Sleeping while travelling (2 Viewers)

Do you allow passengers to sleep in a bed or bunk while travelling.

• Yes

Votes: 43 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 67 60.9%

• Total voters

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
On occasions, yes i have, I have also allowed them to use the toilet whilst driving.

A split second and it could all be over and all that, yes i know. But when I was a child in the 70s i travelled on my mums lap, never wore a seatbelt and my dad even had the audacity to actually smoke when he was around me only 40 a day though, you couldn't see out the windows for the smoke. When i was 6 I was the only boy in the school to turn up at school on the back of a motorbike. at 7 I was the only boy in the south to get a lift on a sidecar (jawa 350 wow what a bike) and guess what, I never even had a helmet on in the sidecar. Well irresponsible? yeah probably, does me dad love me? yeah deffinately. My whole point is that too many namby pambies keep wrapping people in so much cotton wool they can't breath.
live a bit, we all have a tradegy story to tell whereby the person died despite taking every neccesary precaution its sad but it will happen regardless

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
when I was a child in the 70s i travelled on my mums lap, never wore a seatbelt and my dad even had the audacity to actually smoke when he was around me only 40 a day though, you couldn't see out the windows for the smoke. When i was 6 I was the only boy in the school to turn up at school on the back of a motorbike. at 7 I was the only boy in the south to get a lift on a sidecar (jawa 350 wow what a bike) and guess what, I never even had a helmet on in the sidecar. Well irresponsible? yeah probably, does me dad love me? yeah deffinately.

Hi Paul

Are you sure we're not brothers :roflmto::roflmto:

I had the same experiences as a lad.. my dad took us to Cornwall on camping holidays, mum and sister in the sidecar, me on the pillion seat.. and it took THREE days.. Norton 500cc bike and IIRC a Swallow side car ..with a sun roof .. wow .. happy days indeed.. camping was a farmers field, no toilets or pota potty, just a pail behind a hedge ! .. cooking on a Primus stove .. but what great memories and probably why to this day I love camping..

thanks for the memories :Smile:

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim did you ever camp at Bude? we used to go every year from about 1957 to 64, in a ford pop, took about 2 days usually, mum and dad, and me and my two brothers in the back, bit cramped. ::bigsmile:

Dad bought an ex-army artic bell tent in the early fifties and mum split it in two, then made each section longer and made a fly sheet to go over the lot, with some extra poles that dad made.

Still remember the smell of sausages on the primus stove first thing in the morning, or being chased by geese when we went to fill the water bags, canvas ones with string handles that used to cut into your shoulders.

Laying on the beach at Widemouth bay or playing in the rocks, sun was always shining, or so it seems now.

Olley

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Jim did you ever camp at Bude? we used to go every year from about 1957 to 64, in a ford pop, took about 2 days usually, mum and dad, and me and my two brothers in the back, bit cramped. ::bigsmile:

Hi Olley

yes indeed, Bude and Newquay, from about 1954 to 1964, there used to be a great site on the Gannel.. sadly now gone and full of yuppy houses .. if we saw you we probably thought you snobs with a car :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
We had a Blacks Niger tent.. heavy canvas and with big wooden poles you could climb up.. and if you tripped over a guy line it near broke your leg.. later on we had a frame tent and he built a trailer to haul all the kit ..
dad was a keen photographer and I had tons of b/w pics from these early years but lent them to my second eldest son and haven't seen them since..
one of the earliest was of me about two year old sitting on a home made seat on the back of his bike.. (pre side car days) .. taken under the Forth Rail Bridge .. my mum sat on the pillion seat with me behind.. :Eeek:

He's still alive and just as plucky .. and only gave up camping a few years ago .. said he was getting too old for it at 80 :roflmto:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi yes I have driven with Sue and Pads in bed especially when we use the very early morning ferries to France from Dover, I would a;ways like to get about 3 hours or more from Calais as I alway felt safer when I parked up.

Regards Pat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

E

Elddis"ar"us

Deleted User
sleeping while traveling

Guilty as charged grand children sleep in overcab double after 02.00 dover crossings. Can get at least 150miles before are we there yet syndrome sets in. Moving about while traveling is verboden, if need be side of road with flashers going like mad and sorry officer but oveheat light came on excuse ready and waiting.
Live and let live is my policy life is too short to worry about everything and the nickname for the overcab is the penthouse so they think they're travelling first class. :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back