Smart Mobile phone for the elderly (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Hi All,
Looking for recommendations for a smart phone for my MiL who is 93 and hard of hearing. Needs to be sim free and if it has it's own docking station that would be helpful.
She only needs SMS, phone calls (including abroad) and WhatsApp.

Thanks.

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Doro is great for phone calls and reminders but not sure that it would do whatsapp. Tony is hopeless with phones he is now using or trying to use a moto g. I am constantly having to help. Nothing on it only contacts and still struggles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Doro phone on 1pmobile (uses EE Network) , £10 per month for 1000 minutes or 1000 texts or 1000megabyte or a combination thereof. 180 day before another £10 top up, unbelievably allowances roll over. They were doing £30 per year recently so I have them in my Motorhome Alarm and Cheapo Chinese Tracker - roaming as standard. Mother in law in Nursing Home had one in her Doro.

Absolute no brainer unless you have a Smart Phone and require lots of data.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
This is interesting. Taking note for the future. The only Dora Ive heard of is our van.:xlaugh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
this article is quite current (going by the date).

edit: but judging by the $$ signs I need a different but similar article... soz
tbf that IS the UK version of the site. Sloppy cut n paste

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi All,
Looking for recommendations for a smart phone for my MiL who is 93 and hard of hearing. Needs to be sim free and if it has it's own docking station that would be helpful.
She only needs SMS, phone calls (including abroad) and WhatsApp.

Thanks.
I'd suggest that if she doesn't do a lot of texting then forget a smart phone and consider a flip phone instead as this will give her the 'usual' numbered buttons to press but also the ability to use it for WA with a fair sized screen, something like the below, but there are quite a few to choose from now as there was a 'resurgence' in their popularity (less likely to bust them!):

Alcatel Go Flip 3 - Review 2019 - PCMag UK

My Mum had a Three flip phone which she loved (hubby's old one) but unfortunately one day it stopped charging and we got her another as she wanted exactly the same one (took ages to find it but eventually got one on Ebay), however it eventually died too. Fortunately before this happened I found a nice ZTE F866 Three flip phone at the local car boot sale which was obviously originally supplied from Three on contract as it had a sim literally 'stuck' into it and was pristine and still boxed etc, so someone must have just stuck it in a cupboard and never used it. It was as close as I could get to the model she had got used to, just a slightly more modern design, so she was happy with it, then a week later I saw another new boxed one at the same car boot for £4 so snaffled that as a back-up, she's still using the first ZTE so they do last quite a while.

1609275010230.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back