SKY Q query (1 Viewer)

DJP

Free Member
Nov 4, 2008
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
Exp
SKY Q box. Does anyone know if I can take my SKY Q box out of the house and use it in the van, specifically to watch previously downloaded programmes and record other programmes whilst away? I have a twin LNB dish on the van. I don't want to use the Q box for catch up or Netflix or anything else that is dependant on broadband.
OR
Can I take the card out of the Q box and use that in a SKY+ HD box in the van? (I appreciate that I will have to pair with the + box and again when I put back in the Q box

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I doubt it, when mine was installed the two boxes, I was told, use different technology, but apart from that they use different LNB's. I always take my Sky box to the Faroes where I have a 1.2m dish but I've had to buy a Sky Q wideband LNB @£50 and hope it works out there when I go next week. RoadPro were working on an LNB for their 40cm dome but gave up before I went to Norway so no TV for me out there last month.

Last edited:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
SKY Q box. Does anyone know if I can take my SKY Q box out of the house and use it in the van, specifically to watch previously downloaded programmes and record other programmes whilst away? I have a twin LNB dish on the van. I don't want to use the Q box for catch up or Netflix or anything else that is dependant on broadband.

As long as the SkyQ box can get a satellite signal, then you can watch live and recorded programmes.
SkyQ uses a different LNB to that used by a Sky, Sky+, Sky HD and Sky+HD box, so before you can use it then the LNB will have to be changed.

Can I take the card out of the Q box and use that in a SKY+ HD box in the van? (I appreciate that I will have to pair with the + box and again when I put back in the Q box

As far as I am aware, Sky will not pair a SkyQ card to another box.
You may be able to take the SkyQ card out of the SkyQ box and use it in another box (you can try this before you go, but there have been mixed reports that they work and dont work), but without pairing no Sky HD, Sports or Movie channels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DJP

DJP

Free Member
Nov 4, 2008
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
Exp
Many thanks for your comments. It looks like a no go then. I will try the card in the + box and see what happens.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Many thanks for your comments. It looks like a no go then. I will try the card in the + box and see what happens.

Yes please, and report back. Perhaps you could even try and pair it. (y)

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
We have customers that use Sky Q at home and then use the automated paring service when they want to go away and use the subscription card in their Sky HD box in the vehicle. I was skeptical about whether this was possible but I now know of 4 different people who do the same thing and state that it works.

roger7

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
pvc
Exp
Has any one who has paired the sky Q card with a sky hd box incurred an additional charge when the card was again paired with the sky Q box.
The sky engineer who upgraded my system today advised me (as they do) that this could be a problem.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Problem is when abroad the card won’t initialise the box without a sat signal and you won’t be able to access any programmes or your saved films etc.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Problem is when abroad the card won’t initialise the box without a sat signal and you won’t be able to access any programmes or your saved films etc.
That’s the biggest problem we found with our sky plus box - just when you need your recorded programmes to watch because there is no signal, you can’t watch them because there is no signal! We gave up on Sky in the end and have a Humax pvr Box, which we now use at home, and then load up on programmes to watch whilst we are away. Haven’t even fitted a satellite system on this van and don’t miss it. Use a firestick and Vodafone 100gb in MiFi for live tv. It’s more relaxing than constantly searching for a signal, moving pitches etc. Haven’t missed Sky one bit - they keep sending us offers, but I think they would have to pay me! ?

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
This is why we havent gone for Sky Q, we just move the +HD box to the van and reset it to single LNB mode. No probs watching recorded programs with or without a Sat signal.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
This is why we havent gone for Sky Q, we just move the +HD box to the van and reset it to single LNB mode. No probs watching recorded programs with or without a Sat signal.

Erm a Sky+HD box need a signal from the satellite before it even starts to work...otherwise, it will not load up the EPG, will not check your card entitlements (which it does every 6.5 seconds via the satellite signal), and will not allow you access to the planner...
I have yet to see any Sky box that works without any satellite signal.

