Smart car trailer - which one? (1 Viewer)

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
I hope to be having a demonstration of a folding trailer in the near future, but also in the running is a trailer by Phoenix with a drop down ramp and a trailer by Smart-trailers. Co. Uk. Does anyone have personal experience of either of these? (Not getting into A frame discussions). For use with 2016 Smart Cabrio Auto. Thank you.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have a Pheonix car transporter had it two years done 10,000 miles with it tows really well no problems. IMHO for the price it's a great bit of kit we carry a Fiat Panda 4x4 and travel to Spain for winter where we are now.we have Hymer Exsis 698i Gw 4250kg GTW 6000 kg
Hope it's helpful to you(y)(y)(y)

dartslf2000

Free Member
Sep 14, 2009
Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1999
We have a Pheonix car transporter had it two years done 10,000 miles with it tows really well no problems. IMHO for the price it's a great bit of kit we carry a Fiat Panda 4x4 and travel to Spain for winter where we are now.we have Hymer Exsis 698i Gw 4250kg GTW 6000 kg
Hope it's helpful to you(y)(y)(y)
OFF TOPIC!!!!!!! but did I see you in cabo de gata yesterday or the day before?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Brian James Trailers,brilliant build quality. Why buy anywhere else when such a proven Trailer is available. The residual values are also excellent.
I have a Brian James Bantam for our Smart and it is, as you suggest, excellent. What I'd say to the OP though is look very closely at the ramp stowage / attachment on any trailer you're interested in. The original arrangement on mine had the ramps stowed in the centre of the trailer under the car. Each ramp was turned upside down and was trapped by a peg-and-slot arrangement at the front. Fastening the rear involved dropping in a clevis pin and securing that with an 'R' pin. All good, relatively rattle-free and very secure. However fitting & releasing the clevis & 'R' pins involved kneeling behind the trailer & reaching under the rear bumper of the car - OK on dry ground but a pain on wet or dirty ground. I've modified mine so the ramps are hinged & stand up behind the car when not in use but for anyone unable to modify their trailer it is worth considering ramp stowage before they buy. Ramps are not light and aren't any fun to handle when kneeling.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
B-J used to do one with a folding drawbar?. Guy at LaManga had one and he put at the back of his pitch, then put his Gazebo on top as an "outside kitchen"!.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We have the original Bantam Smart Car Trailer. The company has gone through a number of owners and resurrections since we bought ours. It is very well balanced and easy to use. This was the only trailer endorsed by Smart for their cars.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
I will have a Brian James smart car trailer which I will advertise in the classifieds when a fellow Funster drops it off to me a week Monday. I do not want to put the advert in until I have taken a couple of photos and she is here.

This link illustrates the trailer (I hope if it works)

http://www.brianjames.co.uk/range/range_details.aspx?id=&rid=26

It will be available from South Kent (Old Romney) after 23 January, viewing by appointment. The price will be 750 pounds.

Perhaps I should copy and paste this to the classifieds now.

Happy motorhoming

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back