Sleeping in mh on your own driveway (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As usual on threads of this type there are various "AFAIK" type posts as to what is legal or not when inhabiting a motorhome (or caravan) on one's drive/in one's garden (something totally diffreent from the question of covenants of course).

The law (Para 1 of Schedule 1 to the 1960 Act) is clear and simple "A site licence shall not be required for the use of land as a caravan site if the use is incidental to the enjoyment as such of a dwellinghouse within the curtilage of which the land is situated."

No mention of sleeping, cooking or any other particular activity. No mention of whether it is the householder or a visitor (related or not) who is using the caravan. All it requires is that the uses is incidental.............&c.
So, if visiting (genuine) friends or relatives sleep in their motorhome rather than in the house it is perfectly legal. Incidental enjoyment does not, though, extend to a contractual/membership relationship with an organisation aimed at providing overnight stops for other members of that organisation.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Whilst I was on the District council for some years the rules were as I stated before.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Found this on a Local Authority site as part of 'Planning FAQs':

Do my neighbours need planning permission to park a caravan/motorhome on their property/driveway.

Planning permission is not required for the parking of a caravan/motorhome within the curtilage of a domestic property. Restrictions on matters of this nature are often written into the deeds of a property but this is not something over which the Council has any powers of enforcement. A civil action would have to be taken in cases such as these.

Do my neighbours need planning permission to allow someone to sleep in a caravan/ motorhome stationed on their property.

Planning permission would not be required for the use by a family member or friend to use a caravan/motorhome as living accommodation ancillary to the main dwelling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
In my opinion, if ANY neighbour has a problem with any other neighbour, the LEAST they can do is go round and voice their opinions IN PERSON.
Then if that does not get a mutually satisfactory agreement, THEN things can possibly be taken further.
BUT they should at least have the balls to go and speak IN PERSON.
Gutless I reckon.
And there would be revenge of SOME sort if I was the victim. !!!!!
OOOOOOh, I got quite excited there for a mo !!!!
Mitch. :LOL: .

scottie

Free Member
Mar 2, 2013
chandlers ford
Funster No
MH
Astec Devon 2008
Exp
July 2012
My neighbours tried it on when I relocated to a smaller property on a mixed estate of houses, bungalows etc, near the centre of Chandlers Ford in Hampshire. In general conversation after living there a couple of months, the female asked me what were my intentions with regard to my motorhome as it was blocking their view of the main road, it wasn't, and was I going to put it in storage. She commented that they looked into the covenants, but couldent find anything. I suggested she have a drive round and look at the number of motorhomes and caravans already on peoples driveways. I have a 6 meter devon conversion. To say I was gob smacked was an understatement. I said I would have a think about it and come back to her. Went back next day, said there wasn't much I could do except try and park at a better angle. She wasn't happy. The female and her husband are both serving police officers of 20 years service each, the only job they have ever done. I held back from telling them that they needed a reality check, and tune in a bit more to the broader community. Now I cant be assed with them

BravoTwoZero

Free Member
Feb 20, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Found this on a Local Authority site as part of 'Planning FAQs':

Do my neighbours need planning permission to park a caravan/motorhome on their property/driveway.

Planning permission is not required for the parking of a caravan/motorhome within the curtilage of a domestic property. Restrictions on matters of this nature are often written into the deeds of a property but this is not something over which the Council has any powers of enforcement. A civil action would have to be taken in cases such as these.

Do my neighbours need planning permission to allow someone to sleep in a caravan/ motorhome stationed on their property.

Planning permission would not be required for the use by a family member or friend to use a caravan/motorhome as living accommodation ancillary to the main dwelling.

This advice is mostly correct. However, planning approval is required if a caravan/motorhome is occupied by a non family member as this would amount to a material change of use.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This advice is mostly correct. However, planning approval is required if a caravan/motorhome is occupied by a non family member as this would amount to a material change of use.
Only if it is used as a separate dwelling and not "incidental to the enjoyment as such of a dwellinghouse within the curtilage of which the land is situated.". Non family members (or family members) who are visiting for a few days can use a caravan/motorhome without planning approval.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Only if it is used as a separate dwelling and not "incidental to the enjoyment as such of a dwellinghouse within the curtilage of which the land is situated.". Non family members (or family members) who are visiting for a few days can use a caravan/motorhome without planning approval.
It's only hard to believe because it makes perfect sense :D.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's only hard to believe because it makes perfect sense :D.
When one actually reads the 1960 Act it is pretty sensible overall, even though there are regular calls for its amendment. It's difficult to see what extra powers could be included which would encourage people to act any differently whilst avoiding the free for all which it was enacted to deal with.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
When one actually reads the 1960 Act it is pretty sensible overall, even though there are regular calls for its amendment. It's difficult to see what extra powers could be included which would encourage people to act any differently whilst avoiding the free for all which it was enacted to deal with.
Certainly as far as use adjacent to domestic premises is concerned it strikes a perfect balance. I'd imagine use of mine is similar to most - an occasional spare bedroom for myself & wife or the same for visitors. Use of facilities extends to bed & loo.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Certainly as far as use adjacent to domestic premises is concerned it strikes a perfect balance. I'd imagine use of mine is similar to most - an occasional spare bedroom for myself & wife or the same for visitors. Use of facilities extends to bed & loo.
We stayed a night on a friend's drive a few years ago and had somebody on our drive once. Both parts of social visits.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back