Small current drain from Gas Power Supply (Fuse 9) (1 Viewer)

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
Hi everyone. Long-time lurker but first-time poster... be kind! :)

I recently installed some Victron gadgets which allow me to see loads on the leisure batteries. Even when the 12v system is off, I noticed 130-200mA draw from something somewhere. Not much I grant you, but a constant 200mA load from a 100aH battery would make it flat in about 20 days.

One by one I removed fuses from the CBE DS300 and quickly found the culprit... fuse 9 = Gas Power Supply (3A). Once I took it out, battery load dropped to 0.0a.

What is this fuse for, and why is it draining the battery, albeit very slowly?

(I have ample solar so I'm not too worried about it, but I'd like to fix if it's abnormal behavior)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
It might be powering a solenoid that allows you to switch the gas on or off remotely ? Which model of van do you have ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
Quite normal for van systems to draw a few milliamps when shut down and if the control panel is on with everything turned off 300 to 500+ milliamps is normal. The gas fuse is probably a red herring and the same circuit supplies other things as well.
Most of us have solar panels so we don't need to worry about it.

Also your starter battery will go flat in 3 to 4 weeks if you don't charge it or drive the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
:welco:
Quite normal for van systems to draw a few milliamps when shut down and if the control panel is on with everything turned off 300 to 500+ milliamps is normal. The gas fuse is probably a red herring and the same circuit supplies other things as well.
Most of us have solar panels so we don't need to worry about it.

Also your starter battery will go flat in 3 to 4 weeks if you don't charge it or drive the van.
Yea, I have 215w of solar and an MTTP charge controller, so I don't have to worry about the leisure batteries going flat from such a tiny load. I was more out of curiosity than anything.

Start battery is now topped up from the solar charge controller, on the condition that leisure batteries are charged and power is coming from the panels :)

Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Could it be the draw from the victron itself. Just a perusal

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
When you switch the 12V power off at the panel, a few items, the permanent loads, are still connected. These might include the frost protection valve, fridge control board, or the heater/boiler controls in case you want to set the thermostat on frost setting. Also the step, but that doesn't draw any current. Draining a battery in 20 days is consistent with most people's experience of MH storage, I think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back