Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
A month or so ago I had a bit of man toilet-trouble, so the doctor arranged a urologist visit , he also said to go and get a PSA test even though I had had one a bit before . This was duly done and the doctor rang me saying that he was putting me straight onto the cancer pathway as the PSA was 19.1. the threshold at my age is 4. I saw him and asked for another test in case it was a mistake,, this came back straight away at 17.9. I got referred and saw the hospital clinic doctor who put me on antibiotics for a month and see again in 6 weeks. I have had another test and the result was 2.2 a somewhat big drop form 19.. It was probably a nasty flare up of prostatits as it has almost gone back to 0.9 where it was at first.
So you old men out there do not worry if yours goes high very quickly it might not be as bad as you thought, I certainly was a bit worried as a sudden rise is not good news.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I wouldn't mind so much, but I had never used it in anger.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last time I asked for a PSA I just got home from the doctors and he was on the phone trying to talk me out of it. Anyway I had it and it was negative but that was 3 years ago this thread has prompted me to get another one, I've had an enlarged prostate since i was 50 so 18 years but all ok so far.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Here we are lucky in that you can be tested for everything yearly once over 50 & you have a problem. Mine is done every January.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Assuming you are symptom-less, the important thing is to find out the level of your PSA in the first place, then have it re-done every few years so you'll know and have a record, if it subsequently shoots up, rather than having a GP tell you to have it done again in X months - by which time it could be too flippin late if you're one of the unlucky ones, like some of us.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Its strange how so many of us have differing stories and outcomes to tell.
I had problems with a urinary tract infection which having had kidney stones was nothing new, when at age 51 I got one that wouldn't go away with the usual antibiotics, so I was referred to a Urologist, who did a PSA blood test, result came back at 4.7 which he considered was above the norm, he also did a scan which showed calcifications in my prostate gland, which was causing the infections.I went back to see him after being put on very strong antibiotics which had the adverse side effect of making me feel very unwell. I did urine flow tests during this time and the results were recorded, the last one I did was very good, so much so he said I peed like a horse!
A few years later the symptoms returned, but this time it felt like I was sitting on a stone, peeing a lot, hot sweaty fevers, loss of appetite, and no energy to do anything physical whatsoever. I was put back on the same strong Bleaching Effect antibiotics, but this time the dose was increased monthly for well over 3/4 months. I felt so ill during this time, I thought my time was up.
I went in for an MRI scan which resulted in me having a prostate massage and endoscopy under anesthetic to check that nothing had spread to the bladder. Some growths were found and removed but came back negative.
Since being diagnosed with an enlarged Prostate, when it flares up I cannot walk far as my hips seize up, I get the nightly sweats and wake up in a soaked cold bed. I still suffer on a regular basis some good/normal days some where I have no energy or will to do anything. The last PSA test came back as 1.2 GP was happy with that and advised me to take Nurofen when needed.
The side effects from the strong drugs left their scars also, they screwed my immune system for a long time, and due to making me constipated has led to me suffering from Diverticulitis, so a high fibre diet with loads of veg is my normal way of eating.
My older Brother was not quite so lucky,his PSA test was rated high at 9.9 but that's another story, he had cancer and needed surgery.
Keep well, get checked out everyone, we got travels to go on.!
Les

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Last time I asked for a PSA I just got home from the doctors and he was on the phone trying to talk me out of it. Anyway I had it and it was negative but that was 3 years ago this thread has prompted me to get another one, I've had an enlarged prostate since i was 50 so 18 years but all ok so far.
Why would your doctor try to talk you out of having the test Lenny?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
NHS are trying to save money, so routine PSA tests on men over a certain age will not be carried out unless symptoms are present, you cannot just demand one anymore.

Silly as that sounds, its what they announced on the news a few months back at least, lets hope that's not the case, especially since the latest BBC newsreader, Bill Turnbull having being diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer, and his subsequent appeal in encouraging every male over 50 to get checked out.
Les

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
NHS are trying to save money, so routine PSA tests on men over a certain age will not be carried out unless symptoms are present, you cannot just demand one anymore.

Silly as that sounds, its what they announced on the news a few months back at least, lets hope that's not the case, especially since the latest BBC newsreader, Bill Turnbull having being diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer, and his subsequent appeal in encouraging every male over 50 to get checked out.
Les
So they don’t want me to have a PSA test, but send me a Bowel cancer test kit.
In my opinion the PSA test should be available for every male over a certain age, same as Breast cancer screening for females.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
… or just look out for your local prostate cancer support group, having an awareness event. Next one for our group is the first Saturday in December at St Finbars club in Coventry. Had one in conjunction with the Lions in Rugby in September where 260 men were tested.

It's nominally free, but each one costs the charity £13-£14 so donations are gratefully received.

Google 'Tackle Prostate Cancer' to find your nearest group - we all have our own websites. (Prostate UK don't organise any tests, whereas 'Tackle' is a federation of independent groups.)

Some of 'Them' seem to think that because it's not a definitive test - ie just because it's raised doesn't automatically mean you have cancer - that people at large are incapable of understanding that fact, because of course we aren't medically trained ……..

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I have a annual blood test for another reason but I always ask for PSA while they are on never been refused if I was I would pay for peice of mind, it only costs the same as a couple of gallons of diesel.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Its strange how so many of us have differing stories and outcomes to tell.
I had problems with a urinary tract infection which having had kidney stones was nothing new, when at age 51 I got one that wouldn't go away with the usual antibiotics, so I was referred to a Urologist, who did a PSA blood test, result came back at 4.7 which he considered was above the norm, he also did a scan which showed calcifications in my prostate gland, which was causing the infections.I went back to see him after being put on very strong antibiotics which had the adverse side effect of making me feel very unwell. I did urine flow tests during this time and the results were recorded, the last one I did was very good, so much so he said I peed like a horse!
A few years later the symptoms returned, but this time it felt like I was sitting on a stone, peeing a lot, hot sweaty fevers, loss of appetite, and no energy to do anything physical whatsoever. I was put back on the same strong Bleaching Effect antibiotics, but this time the dose was increased monthly for well over 3/4 months. I felt so ill during this time, I thought my time was up.
I went in for an MRI scan which resulted in me having a prostate massage and endoscopy under anesthetic to check that nothing had spread to the bladder. Some growths were found and removed but came back negative.
Since being diagnosed with an enlarged Prostate, when it flares up I cannot walk far as my hips seize up, I get the nightly sweats and wake up in a soaked cold bed. I still suffer on a regular basis some good/normal days some where I have no energy or will to do anything. The last PSA test came back as 1.2 GP was happy with that and advised me to take Nurofen when needed.
The side effects from the strong drugs left their scars also, they screwed my immune system for a long time, and due to making me constipated has led to me suffering from Diverticulitis, so a high fibre diet with loads of veg is my normal way of eating.
My older Brother was not quite so lucky,his PSA test was rated high at 9.9 but that's another story, he had cancer and needed surgery.
Keep well, get checked out everyone, we got travels to go on.!
Les

Like you I have had a number of urinary tract infections, there has not been definite cause except I do have some degree of retention for which I have been put Flomax (Tamsulosin). I am also on Ciprofloxacin. I would be interested to know which antibiotics you were on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back