Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
I have Sky at home, we have the following installed.

A Sky+ box :thumb: in the lounge with 2 wires coming from the dish and a normal Sky box (no plus on this 1 :Sad:) with 1 wire coming from the dish in the bedroom. We have 1 dish.

I need to know the following.

1. I plan on changing the normal Sky+ box to a Sky High Def+ box so I can get the BBC etc high def channels. I dont want to upgrade my subscription to HD. Does the Sky HD box output all channels HD or standard down the HDMI cable or do the normal channels come down a separate scart lead??

2. If i was to change the LMB at the dish to a quad system and run another wire to the bedroom would I then be able to fit the Sky+ box from the lounge into the bedroom and have Sky+ upstairs, or is there something in the standard Sky box card that prevents you simply changing the boxes around??

3. We have just had a conservatory built and would like to move the normal Sky box from upstairs into the conservatory. If i change the LMB to a 5 output system (is this available??) and run another cable to the conservatory and get one of those Sky cards (not sure what they are called but i believe they are free and you get all the normal Freeview channels but none of the subscription stuff on the Sky system) will I then get all the Freeview channels as the Freeview signal where we live is very poor.

4. Can you receive the new satelitte Freeview channels (not sure of the name :Doh:, sorry!!) from a Sky dish with the correct decoder or is it a different system altogether??

I think thats about it :Eeek: any suggestions or helpful tips much appreciated as always

Cheers :thumb::thumb:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Question 4, Its called FreeSat freesat - Home and yes you can use your existing Sky dish in the same position, you can if you buy the correct FreeSat box actually pass the same cable through it to your sky box (In and Out) albeit they do recommend a separate lead ? if you buy a FreeSat HD box that will give you BBC and ITV HD channels free and I think Channel 4 HD is on the cards. as for your existing Sky card I think you can move them anywhere you like as some people take them with them when they go on holiday to Europe

hope that helps

I have Sky at home, we have the following installed.

A Sky+ box :thumb: in the lounge with 2 wires coming from the dish and a normal Sky box (no plus on this 1 :Sad:) with 1 wire coming from the dish in the bedroom. We have 1 dish.

I need to know the following.

1. I plan on changing the normal Sky+ box to a Sky High Def+ box so I can get the BBC etc high def channels. I dont want to upgrade my subscription to HD. Does the Sky HD box output all channels HD or standard down the HDMI cable or do the normal channels come down a separate scart lead??

2. If i was to change the LMB at the dish to a quad system and run another wire to the bedroom would I then be able to fit the Sky+ box from the lounge into the bedroom and have Sky+ upstairs, or is there something in the standard Sky box card that prevents you simply changing the boxes around??

3. We have just had a conservatory built and would like to move the normal Sky box from upstairs into the conservatory. If i change the LMB to a 5 output system (is this available??) and run another cable to the conservatory and get one of those Sky cards (not sure what they are called but i believe they are free and you get all the normal Freeview channels but none of the subscription stuff on the Sky system) will I then get all the Freeview channels as the Freeview signal where we live is very poor.

4. Can you receive the new satelitte Freeview channels (not sure of the name :Doh:, sorry!!) from a Sky dish with the correct decoder or is it a different system altogether??

I think thats about it :Eeek: any suggestions or helpful tips much appreciated as always

Cheers :thumb::thumb:

adventure

Free Member
Oct 16, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
25 years
Hi Dazzer

Q1. Yes the HD box output all of the channels through the HDMI lead, the only difference is that the standared definition channels are not in HD format

Q2. As long as your second card has a subscription on it then it will give you sky plus functionality, if the card is just a free to view card then it will not enable you to use the record functions, although you can have this switched on for an extra fee,
I would have thought the second card you had was a matched card to the first.

Q3. You would probably need an octo LNB but yes that would work, the £20 sky card allows you to watch all of the free to view channels including channel 5, with out the card you will recieve the channels except 5 and of course you wont get sky three.

Q4. As mentioned the service from the BBC is called Freesat, it is no different from what you will recieve free to air on your old sky box, if you bought a HD freesat box you would get HD stations for free, but the box is £150 ish and you already have a working sky box

Nick

The above is just my opinion and my understanding of the sky set up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
I'm pretty sure (95%) that you will need a HD subscription from Sky in order to receive BBC HD via a Sky HD box, this is £10 a month on top of your package rate.

Freesat is very good, and it's the route I followed.

BTW, B&Q are currently selling freesat kits (dish, fittings, cable and standard receiver) for less than £40.

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
I'm pretty sure (95%) that you will need a HD subscription from Sky in order to receive BBC HD via a Sky HD box, this is £10 a month on top of your package rate.

Freesat is very good, and it's the route I followed.

BTW, B&Q are currently selling freesat kits (dish, fittings, cable and standard receiver) for less than £40.

My friend is trying my sky card in his HD box tonight to see if i get the BBC HD channel. I will let you know how it goes on.

Many thanks for all the replies. Just as a matter of interest does anyone know how much i should be paying for a HD box?? I thought about £100ish, does that sound right??

Looks like ill be getting out the coax cable when i get back from me jollies and running a few more wires :Doh:

Thanks once again :thumb:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None

no.

all you need is a HD receiver only...there is no subscription required for bbc hd on a skyhd receeiver.

you need a freesatfromsky card at least to view C4HD

you need a sky HD subscription for all the other sky hd channels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
no.

all you need is a HD receiver only...there is no subscription required for bbc hd on a skyhd receeiver.

you need a freesatfromsky card at least to view C4HD

you need a sky HD subscription for all the other sky hd channels.

COOL :thumb:

I'll need to find a cheapish sky HD receiver now.

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Yupp i can confirm that you get the BBC HD channel on a normal sky card. :thumb:

Just need to get an 8 outlet LMB (about £25 off ebay) and a HD box and im a happy bunny ::bigsmile::thumb:

Thanks for the input and the answers:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back