Small generator surgestions (1 Viewer)

Feb 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
PPVC Autocruise Alto
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi just asking for recommendation for a small suitcase style generator, Not for site use just when at motor racing circuits without EHU etc, to run electrics in PPVC

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If your not bothered about carrying petrol a kippor is ok, or if gas Hyundai do gas one. If noise is not a problem open frame is cheaper.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Take a look at the Champion inverter genny range they are as quiet as Honda and cheaper we have a small one enough to charge the batteries👍😊

OP
OP
Feb 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
PPVC Autocruise Alto
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wow please keep recommendations coming I really appreciate your thoughts, I do have underslung LPG and a BBQ LPG point so that could be a way forward, Although as it’s for when racing always petrol available.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
What will you use it for? Do you even need one? You might find an additional battery will easily last the length of a race meeting without all the hassle.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
If your not bothered about carrying petrol a kippor is ok, or if gas Hyundai do gas one. If noise is not a problem open frame is cheaper.

I've a mate who's business is gensets, big site stuff but he does sell handbag gennies, has he calls them. He went to the Hyundai factory in Pembrokeshire to have a look at their suitcase gennies, he was so impressed he his now one of there dealers. If he will put his name to them they can't be bad.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
How will you carry it and is it just to run van?
When racing we had a diesel one carried on the trailer to run all the car related stuff, fans,work lights,compressor,laptops,etc
Never used to plug the van in as that worked fine as it was

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I use a Clarke IG 950 - 800w pure sine wave generator to top up my moho battery at classic motorcycle race meetings
As it pure sine wave it can be used to charge up laptops/tablets/phones et.

Not too noisy and 180 quid delivered - bargain 🙂

Screwfix & Wolfe have the same generator (different branding)

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I use a Clarke IG 950 - 800w pure sine wave generator to top up my battery at classic motorcycle race meetings
As it pure sine wave it can be used to charge up laptops/tablets/phones et.

Not too noisy and 180 quid delivered - bargain 🙂

Screwfix & Wolfe have the same generator (different branding)

same one I have , badged as Wolfe , does the job well & very light , I did buy a brand new Honda eu suitcase
generator, lasted just over a year , inverter went , back then you only got 1 year warranty, was a financial write off, I use the Honda cradle ones for motorsport , noisier but larger KW output

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
1603574907424.png

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
My Kippor generator lasted five seasons of racing 13-16 weekends away per year (running habitation electrics, tyre warmers etc and five years of continental fishing 4 weeks per year and whilst a little weather beaten and tatty, still worked perfectly on the day I sold it this year. Only sold as have an integrated onboard gennie in the RS Motorhome...

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
My Kippor generator lasted five seasons of racing 13-16 weekends away per year (running habitation electrics, tyre warmers etc and five years of continental fishing 4 weeks per year and whilst a little weather beaten and tatty, still worked perfectly on the day I sold it this year. Only sold as have an integrated onboard gennie in the RS Motorhome...
NOW you tell us Harvey! I thought it was the bloke selling bikes making the noise ( :ROFLMAO: we could not hear it at all, what make is it please?

OP
OP
Feb 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
PPVC Autocruise Alto
Exp
I'm a newbie
My Kippor generator lasted five seasons of racing 13-16 weekends away per year (running habitation electrics, tyre warmers etc and five years of continental fishing 4 weeks per year and whilst a little weather beaten and tatty, still worked perfectly on the day I sold it this year.

Blimey that is a recommendation thank you

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
I know this might sound silly, as you are involved in racing, but just a thought. You might find that you can get all the extra power you need from an updated battery and increased solar. This will be silent and not carbon-dependent.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I know this might sound silly, as you are involved in racing, but just a thought. You might find that you can get all the extra power you need from an updated battery and increased solar. This will be silent and not carbon-dependent.
Don’t they have things like tyre warmers and power tools when racing though. Don’t know just seen it .

Nomadian

Free Member
Feb 21, 2020
Not up Jim’s arse like some
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
More than some less than others
You have a big generator under the bonnet😁 most small gennys about 2kw output will only give a 5amp 12v dc output charge rate, the alternator on your van will be about 70amp output and be probably cheaper to run.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You have a big generator under the bonnet😁 most small gennys about 2kw output will only give a 5amp 12v dc output charge rate, the alternator on your van will be about 70amp output and be probably cheaper to run.
Would it not be better to run the generator to a charger rather than the 12v outlet on the generator?

Nomadian

Free Member
Feb 21, 2020
Not up Jim’s arse like some
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
More than some less than others
Would it not be better to run the generator to a charger rather than the 12v outlet on the generator?

True, it would. But then you also have to carry the genny, carry fuel, gennys are highly nickable and some people get upset about them, the initial outlay of cost puts a lot of diesel in the van.👍

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013

In theory yes, but in practice it can (& has) rained for 3 days at race meetings, so solar wouldn't work - especially in Aberdare Parc (Wales) 🙂

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Best and quietest are Honda but very expensiv. Hyundai do cheaper ones but a rule of thumb seems to be cheaper equals noisier.
I have a Honda 4 stroke brush cutter and it is a delight to use not as noisy as a 2 stroke, it just purr's when idling and not massively noisy when running (may be my earplugs but seriously it is not as noisy as some others I have used). So I can only imagine that the Honda Generator would be a quietist beast too.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We have the honda EU10i fitted the LPG conversion, run it from the barbecue point using the under slung tank. No need to carry petrol. Main thing is to have a decent charger, our Burstner one is only rated at 18 amps. We use a Victron 30 amp better result.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I have 3 genies. A honda 1000kw over 15 years old and still running, a champion 2,3kw inverter 4 years old, used in winter at off grid, sometimes a tank a day at 1,8kw load and Never missed a bit; and a diesel 5kva, over 15 years old, that I only fire up if I’m low on petrol.
My favoured is champion with its inverter technology, and low revs with only tyre warmers on. At Caldwell I used it few times and snetterton as the paddock gets filled up. Sometimes we share a genny 2-3 riders and kettle in between the sessions.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I've used my Honda 1e for years at circuits where electric is hard to come by. Cadwell etc. It's been fine, BTW the Honda's very desirable so ensure you've got a good chain and lock I use a New Yorker forgettaboutit with a kryptonite cable to the trailer a frame.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back