Spook.

Free Member
Mar 1, 2017
Kettering
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Hi all. Had this seemingly common problem of mid kitchen with very slow sink drainage. After checking the pipes for blockage (clear), I noticed the drain pipe being attached to the underfloor had no drop, (the van sits very level), so gravity effect was all but nil. I bought a water pump (4l/min) and installed it inline behind the fridge via the fridge vents. Wired it to 12v supply, operated by push button near cutlery drawer. Works well, but it's fair to say a larger capacity pump would be better. Hope this helps folks.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
animated welcome group purple.gif

OP
OP
S

Spook.

Free Member
Mar 1, 2017
Kettering
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Thanks very much Dude. My usual handle is "Spook".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands.

I found ours was a bit temperamental depending which way the van was leaning (only slightly). When I investigated there was a section of pipe which ran slightly 'uphill'! At least now I know what causes the problem.

Wyn

OP
OP
S

Spook.

Free Member
Mar 1, 2017
Kettering
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Hi Wyn. Thanks for the welcome. That seems to be the only problem with a mid sink. In a rear kitchen it would drain straight down.

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
I had this slow draining problem on my first MH ,It was the routing of the pipe under the sink it had a section where it went upwards , so I rerouted it and it improved a lot.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi all. Had this seemingly common problem of mid kitchen with very slow sink drainage. After checking the pipes for blockage (clear), I noticed the drain pipe being attached to the underfloor had no drop, (the van sits very level), so gravity effect was all but nil. I bought a water pump (4l/min) and installed it inline behind the fridge via the fridge vents. Wired it to 12v supply, operated by push button near cutlery drawer. Works well, but it's fair to say a larger capacity pump would be better. Hope this helps folks.

What sort of a pump have you bought?

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Wyn. Thanks for the welcome. That seems to be the only problem with a mid sink. In a rear kitchen it would drain straight down.
Not necessarily, ours is a rear sink but the pipe has a small section which has an uphill flow. Not enough to worry about though.

Wyn

OP
OP
S

Spook.

Free Member
Mar 1, 2017
Kettering
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Olley, the pump is just a diaphragm pump bought from Amazon, only a 4 litre/min capacity and cost around ! £15ish. If you typed into Amazon "12v water pump" , it came at top of listing.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi spook I don't think you will find this pump suitable for waste unless you are scrupulous in ensuring only water goes down the sink. Any food waste is likely to jam the valves or the diaphragm.

The usual type for waste is a macerator type, this has a high speed cutter blade to mince all food waste up.

OP
OP
S

Spook.

Free Member
Mar 1, 2017
Kettering
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
You're right Olley. I've made up a little circular filter from a metal flour sieve that sits in the drainer under the plug.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back