lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi all just a wee question for you T V experts. we where away for the weekend and took the Sky box from the house as we normally do, due to the amount of trees around us we couldn't get a signal so thought no problem we can watch the recorder stuff on the box. It wouldn't work is it me being thick or do you need a signal to watch recorded stuff i assumed once it was on the box it would be possible to view at anytime.

Gerry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I thought the sky+ boxes were nowt more than a hard drive storage device....cant see why you should need a satellite signal to watch something on a hard drive :whatthe:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
You do need at least one signal input for the box to work.

That's just the way it is. It is Sky after all.

Pete:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
They need a signal from the satellite to watch recorded material. Its so the card entitlements can be checked to make sure your subscription allows you to watch that channel.

If i rememeber correctly, or unless it has changed, this may only be for Sky pay TV channels, and not FTA channels.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Can't say if you need a signal but they are clever little boxes and Sky are grasping bar stewards.

About a year ago I decided to cancel Sky Movies. Before doing so I filled up the Sky+ with a load of recorded films. After I had cancelled I wasn't able to watch the films I had recorded off Sky movies only those I had recorded off the free channels.

They must encrypt them or something.:Sad:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
It will be because your subscription is not longer for Sky Movies, so you cannot watch Sky Movie channels, either live or recorded.
You cant watch something that you do not subscribe to - even if you were subscribing at the time you recorded.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It will be because your subscription is not longer for Sky Movies, so you cannot watch Sky Movie channels, either live or recorded.
You cant watch something that you do not subscribe to - even if you were subscribing at the time you recorded.

I gathered that yes but I still think its a con.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks for the reply's, just so you know i was unable to watch the FTA programmes that i had recorded also will just have to make sure we pack some dvd,s then.

Or is there any way once i recorded them to my sky box i can download them to my pc or can i record using skygo so it is saved to my laptop hard drive instead.

Thanks Gerry

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you can copy prerecorded programs to DVD or VHS, and sky has a menu for this built in

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
you can copy prerecorded programs to DVD or VHS, and sky has a menu for this built in

Hi big1 thanks for that reply looks simple, just one question though can i just plug my laptop into the skybox or do i need a stand alone dvd recorder

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
standalone DVD recorder or VHS or with some fiddling and a video capture dongle, you can use a laptop.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Its true, you need a signal so sky will allow skyplus to work. They are clever little sods.
Give up sky and buy a humax box. its freesat HD hard drive recording and works a treat for free.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks big1 sounds to complicated for me will stick to dvd's :ROFLMAO:

Yes i agreee gilnphil but im still to find a freesat box that will give me live Scottish football and live Golf if you could recommend one id buy it tomorrow.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thanks big1 sounds to complicated for me will stick to dvd's :ROFLMAO:

Yes i agreee gilnphil but im still to find a freesat box that will give me live Scottish football and live Golf if you could recommend one id buy it tomorrow.

Live Scottish football Gerry?

My first thought was you must be a glutton for punishment.

My recollection that you run marathons for fun just confirmed it

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Live Scottish football Gerry?

My first thought was you must be a glutton for punishment.

My recollection that you run marathons for fun just confirmed it

I didn't say i watched it i just like to have it as a threat to Sophie if she misbehaves she has to watch a full match :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I also cant remember saying running a marathon was fun :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: so thinking of doing a double one to see if its double the fun

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back