Small parasitic current (BatteryMaster and Lithium?) (1 Viewer)

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I've noticed a small (200mA / 0.2A) current drain being recorded on my BMV700 that appears to be happening when all power is off on the van since I have had my lithium batteries installed along with a Votronic VCC1212-50 B2B.
I can't think what could be causing it, but I wondered if it is perhaps the VanBitz Battery Master taking a little bit of current from the lithium battery that is sitting charged at 13.4v and passing that to the Starter battery (rather than the lower voltage of the old AGM Leisure battery at 12.9V to 13.0V) as there is now sufficient voltage differential between the lithium battery and the starter battery

I have now got a victron Smart battery Sense fitted to the lithium battery to provide temp data to the victron MPPT, but that should only draw 20mA, so 1/10th of the noted currently draw.

Edit. The BM light is red, that indicates there is current being drawn

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our van takes 200ma with just the power switch on. I think it's the van heating control board, it needs to be on so it can run the fans to cool itself down after being used. Not 100% sure though.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I had a similar issue with a Sterling model. The voltage was permanently above the fixed trigger voltage. The Battery Master is more sophisticated using voltage differential but I guess the outcome could be the same, permanently on. I replaced the Sterling with a Victron 1212-9 which has an adjustable output voltage and a remote switch, I connected a 12V time clock to the switch connection and have set it to run for 20 minutes each day. It keeps the engine battery healthy with only a minimal draw on the leisure battery.

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
by means of an update, i unplugged the BatteryMaster from the EBL and the current draw dropped from 0.1A to 0.2A to 0.0 A instantaneously, so i guess it is the BM placing a small current draw due to the imbalance between the charged lithium at around 13.2v and the starter battery at 12.4V

i guess this is how the BM works - https://www.vanbitz.com/the-van-bitz-battery-master/
“It is designed that when the engine battery drops half a volt below the leisure battery, Battery Master automatically adjusts the charge and tops up the engine battery.”
eddievanbitz, any thoughts about how the BM works with lithium’s higher voltages?
Thanks

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If your starter battery is at 12.4V then the BatteryMaster is doing its job and charging it. 12.4V is not anything like 100% charged, so it's good that it's being charged. If a lead-acid battery is kept at below 100% for a long time (several weeks) without being charged to 100% occasionally, it will 'sulphate'. The lead sulfate that normally forms during discharge will become crystalline over time, and can't be turned back into the other chemicals during charging. The battery will gradually lose capacity, even though it goes through the charge cycle as normal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
If your starter battery is at 12.4V then the BatteryMaster is doing its job and charging it. 12.4V is not anything like 100% charged, so it's good that it's being charged. If a lead-acid battery is kept at below 100% for a long time (several weeks) without being charged to 100% occasionally, it will 'sulphate'. The lead sulfate that normally forms during discharge will become crystalline over time, and can't be turned back into the other chemicals during charging. The battery will gradually lose capacity, even though it goes through the charge cycle as normal.
My van is coming up to 5yrs old, so it is possible the starter battery is on its way out?
What should a resting voltage of a starter battery be? 12.7V?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
by means of an update, i unplugged the BatteryMaster from the EBL and the current draw dropped from 0.1A to 0.2A to 0.0 A instantaneously, so i guess it is the BM placing a small current draw due to the imbalance between the charged lithium at around 13.2v and the starter battery at 12.4V

i guess this is how the BM works - https://www.vanbitz.com/the-van-bitz-battery-master/
“It is designed that when the engine battery drops half a volt below the leisure battery, Battery Master automatically adjusts the charge and tops up the engine battery.”
eddievanbitz, any thoughts about how the BM works with lithium’s higher voltages?
Thanks
Your engine battery is past its best I’d guess

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
My van is coming up to 5yrs old, so it is possible the starter battery is on its way out?
It does sit at 12,7v, but not for long. Lead has a self discharge characteristic, much higher than lithium. The battery master does its job, it replaces the self discharge current to maintain a set voltage.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Unless you disconnect your start battery you are never likely going to see a true resting voltage.. the start battery is generally speaking always under some sort load , all be it small..but that is sufficient to keep the voltage subdued... so with no charging source 12.4v to me could ve quite reasonable..
If its been well maintained and kept charged..imo a good quality battery could well last another 4 years...
Andy

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
A new starter battery is only £100, so cheap peace of mind
Put our Reg number in and they only list suitable AGM batteries at twice the cost 😭 Tayna is the same.

Our starter battery is over 7 years old so I'll replace before going abroad again.

Ford puma 2.2 engine in our boxer.

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
The X290 (without a smart alternator) is not an AGM battery..
It says
“FIAMM 95Ah 800A starter-battery that was originally fitted to my 2015 Ducato X290. It’s a ‘maintainable’ type of battery, in that its cell caps can be unscrewed allowing the electrolyte-level to be checked and - if necessary - topped up.”

i had a look an my starter battery in my Nov 2016 build Euro 6 x290 is the same FIAMM 95Ah 800A, so a simple lead acid battery

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The X290 (without a smart alternator) is not an AGM battery..
It says
“FIAMM 95Ah 800A starter-battery that was originally fitted to my 2015 Ducato X290. It’s a ‘maintainable’ type of battery, in that its cell caps can be unscrewed allowing the electrolyte-level to be checked and - if necessary - topped up.”

i had a look an my starter battery in my Nov 2016 build Euro 6 x290 is the same FIAMM 95Ah 800A, so a simple lead acid battery
Ours is X250 2014 I remember the 'wrong battery' problem when ours was new. Don't know what our battery is but it's always been fine, I'll sort it when we get home 😎

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back