Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
if i have read the info on the defra website correctly, it seems that caged animals, ie guinea pigs/rabbits[ but not ferrets] are allowed to travel to and from the eu with you without passports or any quarantine restrictions . is this correct ? and if so when you get to the tunnel for example do you declare them to animal control along with the dog or just say nothing ? anyone done it ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We used to take our pet rats with us ... we had no choice in 2007 and Hull was hit by severe floods and the pet shop who were going to board them had to close - as we didn't find out until the mornign we were due to travel we took them and they then always came with us. We never had any problems, sometimes we mentioned them, sometimes we didn't, but it didn't make any difference as the checking in staff etc weren't bothered.

Ferrets as you've mentined DO have to have a pet passport (not sure why), the same as cats and dogs, but not rats so if the website says rabbits and guinea pigs don't need them either I wouldn't worry about it.

The more important thing to think about is how well they will travel and will they be 'happy' going away with you, or is it going to disrupt their routine etc. I would also talk to your vet too about any illnesses that they may pick up abroad and whether they need vaccinating against them to be safe, rather than it being a requirement. :Smile:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We regularly travel through with G.pigs and Rabbits as my wife breeds several varieties here. In fact we will be collecting some more next time back in August. There is a limit on the number, from memory limited to 2 per passenger. Ours have always travelled well and without any issues. We do not feed them when on route, only hay and water plus paper in the bottom of the plastic cages and spare that can be changed on route.

Get them used to any cage before hand if possible and consider taking them for a drive around the block well in advance juts to make sure they do not suffer from travel sickness although with at least 40 animals we've travelled all have been fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
thanks guys, your helpfull replies are much appreciated . regards garry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back