Small side camera (1 Viewer)

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
I'm looking for a small rear/ side camera to help when pulling out of awkward angled road junctions.
All the ones I've looked at are wide angle 170°-120° which won't give a realistic view of approaching traffic, I want to get a 90° view camera but so far no luck.
I've tried the usual sellers at the shows, eBay, Amazon etc but drawn a blank for a 90° viewing angle version.
I intend mounting the camera on the door mirror so I'm looking for something similar to the style below, any recommendations very welcome !

3FC4E045-3688-4FB8-8BEF-9A5F86B120D7-2786-0000037719E8EF55_tmp.jpg B09AF3F3-0052-459E-9E52-CD79FD39140A-2786-00000378FB4AE470_tmp.jpg

OP
OP
Spanner
Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Hello Tony, thanks for the information, the first one you suggested is small enough and the required 90° viewing angle, if it came with a small base mounted housing it would be fine

I've seen a few that are the correct style and with the miniature 4 pin plug connection that suits my monitor, but unfortunately all 170° wide angle view

Regards Chris

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spanner
Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
I am thinking of doing the same as you Spanner
this is a slightly wider field of view but i think it would be suitable
http://shop.reversingcamerasuk.com/CCD-bullet-camera-with-Sony-sensor

Thanks for the info, I've emailed the seller for more info as the camera is only suitable for certain monitors and I would like to use the spare input on my existing Veba mirror monitor if possible, also the item is out of stock at the moment.

I'm sure a mirror mounted camera with a realistic viewing angle would prove very useful at acute road junctions and a good seller for any supplier if it were readily available

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
I got exactly the second one in your picture. Found I had a real problem sometimes with angled junctions when on continental Europe. Cheap as chips and an amazing wide view. Got mine stuck on the inside passenger door frame near the mirror quarterlight looking out the window. Used blutack and still stuck there!

got it from fleabay its model OS-C308B if that's any help

OP
OP
Spanner
Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
I got exactly the second one in your picture. Found I had a real problem sometimes with angled junctions when on continental Europe. Cheap as chips and an amazing wide view. Got mine stuck on the inside passenger door frame near the mirror quarterlight looking out the window. Used blutack and still stuck there!

got it from fleabay its model OS-C308B if that's any help

Thanks for the information, very helpfull as you're obviously very happy with the result.
Ours has Remis blinds on the windows and I can't picture the fitting position of the side camera, is there any chance of a photo of your camera installation please ?

Regards
Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Ill try tomorrow, but its stuck to the edge of the remis blind surround. You will have trouble getting a 4 pin connector for your monitor. The camera has the standard RCA video connection and a 12v power tip socket.

You would have to do a bit of making up to fit a 4 pin socket or find adapters.

I got a simple 7 inch monitor its plugged into, and its not a permanent installation (ie blutack) and the monitor clips on the dash. whole lot cost under 25 quid from fleabay

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I had same idea, the hard bit is threading the cable but worth the effort. I also wanted a 90 degree angle camera but settled for a ??? angle bugger, forgotten.
Here it is on holiday in France, superb for merging onto Auto-routes. Switch between this and standard rear view camera.
Cost me about £6 from ebay, including cables.
123.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spanner
Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
I had same idea, the hard bit is threading the cable but worth the effort. I also wanted a 90 degree angle camera but settled for a ??? angle bugger, forgotten.
Here it is on holiday in France, superb for merging onto Auto-routes. Switch between this and standard rear view camera.
Cost me about £6 from ebay, including cables.
View attachment 148494

Thank you for the information, did you route the cable through the convoluted rubber boot between the door and body ?
By any chance do you have the seller or eBay item number please ?

Regards Chris

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Here's one the same as I bought, perhaps it was nearer this price?
Unclip cover, thread through door (remove fixing to allow movement) thread into concertina cover to body, remove kick plate and "fumble" for cable. On mine it would not pass via inner wing as no obvious access, I used thick wire, string, cunning and loads of patience but eventually got cable inside and wired up. Video to screen, power soldered to back of cigarette lighter. Then goes off with ignition
Good luck

OP
OP
Spanner
Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Here's one the same as I bought, perhaps it was nearer this price?
Unclip cover, thread through door (remove fixing to allow movement) thread into concertina cover to body, remove kick plate and "fumble" for cable. On mine it would not pass via inner wing as no obvious access, I used thick wire, string, cunning and loads of patience but eventually got cable inside and wired up. Video to screen, power soldered to back of cigarette lighter. Then goes off with ignition
Good luck

Thanks very much for your quick reply and very helpfull instructions, I hadn't considered this style of camera but it looks fine on yours

Chris

OP
OP
Spanner
Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
I've now fitted the camera suggested by fellow funster Larby and connected it to the existing dual input monitor, very happy with the results.

