Slow cooked Pheasant? (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Bed of winter veg, leeks, parsnips, etc. about 3 inches deep in a large sauspan, some stock, pheasants on top but not in liquid. Simmer for a couple of hours. Take out birds, strain stock throw away veg, thicken stock and serve with roast potatoes, braised red cabbage, pour the thickened stock over meat.
A classic!Dick

.................or just nip down to MacDonalds...........

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
One thing to remember fresh is not good with game. Pheasants should be hung with guts and feathers for a minimum of a week in a cold place and if your taste runs to it up to 3 weeks.

Dick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I'm 64 years old and I've never tasted it (not knocking those who eat it) but I'm afraid I'm of a era where Pigs Face, Tripe, and Ox liver were a delicacy. Apparently they breed dogs to eat in some Asian country's. and I don't knock them either, as much as I love dogs.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I can see that pheasants can seem exotica to some but to compare them to dog is going some :)

Dick

Not really making a direct comparison, I suppose I'm trying to say you eat what you eat. How can I knock anyone when I eat cultivated animal myself, but as with, frogs legs, quale's eggs and the like I probably would hate them. As you would probably hate dog. A bit extreme perhaps but to some its normal.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Often put a whole chicken in the slow cooker And leave for the day. The meat just falls off the carcass and I have lots of real stock for making broth - would think any bird would cook well in a slow cooker.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I've only recently found I can 'dry roast' a whole Chick in the Slow pot-wonderful-I think if you tried it with a Pheasant you would have to add some liquid of some sort as they are a very dry meat and taste nothing like Chicken! Red wine would probably be good.
Serve it with 'Game' chips and a green veg-kale or cabbage.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We used to prepare a casserole of pheasant with plenty of liquid/stock, bay leaf, onion, mushrooms and carrots, in an earthenware dish with a lid and make a seal for the lid out of a strip of pastry. this gives a perfect seal and stops the contents from drying out.
Then slow cook in a moderate oven for 1.5/2 hours, by then even the toughest of birds becomes quite tender.
Serve with a good glass or two of Bordeaux.
Oh yeah, and depending on how the bird was dispatched, check each mouthful for lead shot. lol

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
One thing to remember fresh is not good with game. Pheasants should be hung with guts and feathers for a minimum of a week in a cold place and if your taste runs to it up to 3 weeks.

Dick

I'm going with this ............. (had them hanging since Tuesday) (y)

Screen Shot 2015-11-07 at 10.00.36.png

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Well that's the birds prepared ready for Sunday lunch tomorrow (y)

It was really easy, skinning them with the feathers on took about 2 minutes. Gutting was a doodle too :)

I'll report back when we have eaten them :D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A decent size pheasant is plenty big enough for two people and much like chickens, beautiful or not, are bred for food. They aren't naturally found in the wild in any numbers. If nobody shot them to eat you would never see any.
Sorry, you are wrong.
Pheasants are primarily bred for 'sport'
Gentlemen farmers would have bugger all to do on a sunday afternoon without pheasants to shoot.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
They were yummy :):):)

Tender, moist, and not too 'gamey' (although for the first hour of slow cooking they did smell more like sweaty pheasant than cooked pheasant :eek:)

Washed down with our last bottle of Irancy 2011 bought in Burgundy last year (y)

Deffo gonna cook pheasant again....

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I am struggling to find slow cooked peasant recipes.. Dog much easier!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Slow pheasants are easier to shoot - or run over. :)

But how did you cook them?

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Actually this has reawakened my notion to buy an air rifle again. Not for pheasants but I do fancy a go at some bunnies and pigeons for the pot :D

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Always had them since a child slow cooked, several brace a season at one time but have not had one for about 5 years now. I did though once try a recipe by arguably the most famous chef of the pre TV age, Escoffier for roast pheasant. A well hung bird in a hot oven for 15 minutes, sliced thinly and bloodily like duck breast. Not my cup of tea I am afraid. :)

Dick

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
A well hung bird in a hot oven for 15 minutes, sliced thinly and bloodily like duck breast. Not my cup of tea I am afraid. :)

Dick

Haha ............... I could not really press the 'like' button on this one ................. because I am with you on this........ a little step too far for me :sicker:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back