Small solor chargers (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
has anybody got any experience of these similar generic chargers ..? Thinking of getting one for the car left at home and maybe for the Mh just to keep cab batt topped up....

image.png

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Lots of negative opinions of these - too small, not enough sun etc etc.

My experience - I used to go to Australia for 4-6 weeks, car battery always flat when I returned.
Thought I'd try this:
http://shop.theaa.com/store/home/car-battery-solar-charger
For the small outlay, it seemed worth a go.
Result? Got back to the car after 5 weeks away (March) and it started first time (y).

So my opinion is these things are not chargers inasmuch as they won't recharge a flat battery - but the trickle they do put in will combat the normal drain vehicles suffer. First proviso, start with a fully charged battery, second it may not totally prevent flattening but it should delay it.

The one I linked to has an OBD connector because in most cases, the cigar lighter socket isn't live with the ignition switched off, and with the crocodile clips you have the issue of running the cables inside/outside the vehicle.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Thanks for the info @Langtoftlad i hadn't thought about cigar lighter being dead when ignition off..! So OBD plug makes sense, it would be a right pain if my car batt went dead while I was away for 6-12wks and was hoping maybe something like this would just keep it ticking over.... The AA one you mention looks ok(y) I might get one of them...

Thanks (y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back