Small grill/oven for van,energy? (1 Viewer)

dethleff

Free Member
Aug 21, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
15 years
Hi
I have just taken delivery of a small 1200W Grill/oven, for use in the van.

On looking at it, and then looking at our
domestic kitchen electric fan oven, I wondered, if I wanted, say, two baked potatoes, would it use less energy,using
the small oven?

Stan

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Logic dictates that the given potatoes will take the same amount of energy to cook properly IE 1/2 HR in a big oven or 1 hr in an oven half the power:Doh:
Come on ladies this is your domain
At the Americana Ror(Forestboy) minding a pan for his missus asked me how do you know when spuds are done
I replied there on me plate:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Logic dictates that the given potatoes will take the same amount of energy to cook properly IE 1/2 HR in a big oven or 1 hr in an oven half the power:Doh:
Depends on the efficiency of the oven as well. We bought one of those double skillet things at Newark and that works very well on the gas ring with a very small flame.

Come on ladies this is your domain
At the Americana Ror(Forestboy) minding a pan for his missus asked me how do you know when spuds are done
You'll be gerrin' an extra belt from Pammy for that :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Im way over due one Graham:RollEyes:
Geo
I think she's saving them up for a bloody good hiding

OP
OP
D

dethleff

Free Member
Aug 21, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
15 years

Well logic dictates to me surely,it would take less energy to heat a small volume oven to temperature, than a larger volume oven:Doh:

Same as it takes more energy to heat the Albert
Hall, than it does to heat a living room.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Well logic dictates to me surely,it would take less energy to heat a small volume oven to temperature, than a larger volume oven:Doh:

Same as it takes more energy to heat the Albert
Hall, than it does to heat a living room.

I've heard that they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall so maybe it depends how many holes there are in the living room :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Graham

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Geo

Yeah thats true but what he did'nt mention was that he then nicked em and scarpered; Greedy Bugger :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
Hi Stan, Maybe, I am putting my foot into it. From what I have read of your post, I have had a good laugh. The lads here are a real cheerful bunch. To the point. You mention 1200W, which is I take it is your oven/grill. That power of battery (1) may or will not work at all. (2). If you have an inverter, it has to be pretty powerfull, upwards of 3500W's. If you plug in at a site for electric, then it is no problem at all. If I have misunderstood your post, you and the rest of the lads are welcome to pull my leg. I can take a joke:ROFLMAO::winky: :cry::shout::Eeek:

Reread your post. Yep!! I slipped up. I get it now. Why not go next door to your camping neighbour, get them to bake your Pots for a quid, safe you a lot of hassle.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Everyones a comedian:cry:

Sorry - I did try to be serious in my initial response :Smile:

I remember having one of those table top Baby Belling oven/hotplates in the bedsit I had as a student around 1969/71. From what I recall it wasn't as efficient as a conventional oven - though (hopefully) that may have changed over the years, making the modern equivalents more efficient.

When we bought our (second hand) van one of the things we thought was essential was the oven and were actually influenced by the fact that it appeared unused. Apart from being a cupboard, the oven is still unused.

Having found the Double Skillet, it will remain unused. The way the DS works it can be set up to form a small oven and is certainly fuel efficient. I think efficiency, as well as the size of the device, is the key.

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back