Trenige

Free Member
Jun 15, 2014
Isle of Axholme .
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have an Oyster Dish and had a small GM box fitted that takes the Sky card and it works. we only have the basic sky package. When we went away for 3 months this winter, after a few weeks the card stopped working, we also met a couple who saw our dish up and asked us if we could get any sky programmes as their card had also stopped working. We were only in France at this time. When we arrived home we had no Sky TV and had to contact Sky. They said that the box had to be left on with the card in as they needed to communicate i.e, send signals to the box/card. After complaining about it on the Sky Forum, I was told that Sky are now sending what is known as a keep alive signal to the sky card. A signal is sent with a certain amont of viewing time, I dont know how much,shortly before that time expires another signal is sent with another period of viewing time, and so on. Si it seems if you want to watch sky you will have to take your box from home which needs mains power.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We have an Oyster Dish and had a small GM box fitted that takes the Sky card and it works. we only have the basic sky package. When we went away for 3 months this winter, after a few weeks the card stopped working, we also met a couple who saw our dish up and asked us if we could get any sky programmes as their card had also stopped working. We were only in France at this time. When we arrived home we had no Sky TV and had to contact Sky. They said that the box had to be left on with the card in as they needed to communicate i.e, send signals to the box/card. After complaining about it on the Sky Forum, I was told that Sky are now sending what is known as a keep alive signal to the sky card. A signal is sent with a certain amont of viewing time, I dont know how much,shortly before that time expires another signal is sent with another period of viewing time, and so on. Si it seems if you want to watch sky you will have to take your box from home which needs mains power.
This isn't new - it has been part of Skys T&Cs for as long as I can remember.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Cards usually need to be left in a sky box to get the "stay alive" signal, which is sent very regularly.
You can turn off a sky box for about 3-4 weeks before the card "goes to sleep" after missing too many signals.
So perhaps as you were using a card in a "non sky box" it was no longer able to process that signals, so the card went to sleep after 3-4 weeks.
If it misses a signals, sometimes if you leave it in a sky box for 24 hours it wakes up automatically.
Other wise you need to call Sky to get them to send a "activation" signal.
This has pretty much always been the case.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back