Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Is this legal!
Discuss..........

The reason I ask is that on my way north yesterday I passed two sleeper busses,that got me thinking tour busses etc .
Then when we reached our destination we watched the news at ten and saw a politician behind interviewed in his tour buss siting unbelted with his guest whilst the camera man stood and filmed them.
Not interested in the moral side if in a crash etc,if it's legal in a bus do they have different legislation ?

Vlad

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I wouldn't let my lady go back and lie down whilst I'm driving.. I'm not a "dodgy" driver, or a speed merchant, but its the others you can't trust..!! Not worth the risk in my opinion ..
I assume the rules MUST be different for the sleeper buses and as for the politicians, our rules and regulations don't apply to them !! They are "special"... OOOOh, I nearly started to "rant" then... Steady lad, steady....

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've slept in our Luton before now. It can't accelerate to throw me off backwards, if 'er indoors hits something I hit the front wall gently, if it's a biggy I'm going to die anyway.

Way up the risks, it's your life.

Then I get on a motorbike and forget to fasten the seat belt.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We have done thousands of mile in uk and Europe with 2 kids asleep in back seat with seat belts worn on modern cars and no seat belts in older cars that did not have them fitted
Whilst Elaine and I did 4 hour stints at the wheel and one asleep in passenger seat while going to and coming home from Spain
As most of you lot have done I bet
Would I go to bed in van while Elaine drove or visa versa
Yes if it had to be done but nowadays we prefer to dawdle along as we have more time and less pressure with our holidays it takes as long as it needs
Mind you when we did our Morocco run during last years run down I was on road by 7 or 8am with Elaine still in bed :sleep:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
On airlines - crew bunks have belts.
I wonder if the driver bunk on a coach also has a belt?
If it became such an issue because so many napping motorhome passengers die daily - then I'm sure legislation would ensure manufacturers provided belts on all MH beds...

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
I believe if you're over 16 you can move around in the back, sit down and lie down quite legally (at least that what Marquis Durham said) but your must wear belts in the cab

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
In the olden days , before seat belts were invented 99.99% of people never had a problem being unrestrained . the ones that had accidents were often left in a very serious condition , if not dead .
We are grown ups responsible for our actions , how would you feel if you had a non fault accident whilst your partner , child , dog was asleep , making a brew , making your lunch etc. ?
We all think accidents happen to other people , make your own mind up if you are happy with the risks involved , you should be fine !
Happy driving (y)

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Interesting subject have often wondered if legal or not but as said no safety belts in beds .

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Its illegal to use a mobile phone , doesn't stop people !
My wife went into the back to find an annoying rattle ( shower door ) on our maiden voyage . travelling along a long dual carriage way with no entrances on left . did a risk assessment , lived to tell the tale .

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We travelled most of the way home from skiing at Le Grand Bornand in France with my wife asleep in the Luton, my daughter & her friend asleep in the rear bed and my son asleep in the diner bed. They all thoroughly enjoyed their restful journey home. Would I do it again in our new motorhome, yes. I'm trundling along about between 50 or 60 mph with the cruise control on. I suppose it depends a bit on how competent you feel driving a MH. I used to drive our works long wheel based van all the time so feel comfortable driving a MH.
Also when I was much younger I went skiing to Austria with 18-30 (Remember them) and we travelled all the way there and back on a sleeper coach which turned the seats into bunk beds. No belts & no problem. It was a great way to travel. Don't know if they still make these coaches now.

Thanks Antony

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
How would our insurance stand if someone was asleep or cooking the tea and was seriously injured or god forbid , worse ,during an accident ? .
The point I'm making is that most journeys end happily , but some end in disaster , for whatever reason , are we foolish to increase risk by sleeping or moving around in a moving vehicle ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Years ago I used to drive overnight to France (cheaper at night )with 3 kids in bed in the back. They went to bed in UK woke up in France.
Probably highly irresponsible but in those days the seats didn't have belts either. I don't think I'd do it now.

Yes, six of us in an old Hymer 14 years ago coming back from kayaking in the south of France. Three people insured and able to drive...... Four of the six slept all the way from south of Paris to Scotch Corner..... they were all in the Dinette, strapped in but with the table in the lower position to make leg rests.

That was the trip I drove round the Periphique during rush hour :)

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My thoughts too!

My thoughts exactly Jon !
Loads of opinions as usual however Im after facts . If a mh owner was pulled over by Mr plod for whatever reason is it a criminal offence to have someone asleep in a bed !

Vlad

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I can legally carry 4 but have seat belts for 2. What would be the difference between them asleep in the back or just seated/eating washing/cooking ?

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

rebellious 1

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Funster No
If you travel the Motorways very late at night you will see luxury coaches operated by BEAT THE STREET,operated by an Austrian company,these are specially designed for musical artists on tour and they are adapted for sleeping and life on the move.The drivers are all professionals with many years touring experience,the aim being to get to the next venue overnight,so missing the worst traffic.Whether you can sleep in a bed on the move in a MH is a very mute point due to absence of belts,surely the safest way is to pull up and be completely safe.

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
For those of you that don't get it ,this is a thread to end all the speculation ,
Is it illegal !
To keep it simple uk first .

Vlad

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm not interested in opinions or old polls just the legalities .
Is it a criminal offence!

No idea.. a bit like A frames..

as I understand UK law, until an Act is passed in parliament saying it is illegal ... then it's legal .. or there is a test case in court when a Judge can make that decision..

you could ask the Police.. but they will probably just give an opinion, which you don't want.

Broken Link Removed

EDIT

I've asked the question on the Police site .. will post the answer when they reply

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If .in the UK, there is no requirement for all motorhomes to have seat belts for all passengers then it follows that it cannot be illegal?
To my knowledge there is no actual law against it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back