IMG_0431.JPG
O
IMG_0434.JPG

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
What kind of screen is used (what spec)? I'm looking to do similar but face the camera forward, so that I can see if it's safe to pull out before overtaking on continental roads (with RHD).

OP
OP
Spanner
Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
The original over mirror mounted Veba AV70MM is the one in the photo.
You'll need a camera that gives a "normal view" for forwards facing and for ease of connection buy a camera that uses the same connections as your monitor.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I've now fitted the camera suggested by fellow funster Larby and connected it to the existing dual input monitor, very happy with the results.

View attachment 150791 O View attachment 150792
I'm sure I am being thick, but how is that view different to the one in the rear view mirror? I can understand a sideways view for difficult junctions but my offside mirror and overtaking mirror let me see vehicles on my offside when I pull on to motorways.
Enlighten me please.
Steve

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm sure I am being thick, but how is that view different to the one in the rear view mirror? I can understand a sideways view for difficult junctions but my offside mirror and overtaking mirror let me see vehicles on my offside when I pull on to motorways.
Enlighten me please.
Steve
With a reversing camera it reverses the image otherwise when you look at the monitor the left side at the rear would appear on the right side on the monitor.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
With a reversing camera it reverses the image otherwise when you look at the monitor the left side at the rear would appear on the right side on the monitor.
Hi Lenny,
But the camera view @Spanner has shown above is exactly the picture he would be seeing in the mirror right next to the camera albeit that he would be mentally combining the image from the two mirrors, and the view I see in my reversing camera is exactly the view I would see if I had a rear view mirror and a window in the back of the van, what am I missing.
The only difference perhaps is that his monitor is at the top of the screen so would not need to turn his head so far but the difference I would have thought is negligible except that it may possibly be easier to judge distances, perhaps that is the answer.
Steve

OP
OP
Spanner
Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Hello Steve,

If you buy a "normal view" camera the image you will see on the monitor is the same view that a front seat passenger would see, not a reversed image.

Chris

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hello Steve,

If you buy a "normal view" camera the image you will see on the monitor is the same view that a front seat passenger would see, not a reversed image.

Chris
Yes I realise that Chris, but what you have is just duplicating the rear view mirror. You have the camera facing to the rear not to the front. The passenger would see exactly what you see in the mirror. If you had it facing forwards then you would be able to see for overtaking when driving on the continent. and of course you would then need a normal view camera.
Steve

OP
OP
Spanner
Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Yes I realise that Chris, but what you have is just duplicating the rear view mirror. You have the camera facing to the rear not to the front. The passenger would see exactly what you see in the mirror. If you had it facing forwards then you would be able to see for overtaking when driving on the continent. and of course you would then need a normal view camera.
Steve

The photo I posted was immediately after fitting and I've now adjusted the camera to give a more sideways view to give a better view at awkward junctions

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Is it possible to mount the side facing camera inside the cab of a Hymer or other A-class? I have a 1991 Hymer 534. I'd rather avoid running wires outside.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Here's ours, the camera is in the little bulgy bit below the mirror, it turns on and off with the indicator stalk and feeds to the screen in the centre of the dash which normally shows the reversing camera. There's one the other side as well.:gum:
P1020072 (600 x 450).jpg

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
Nice! Is that a DIY solution or an expensive installation?

Came standard at new. But then hey, it’s a :inlove: Winnebago :inlove:.

The Very @old-mo TypeFellaChappiePerson, will tell you how SuperExcellent they are. :gum:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
Very jealous. I wonder if one could DIY something like that.

See my thread: How to monitor multiple video inputs from twin lens reversing camera, blind spot camera

The monitor simply has three inputs and will switched to the one that is powered up. You can set one to be permanently on, in my case the rear camera, but working the indicator stalk, turns off the rear and powers up which ever one of the others has come live. Simple idea really, this is my one, which came as standard fit .........

Declanmc

Free Member
Jun 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner
How did you get the cable through? I tried this set up today and you cannot get through the wing mirror arm. Did you drill another hole is there another way in? Many thanks.

View attachment 150791 O View attachment 150792

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back