slipping clutch (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
firebrand campervan
Exp
we have a 2004 fiat ducato swift kon tiki and on a recent trip away (march - april) on starting out we experienced some clutch slip. This carried on till we got to dover (we live in somerset), with some periods of clutch slip, however from the next day on for the remaining 3 weeks no matter how hard we tried to make the clutch slip IT DID NOT. Ther last trip made in the motorhome was Xmas to france and small amoiunt of clutch slip within first 24 hours of use. No usage in between trips. My question is has anybody else experienced this is it common when vehicles are not used? for long periods of time. The milage is only 28,000 miles. any comments gratefully received.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I must admit I would have gone for a replacement as soon as it started slipping, it is unlikely to get better and could do more damage and cost even more.Equally it could fail in an embarrassing position for you like boarding the outward ferry.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I agree with Mr maxi77.

A stitch in time saves nine...

Keep driving with a clutch slipping now and then, and maybe you will end up needing a new flywheel as well as a clutch plate, bearing and cover.

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would say somehow you are getting oil on it, leaking cylinder or something then burning it off, is your clutch fluid dropping?

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Is your clutch pedal returning fully, mine stuck in about the halfway position after it had been left standing for a while, common fault I think with the slave cylinder.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Mine slips occasionally. Lifting the clutch pedal with my foot stops it. Owing to inherent laziness and the thought of standing on my head in front of the driving seat (A class with no drivers door) to fix it I'm still living with it. Point is it's a pedal / hydraulics fault and nothing to do with the clutch itself. Check yours isn't the same.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
I'll have a little bet.
I'll bet that you or someone else has put thin engine oil in, either now or in the past. Thinner than 10W40.
Perhaps one of the more modern 5W30 fully synthetic oils that your old 2.8JTD engine was never designed for.
I've seen a lot of examples of this problem, and usually it's oil seal weepage.....the oil seals weren't designed for and cannot cope with less than 10 weight oil, and putting in lower viscosity causes them to leak.
I suspect that what you've got is a weeping oil seal at the gearbox/first motion shaft where it exits the engine. The oil then drips into the clutch bellhousing and from time to time gets spun onto the clutch friction plates, causing slips.
Have a look under the van, at the large end of the gearbox bellhousing where it mates with the engine....is there evidence of some oil weeping/seeping out at the bottom of the wide end of that bellhousing? If so, I suspect that's the problem.

OP
OP
bonniechris
Oct 5, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
firebrand campervan
Exp
many thanks for your reply I will check engine later I know top up oil is 10w40 but who knows what has been put in at service station. If this is the case will it have done any lasting damage??

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
many thanks for your reply I will check engine later I know top up oil is 10w40 but who knows what has been put in at service station. If this is the case will it have done any lasting damage??

Sorry but the answer is yes. Once the seal starts weeping it will continue to leak.

OP
OP
bonniechris
Oct 5, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
firebrand campervan
Exp
ok but if regularly used how long or how many miles before it would nead replacing?

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Just depends how much o a risk you want to take, you will lose all drive at some time and may damage more than just the friction plate. Could really ruin a trip especially when you hear of some of the garage rip offs when people are stranded, I would get it fixed now, waiting for it to fail could cost you a lot more

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back