately and no access to WearOS, Tizon etc.

What would you go for - ideally less than £250.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Do you want the watch to have access to texts emails internet payments etc without you having your phone with you? If so you are going to struggle. The top of the range Samsung watches were the only ones that I found that could do that, but you had to take out an expensive airtime policy so that you could mimic your phone SIM card on the phone. Mind you that was about 6 months ago and things may have changed now.

I have a Samsung Gear, which I got FOC when I bought my Samsung Galaxy S7 phone about 3 years ago. It works well on the fitness side of things and it is connected by Bluetooth to the phone to share info. But very basic notifications on emails etc. and only when the phone tells it I have one. I normally use it for recording steps and distances walked as well as checking sleep times and patterns and occasionally checking my heart rate. Battery life is not good on it though, I usually charge it once a day. to be sure it does not run out.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I have ordered one of these as it sounds good and great value with a long battery life.
I cannot give you a review as not got it yet,I should get it next week!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Do you want the watch to have access to texts emails internet payments etc without you having your phone with you? If so you are going to struggle. The top of the range Samsung watches were the only ones that I found that could do that, but you had to take out an expensive airtime policy so that you could mimic your phone SIM card on the phone. Mind you that was about 6 months ago and things may have changed now.

I have a Samsung Gear, which I got FOC when I bought my Samsung Galaxy S7 phone about 3 years ago. It works well on the fitness side of things and it is connected by Bluetooth to the phone to share info. But very basic notifications on emails etc. and only when the phone tells it I have one. I normally use it for recording steps and distances walked as well as checking sleep times and patterns and occasionally checking my heart rate. Battery life is not good on it though, I usually charge it once a day. to be sure it does not run out.
I'd like access to sms etc without my phone being with me but agree that they are expensive.

I have a Samsung S10+ phone so Samsung makes some sense but I've heard mixed reviews of the OS and poor battery lives of their watches.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Therese has Samsung s7/Samsung gear watch. Not overly happy with the watch, poor battery life and tracking by gps requires the phone to be with you as well.
Ive got Samsung s20 connected to Garmin smart watch, a much happier combination. The watch is about 3 years old (vivoactive2) but far better than Samsung watch.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
I did a lot of checking before I bought. I have the Huawei Watch GT2 and am very pleased with it. Usually recharge every 5/6 days.
Receives notifications and you can make and receive calls.
Lots of other functions and many watch faces to choose from.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I did a lot of checking before I bought. I have the Huawei Watch GT2 and am very pleased with it. Usually recharge every 5/6 days.
Sounds interesting. Can you make and receive calls texts etc without having your phone with you as well? If so does it use your phone's number or do you get a separate number and account just for the watch?

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Fenix 6 (y)

Edit...Sorry ignore that, just noticed what you want to spend,

I've been eyeing up the Fenix watches over the last couple of years. I like what they can do but wouldn't use one for activities enough to justify the price now but might in the future. I use my Garmin 1000 for cycling (easy to see data when moving) and am used to the Garmin interface but the cheaper Garmin activity watches have such mixed reviews.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
They look good value watches but I understand that they don't provide the option to use smart pay / google pay (one of my ideals), can't take calls and the activity data can't sync with Strava (less of an issue but would be disappointing to have lots of data in a second app and not be able to link it).

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Therese has Samsung s7/Samsung gear watch. Not overly happy with the watch, poor battery life and tracking by gps requires the phone to be with you as well.
Ive got Samsung s20 connected to Garmin smart watch, a much happier combination. The watch is about 3 years old (vivoactive2) but far better than Samsung watch.

And you know how to use it or is it just for keeping down with the kids 😂

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
like what they can do but wouldn't use one for activities enough to justify the price now but might in the future

I have a Fenix 5 and its great, it has all the phone connectivity I need even to my iPhone, but it's bombproof indestructible metal and crystal, and the battery life is awesome. If you are not using the GPS it goes weeks between charges, where some struggle for a full day, especially Apple watches.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I got a Garmin 735xt a couple of weeks ago (for open water swimming), it came in a very good bundle deal with a heart rate strap for just less than £200 . I like seeing the gps info from my swimming as it is interesting especially as I can’t swim in a straight line between buoys :LOL: . I wouldn’t have bothered with the heart rate monitor but am using that when cycling and running (slowly) , impressed with it so far,

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I'd like access to sms etc without my phone being with me but agree that they are expensive.
I have not seen a watch with a SIM slot yet. You need one that has built in cellular connectivity, what they also call LTE. The only ones I know that have it is a version of the Samsung Galaxy watch and the Apple watch. I think that at the moment you will be stuck with an expensive EE contract if you want either. Otherwise the only way you will be able to take calls and texts and pay for things will be if your watch is close enough to be Bluetoothed to your phone

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi,
I'm looking for an Android compatible smartwatch - principally to get notifications of SMS, calendar and email notifications, record bio-data such as heart rate and assist with navigation on occasion. I would be aiming to have to recharge it no more frequently than once every 2 days and have access to a reasonable range of apps and contactless payment.

It seems that devices are either very good for functions but have terrible battery life or good for battery life (like my current, cheap (£35) watch but poor regarding features - activities are not recorded accurately and no access to WearOS, Tizon etc.

Had my Samsung gear frontier for two or three years now it does all sorts that are very easy to access but I never use the full functionality, why would I when I have my Samsung S9 in my pocket. Battery is good I charge it every other day but it will last three or more if needed. Fantastic watch for around three hundred quid, it doesn't have a mark on the strap that is used every day . I have some really nice watches that have hardly been out of the draw since I've had this one. Recommended.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Had my Samsung gear frontier for two or three years now it does all sorts that are very easy to access but I never use the full functionality, why would I when I have my Samsung S9 in my pocket. Battery is good I charge it every other day but it will last three or more if needed. Fantastic watch for around three hundred quid, it doesn't have a mark on the strap that is used every day . I have some really nice watches that have hardly been out of the draw since I've had this one. Recommended.
I'm quite often in a situation when I wouldn't want to have my phone out but would like to able to take the call on a watch. I'll have a closer look at the Frontier. Cheers

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Sounds interesting. Can you make and receive calls texts etc without having your phone with you as well? If so does it use your phone's number or do you get a separate number and account just for the watch?
You have to have phone with you. Connected with Bluetooth.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
They look good value watches but I understand that they don't provide the option to use smart pay / google pay (one of my ideals), can't take calls and the activity data can't sync with Strava (less of an issue but would be disappointing to have lots of data in a second app and not be able to link it).
Huawei use own health app.
Yes, you can take and make calls, but you need to be in bluetooth range of your phone.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hi,

From a budget perspective you may want to look at CEX that have a range of Android watches, i have used them for 2nd hand apple stuff they rate at a b c quality, I have had one or two items that needed swapping back due to issues but its no hassle they will just swap it and come with a warranty

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
I've had Garmin watches for several years. Now on the Vivoactive 3. There is a 'music' version and now a 4 but the 3 does all that I want at half your budget. Battery life is 5 days or so or 2 days with gps on for two 2.5 hour rides.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I put old pocket watch in my shirt pocket and when I go to get it out I can feel my heart beating so I know hat I am still alive. Had a smart watch could not get on with it. Gave it away.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If anybody wants a Garmin Fenix 3HR sapphire, I’ve got one I no longer want. Stupid offers considered. It’s only sitting in its box since I got replacement.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back