Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
With more and more campsites offering us Wifi connections I would think that Skype (Skype allows free telephone calls over the internet) has to be considered as communication option, especially when on the continent, where we know that a regular mobile can cost a fortune just to receive calls.

I fancy Link Removed. Has anyone used the new skype wifi mobiles?

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
With more and more campsites offering us Wifi connections I would think that Skype (Skype allows free telephone calls over the internet) has to be considered as communication option, especially when on the continent, where we know that a regular mobile can cost a fortune just to receive calls.

I fancy Link Removed. Has anyone used the new skype wifi mobiles?

Sounds good Jim but if I read it right you can only talk via Skype to others who also have the Skype phone? :cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
HI

Had one for a month and I am very impressed. We upgraded Shona's phone to one. For £20 a month we get 300 minutes to any landline/mobile any time, 300 additional minutes to other 3 phones and unlimited browsing to the internet and 1 gig download via the silver package.

In addition to that we get 4000 minutes skype calls. I was hoping I could also utilise the skypein service. This gives you a virtual std number that transfers the call to the skype address but I cannot get it to work.

I can use the 3 phone in the UK and at present half a dozen other countries incl. Italy and Australia with no roaming charges for either call minutes,skype or internet.

Reception is excellant and I intend buying myself one and also one for my son who is at university. He dissapears for days and weeks so with skype we will be able to see when he is about.

Fully recommend them

stew

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Cant you go Skype via your PC/laptop like I do now with the use of a head set?

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
HI

Just read Kens post. People who have not got a skype phone but have internet can, free of charge download skype and then you can use the messaging service.

This works very well and I use it all the time via my gprs connection. You can then use the instant messaging between the two

stew

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I use Skype a lot, but of course, its from the PC, does it allows you to use Skype without the PC as long as you have a wifi network in range?

I also use Skype for texts, only having 1 and a half thumbs makes tapping messages in on the phone a pain, its easy to just type out texts on the keyboard and send via skype.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I use Skype a lot, but of course, its from the PC, does it allows you to use Skype without the PC as long as you have a wifi network in range?

I also use Skype for texts, only having 1 and a half thumbs makes tapping messages in on the phone a pain, its easy to just type out texts on the keyboard and send via skype.

Don't have that problem Jim. The E61 has a qwerty keyboard and connects to the lappie as a modem, wi fi, 3g packet data etc...:Smile:

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

Skype seem to have captured the public awareness of the VoIP system in my opinion there are a number of other alternative providers of the same type of service, some of which provide very competitive rates that you should have a look at before you lock yourself into a single provider.

The main problem appears to be that most VoIP phone equipment to make it easy to start, has been installed with the Skype software and while this is very helpful if you want to stay with Skype.

However, its worth looking around for VoIP phone equipment that will allow you to chose who your service provider is, as that way you will be able to compare rates and see what suits your particular situation best.

Have a look at the following which will give you an idea of the type of rates that are out there

VoIPStunt - http://www.voipstunt.com/en/index.html

VoIPBuster - http://www.voipbuster.com/en/index.html

There are a number of other providers just search Google for VoIP service providers

You can get patches for certain makes of phone that will allow you to use other providers

Hope that helps, and make sense

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Hi

I don't think the link you have used is a wifi skype phone. Its the one packaged with 3.

Its the one we have. As long as there is 3 signal then you have skype on your phone and on occassion we have been able to make skype calls even when we could not get a 3 signal.

With this phone you do not need a pc at all

stew

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

Just for clarification does 3 = free or 3 = phone company

Hi

I don't think the link you have used is a wifi skype phone. Its the one packaged with 3.

Its the one we have. As long as there is 3 signal then you have skype on your phone and on occassion we have been able to make skype calls even when we could not get a 3 signal.

With this phone you do not need a pc at all

stew

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Hi

3 = phone company

It is an add on with 3. They call it a skype phone. You can make normal phone calls or there is a button which instantly puts you into the skype system. We have been able to do this with 3 for about a year so its not new but this new phone makes it very easy. It really is great.

stew

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

We use a £9.99 Tevion USB VoIP phone with the laptop when we are away and can get a Wifi connection. But we don't use the Skype system we use VoIPStunt as i find it cheaper most of the time for calling landlines,mobiles or SMS.

I have been looking at purchasing a mobile Wifi phone but a lot of them appear to be setup for use with Skype and from what i can read the manufacturers/retailers don't seem to offer any info on using an alternative VoIP service provider, does any one know of a mobile wifi phone that will allow this

Just to clear up any misunderstandings, Skype is a trade name for a company that provides a telephone service over the Internet by using the Voice Over Internet Protocol [VoIP]

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back