Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Since the MH is to be used at Peterborough over the weekend where there is no EHU, I have checked the gas working on the fridge and notice it doesn't seem to work. Before you ask, the gas is on since the cooker and heater are working fine. The fridge works happily on the 12v and hook up. We have only had this MH since December and haven't been on a site without EHU before so I don't know if it ever worked. I just don't get the flash when I push in the temperature knob. Also, the ignition on the cooker doesn't work now although it did before. Can there be a connection? Any ideas? I do try these on the 12v.

Ivy

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
fridge

hi were you level sometimes fridges won t work on gas if the van isn t level:Smile:

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Thanks Scran. I'll give it a try. This is such a pain in the wotsit.

Ivy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could be crap and rust flakes have fallen into the burner tube and blocked the jet......seems a common enough problem and probably accessible from the bottom external vent....once removed of course :Doh:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Daft question but have you turned the left hand knob round to the gas setting cos thats when the orange light starts to flash and it starts clicking just a thought. Mine only works on the gas at the mo I think the heater unit has gone Cheers Rob W:thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Well that's interesting. I didn't know the flashing started as soon as you put it onto gas. My son and his wife are taking the MH to the truckfest at Peterborough this weekend but we are off on Tuesday down to Kent so if I can't fix it, I will try to find a repairer down there. Anybody know a good one near Herne Bay/Canterbury?

Ivy

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Maybe a bit too obvious but is there a separate tap for each gas appliance? Mine are all in the cupboard under the sink.

This has caught me out before now. :Smile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
on our new van there is a switch on the van main panel labled kitchen electrics. That enables the ignition for the cooker and the fridge. so check it out. If the ignitor switch does not flash it has no power so even if the gas is ok will not ignite.

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Right - I've been out in the van again and found the gas and cooker knobs under the cooker. The cooker is working so I suspect the gas is also getting to the fridge but because the ignition isn't working on the cooker, I suspect it isn't working on the fridge. Therefore, since all the other electrics are working, it looks like it is only the electrics to the kitchen which have a problem. Incidentally, the eye-level bar light in the kitchen comes on bright and immediately flickers and goes down. I have looked at the power centre and as far as I can see, everything looks ok, although I'm not an expert. The section to the left, on the power centre, has different coloured bits of plastic and each have a name beside them, eg lights, points and ignition. Should these plastic bits pull out and do they contain fuses, one of which might need replacing?
Ivy

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Un screw and check the fuses. One may have gone.

Once sorted, get yourself in a habit of pitching up and firing up on gas for 10 mins, before switching to electric. This will clear out any grit, groime etc that can get into the flue and jets etc. Just do it as you set up as its' easier to remember!

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I'll definitely do that in future. In the meantime, we have pulled the fuse marked 'ignitions' and the wire seems to have broken on it so we will get a new one in the morning, not only for this fuse, which is 7.5, but for all the other fuses and then we will have spares. Is that a good idea or will they degrade if kept for a long period? I'm really grateful for all the suggestions made here and I've learned a lot just by looking and inspecting. Normally I veer away from anything technical but I won't be frightened of the workings of the van in future. Many thanks.

Ivy

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I do not think they degrade, if as you say the wire has broken it may have blown possibly through a powers urge or a short circuit, it would be worth having it checked.If yours is same as mine they are spade fuses, mine`s a Clipper though
just a different layout.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Write down the size of fuses and get some spares for all of them,, other than light bulbs a fuse blowing is one of the most common faults with an electric fault.. :thumb:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
ON my van, need to have leisure batteries switched on to use the ignition for the fridge and the cooker - just a thought, S.

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Replaced fuse and got load of spares and the sound of the cooker ignition clicking was music to my ears. The fridge now works on gas. So Rob, what do you mean? How would it get a power surge? Do you think it is likely to blow again? Maybe I should just monitor the situation.
Ivy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
bit late now as you have already bought some, but dont buy cheap fuses from the likes of a pound shop/market stall.......they arent any good and have been known to melt before they blow...if they blow at all. :Eeek:

always pay the extra and buy good quality fuses and save yourself a lot of trouble. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back