Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
How astute Buttons........:thumb:

Here is another I did using only cobwebs........:winky:

Link Removed
I think you have missed your vocation too, kiss the sea goodbye, fine art is the career path to follow. That's two today, ShiftZZ is to become a barrack-room lawyer and now you with a career in alternative art. Never too late.:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Interactive maps scare me to death, you wouldn't like the cost on the continent.
Hi Brian, I get the impression from Iphone users in this thread that they can use their interactive maps or phone sat nav while abroad without incurring data charges. If this is the case then I would like to know so I can compare it with my Android downloaded maps and decide which phone to use while in America next month. Can anyone answer this Thanks.:thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Interactive maps scare me to death, you wouldn't like the cost on the continent.

Hi Brian, I get the impression from Iphone users in this thread that they can use their interactive maps or phone sat nav while abroad without incurring data charges. If this is the case then I would like to know so I can compare it with my Android downloaded maps and decide which phone to use while in America next month. Can anyone answer this Thanks.:thumb:

I downloaded the free "Navfree App" mentioned on a previous thread here on Fun, onto my iPhone 3 and iPhone 4s. i thought I would compare it to my Garmin GPS, whilst up in Scotland last week.

If I turn off both the wifi and the cellular data, so making it a basic phone again, with no net access, the mapping still works, as the maps are downloaded on the phone and it uses GPS to position fix.
The free App was actually in some respects better than my Garmin, both showed mph at exactly the same speed, distance to go and ETA's within a couple of minutes of each other.

If you take the phone indoors the app will state "Poor GPS" as just with your in car GPS, it cannot see the satellites....

So you can use the GPS app without incurring any roaming costs whilst abroad.....:thumb::thumb:::bigsmile:

http://tewha.net/2011/10/how-the-iphone-gps-differs-from-a-standalone-navigation-gps/

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I downloaded the free "Navfree App" mentioned on a previous thread here on Fun, onto my iPhone 3 and iPhone 4s. i thought I would compare it to my Garmin GPS, whilst up in Scotland last week.

If I turn off both the wifi and the cellular data, so making it a basic phone again, with no net access, the mapping still works, as the maps are downloaded on the phone and it uses GPS to position fix.
The free App was actually in some respects better than my Garmin, both showed mph at exactly the same speed, distance to go and ETA's within a couple of minutes of each other.

If you take the phone indoors the app will state "Poor GPS" as just with your in car GPS, it cannot see the satellites....

So you can use the GPS app without incurring any roaming costs whilst abroad.....:thumb::thumb:::bigsmile:

http://tewha.net/2011/10/how-the-iphone-gps-differs-from-a-standalone-navigation-gps/
Thanks Callumwa I will now proceed to download the same maps onto her 4s and have a back up while in the US:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

Hi Callumwa,
I've also got Navfree on my iPad, as you say works fine with uninterrupted satellite view and just goes on to dispel more myths about what iPhone/Pad can't do::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back