Slovenia (1 Viewer)

Jan 23, 2013
Mold
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Any suggestions of best route to Slovenia avoiding as many tolls as possible, although do not mind the odd one here and there

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
What weight are you (the MH that is)? Austria can be a pain if over 3500kg. Unless you want to tour Austria first.

We returned from Slovenia last week.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Stay off the motorways and there are no tolls or even the need to register/buy a go box in Austria even over 3.5.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
If you are not more than 3,500kg, then through Austria on the motorway is good value - a 10-day vignette costs just 9 euro!

From the UK we went through the tunnel, autoroute into Belgium west to east west. Then south through Germany and Austria.

I think the Austrian vignette was the only toll, and motorway all the way there

There are motorway tolls in Slovenia, but up to you whether you need them.

OP
OP
Timbow
Jan 23, 2013
Mold
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks all for the advice We are 3.5. Was thinking route suggested by Mikebeaches. Any recomendations of places to visit or stay Stevec as you have just returned.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
If you are using Austrian motorways get a vignette in Germany. Service stations between Munich and Saltzburg sell them where you see the vignette sign. Lake Bled is pretty but very touristy. We stayed at the campsite on the lake. We found it got full by end of the afternoon. Views from the castle were spectacular if you have energy to get up there (or an electric bike!). Lake Bohinj is worth a visit. We stayed at a site just before the lake and cycled there. Lovely ride on the cycle route. Camp Danica I think. The one at the end of the lake is a bit bohemian I'm told!. Ljubljana is also worth a look. Camp outside and get the bus in. Didn't use motorways in Slovenia. We also went to the Soca valley which was a bit of a trek but worth it. Came back via Italy and Austria.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Agree with everything Steve has said, I would add its worth visiting Bovec its a lovely little town with loads to do. They have a campsite at one end and an Aire at the other next to the chair lift, if you like the coast then try Izola. Again its lovely and you can either stay the night at one of the big hotel complex, you park on their grass car park and can use their facilities, You can also park in the car park next door or at various places along the port.

OP
OP
Timbow
Jan 23, 2013
Mold
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Bit slow on the up take are you saying Glandwr that we can drive on Motorways in Austria without a Go box as I am 3.5 ?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Bit slow on the up take are you saying Glandwr that we can drive on Motorways in Austria without a Go box as I am 3.5 ?
over 3.5 needs go box for where you need vignette if below 3.5

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
No, but you only need the Go box on motorways and toll tunnels. We are 6 ton and have crossed Austria 3 times once in the depth of winter without a Go Box. The secondary roads are very good. Just allow a little more time. They do however go in more for gradient than zip zag hairpins.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we crossed austria with using motor way we went calais late afternoon and stopped in luxembourg , then boden sea aire stopped mid austria for a night on a site then garda we were headed for venice but carried on to slovenia after that 3.5 tonnes and didnt pay for anything

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
At 3.5 T all you need is a Vignette, cheap as chips and you can purchase them either on line or at fuel stations before crossing the boarder. The fine for not paying is steep.

OP
OP
Timbow
Jan 23, 2013
Mold
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Is it necessary to by a Vignette in Slovenia or are the roads good enough to avoid Motorways. Taking the advice from places to visit, will probable do Bleb, Ljubljana, Lake Bohinj, Bovec or similar, returning Via Italy

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Is it necessary to by a Vignette in Slovenia or are the roads good enough to avoid Motorways. Taking the advice from places to visit, will probable do Bleb, Ljubljana, Lake Bohinj, Bovec or similar, returning Via Italy

We found crossing from Austria to Bled we used the main road which was fine as we had the vignette, from Bled to Ljubljana we had a bit of time as our friends were working so we thought we'd take the back roads, after about 30 mins we headed back to the motorway. I'd say for the sake of a few euros buy the vignette that way you have a choice, we did get stopped at the border and asked to show proof we where 3.5t max.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back