Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
and reply today.. copy pasted

To: James Allan
Subject: RE: Question Asked from England and Wales FAQ Web Site
Reply from Ask The Police

James

If seatbelts are available for the passengers that are present, they should be worn. Please see the following link:

http://www.motorhomeinfo.co.uk/seat-belts-in-motorhomes/

If no seatbelts are available to use, then a passenger could legally be 'unbelted' in the rear of the motorhome and sit/lay wherever they wish. However, you should consider the safety implications of this, should a collision occur.

Please note that in the circumstances you describe, even if the person was not committing an offence in relation to seat belt legislation, they may commit the offence of carrying passengers in a manner likely to cause danger. However, this would very much depend on the circumstances and would ultimately be a matter for a court to decide.

Regards,
PNLD
(NR)(CS)
that was my understanding i.e. if available, seat belts should be used. It may also be worth noting that the European Whole Vehicle Type Approval Regs do say that sideways facing seats are not safe for travel and should not be used for such. motorhomes etc, now have "designated" seats and these must be fitted with appropriate restraints.

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
Is this legal!
Discuss..........

and saw a politician behind interviewed in his tour buss siting unbelted with his guest whilst the camera man stood and filmed them.

Vlad
Does it matter if a politician gets injured or worse, Its just one less parasite to get at our hard earned money through their expenses claims

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
According to the above you can only have unbelted passengers in the rear if there are no seat belts AND the mh was registered before October 2007.

After that date you cannot carry passengers at all unless there is a designated travel seat with belts.
Aha, this 2007 confuses me. My van was registered on 2005, but converted in 2011. Does this apply to me then ?

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
The reference to the old chestnut of narcotic gassing is an urban myth .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
As I have already said , it is not illegal to sleep in the back ,

Its not illegal providing that the motorhome was first registered before Oct 2007, otherwise you could only sleep in a belted travel seat. Even where the mh was registered before 2007 you could still be prosecuted in the event of an accident.

SWMBO often sleeps while we are going along, but does it sitting in a belted seat.

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
In the link it mentions seats badged for travel , is that the stickers I peeled off the seat base ? . oops ! .
Thanks for the info .

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I bought my hobby off a guy who only ever used it to tow a trailer with a classic racing car to races, mainly overseas in fact I still have a Monaco sticker on the screen, there was a ding in the kitchen worktop and a broken plastic hanger on the shower screen, that got broken when he had a shower whilst his wife was driving down a european motorhome and the same with the kitchen that happened whilst she was cooking a spagetti bolonaise. my wife has gone to bed in the overcab and the rear single on late or early hours long journeys home without me even knowing, telling her off does not seem to work, the reason I did not know was that we have a substantual bulkhead behind the cab with a sliding door in it so difficult sometimes to know whats going on !

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
The wife often goes and has a sleep in the back. She suffers from back pain and it helps. If all we ever thought of were the bad things that can happen we'd never leave the house, let alone in a 3.5 ton motor home.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
In the ambulance Taking Terry to hospital in Portugal, he sat behind the driver facing back belted in a seat I sat belted in a side seat while the paramedic sat perched on the stretcher/ bed. Unbelted! ! Reading this thread made me think he shouldn't have done that, he would have been thrown at Terry in a collision.
Also we saw dustbin men hanging on the back of their trucks every single night,veering round corners.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
As Per my Previous Post. Too much "LAW". not enough "common sense". the reply from the "copper" said it all IMHO. Fence sitting at it`s best.

Pete

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
James

If seatbelts are available for the passengers that are present, they should be worn. Please see the following link:

http://www.motorhomeinfo.co.uk/seat-belts-in-motorhomes/

Regards,
PNLD
(NR)(CS)

My two penneth......

The law is usually very precise.... I note the word "should" in the above statement.. as opposed to the word "must"....

Me thinks that someone is skirting the issue somewhat!

John T

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Well I think you need to look at the crash test films on YouTube where the motorhome is hit, that might change your mind.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I wasn't suggesting anything other than the law being very specific and the reply from plod ... being not so... :) (y)

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Like everything you have to determine the risk.I might win the lottery on Saturday but I won't hand in my notice just in case I don't.God forbid I might have an accident while my wife is in the loo but then again I might not.I haven't had one in 10 years of Motorhome driving so I'm hoping the odds are in my favour.If you worried what might happen you would never leave the house!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We used to put our kids to bed when they were tired, and let em sleep.

We prepare food, get drinks use the loo, and I've even been known to shower once or twice over the years leaving early to save times

Having seen lots of European Motorhomes in crashes, it doesn't matter where you are in it if the is a crash, and as everything flies forward out through the windscreen, being belted in at the front will kill you anyway

We never wanted the risk of belting them into the dinette, only to be "T" boned leaving the rear bed where they would (could) have been!

Jeez that cheers me up Eddie.

When I buckle my daughter into her dinette seat next time I will be crapping it now.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Law is one matter to me , and decisions you make for yourself (and not implying any danger for anyone else)is another matter.
Both our hymers (JJ's and mine) have only 2 seats with belt fitted. He can carry 6 people I think , I was allowed by the DREAL to carry 4. When I take more than one person aboard I always say "Be aware you will not be safe without a belt on. Do you still wish to come? Up to now got only Yeses!
BUT as far as I am concerned, I used to sleep at the rear, on the large bed while JJ was driving, mainly when driving at night time. Firstly because I know I am going to be sleepy quite quickly:sleep:, and secondly because being dead scared on the passenger seat at nigh time (I see....things on the road.... I'm terrible!) I have made more than once poor JJ scared by jumping on my seat:oops:, which of course got on his nerves, changing him into a grumpy git:cautious:.
It was my choice to go on the rear bed, and I knew the risks, and it was risky only for me, not involving anyone else! On the other hand , knowing you're being a pain for the driver, isn't it safer to go away and leave him alone??? Making the driver nervous doesn't help driving properly! Lots of passengers being properly belted can be a higher risk for everyone's sake if they get on the driver's nerves.....me think!!!!

Amicalement
Frankie:cool:

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Just a thought. Would it be possible to fit a 'bed belt'?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back