Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Moved from caravan in 2017
these are common in USA but only rarely seen here. I’m looking at a Moto-Trek that has one. Has anyone used one? Are there any snags with them? This one has a manual back up which would be useful if leaving a camper stop with a low battery.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I looked at one, but thought it was an after thought and a lets put a slide out in/on..

Very boxy looking no nice trim.... Needed a bit of finish to it, some nice wood trim ...

Perhaps they have come on a bit since we looked a couple of years ago..

Having had 5 yanks in the past... you have to give it to them they do make them to look nice..(y)

If they did one 3,500kg or under I would have one... :giggler:

Can`t beat the space they create... :nod:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I think the main reason you don't see them on European vans is weight, getting under 3.5 and leaving a decent payload is hard enough without adding a slide.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
American RVs frequently have slideouts , of various sizes, as does mine , but not really relevant to your query. The reason being , that they had problems with them when first brought out , this is what you need to ask about , is the particular vehicle you are buying .
The moto Trek looks a very nice vehicle and slideouts add greatly to the living experience. Looking at the pics , its not an overly large slide out and it only has a settee , so risk of problems due to say distortion should not be factor , as long as they have made it beefy enough , especially chassis wise. On American RVs they advise to operate the slide, after leveling and stowing before retracting jacks .
There is usually a manual stowage method incase of operational problems .
They are on 5 tonne chassis so looks like they realise that trying to do it under 3.5 was a non starter . Starting the engine would soon put enough lecky in to stow the slide :)

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Twin slide-out and only 4500kg......hope you aren't obese.
My RV had one 12ft x 3ft slide, the slide alone, Inc runners and hydraulic rams, weighed 1000kg

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
Well, lets see. Slide out on mine, and only 2729kg kerb weight. That gives 771kg before the maximum 3500 is reached.

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
This one:

Adria Compact SLS. I know that the one a person owns is always the best but they do have a lot of advantages. Under 6 metres when travelling, just a fraction over 2,1 metres wide (narrower than most) under 3 metres tall (annoys the French :LOL: ).

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Very nice...but it's only half a slide and only 2ft 4in and doesn't increase your floor area.

The one the OP mentioned has two full height slides which will weigh considerably more than yours.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I think the main reason you don't see them on European vans is weight, getting under 3.5 and leaving a decent payload is hard enough without adding a slide.

The Moto-Trek Excite G has a single slide out on a 3500Kg chassis and a user payload of 481Kg.

We looked at one 18 months ago, before eventually opting for our AutoSleeper Broadway. The Moto-Trek did look like a very nice van and it was a close decision for us.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I’ve been sliding mine in and out for many years and wouldnt have it any other way.;)

OP
OP
S

Seakerr

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Moved from caravan in 2017
According to the Moto-Trek website they produce two motorhomes with slide outs and both are under 3500kgs. My concern is are they substantial enough?

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I had my eye on the Moto Trek too, looks fantastic!

Then I saw what IH were doing with their PVC slide outs and I was even more impressed!!

Then I realised I hadn't won the lottery :(

One day though.... one day - fantastic bit of kit :D2

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Review Moto Trek experiences posted on here before you get too serious. But slides are a great concept if weight is not an issue, the European market has struggled with the concept and in my opinion have not yet caught up with the US concepts. The Germans are developing them now but in the high end Concordes and Morelos, but interestingly they do not get further than 1 slide, compared to the 4 I had on my RV. We are probably still 30 years behind!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back