Unless you mean a Freesat+HD, which does allow you to watch recordings without a signal...

Sep 10, 2019
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware s
Exp
Since 2015
Best way to check if it will all works disconect the q box from internet either wifi or lan connection or just turn router off, from what I can remember you have to use the correct lnb for q box for the 4K signals if it still works then u can use the box anywhere like any other mobile satellite dish

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
We have customers that use Sky Q at home and then use the automated paring service when they want to go away and use the subscription card in their Sky HD box in the vehicle. I was skeptical about whether this was possible but I now know of 4 different people who do the same thing and state that it works.

Hi Anthony, here we are another year on. Have you heard of any other cases that can help to confirm this. The trouble being that Sky have offered to switch me over for the same price. If I jump, then I might have burnt my bridges without confirmed info. :gum:

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Erm a Sky+HD box need a signal from the satellite before it even starts to work...otherwise, it will not load up the EPG, will not check your card entitlements (which it does every 6.5 seconds via the satellite signal), and will not allow you access to the planner...
I have yet to see any Sky box that works without any satellite signal.

Unless you mean a Freesat+HD, which does allow you to watch recordings without a signal...
No I don't mean a freesat signal, and I'm sorry but it works just fine for us without a satellite signal, we've been using ours off and on like that for last three years. Simply unplug it from our home antenna, connect it up to our Oyster V in the van, if there is no Sky signal or antenna is down due to wind the box comes out of standby fine, a window opens saying there is no satellite signal but can access recorded programs or words to that effect. Only other thing I have done is switch it to single LNB mode. We did that for quite a while when we had a problem with the V not locking on properly which that nice guy Anthony OysterTech fixed for us a couple of months back.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
No I don't mean a freesat signal, and I'm sorry but it works just fine for us without a satellite signal, we've been using ours off and on like that for last three years. Simply unplug it from our home antenna, connect it up to our Oyster V in the van, if there is no Sky signal or antenna is down due to wind the box comes out of standby fine, a window opens saying there is no satellite signal but can access recorded programs or words to that effect. Only other thing I have done is switch it to single LNB mode. We did that for quite a while when we had a problem with the V not locking on properly which that nice guy Anthony OysterTech fixed for us a couple of months back.

Very interesting.
You seem to have the only Sky box in the world that will boot up and load planner details and allow you to watch recorded material without accessing a satellite signal.
All Sky boxes I know of and have ever used will not allow you access to the planner without first loading up the EPG, for which it needs a satellite signal to do this. (have just tried this on three Sky+HD boxes that I have here and not will work without a satellite signal)
And the card entitlements, checked every 6.5 seconds via a satellite signal, are needed to make sure that a) you have recording recording activated, b) you can playback recorded pay tv channel content.
Single feed mode only makes the sky box use input 1 and only input 1 on a sky box. It does not stop you from using a polarisation...and if you did have issues with the V polarisation group, then you would not receive half the channels on the satellites, and your box would not boot up using the sky default transponder frequency if 11778 V! And a Sky box by default uses input 1, no matter if in single feed more or not, during boot up.
So if you can use your Sky box without a satellite signals, and your single feed mode allow you to not use the V polarisation, then you have a very unique box...

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Only difference in single feed mode we see is the (obvious) inability to watch one channel while recording another.

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Satandpcguy personally I have heard of Sky boxes that allow you to watch recordings when you remove the card/have no sat signal. I believe they're earlier models of the HD box though and the orignal Sky + boxes allowed it too.
I don't see why you shouldn't be able to access and watch recordings anyway though. If there's a storm and your household signal is knocked out you should at LEAST be able to watch recordings.
Sky changing it is just another measure of control they've tried to implement to restrict their customers.

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Anthony, here we are another year on. Have you heard of any other cases that can help to confirm this. The trouble being that Sky have offered to switch me over for the same price. If I jump, then I might have burnt my bridges without confirmed info. :gum:

Morning Mike,

No change as far as I'm aware.
I know quite a few customers moving the card to a HD box and getting on fine however this will all come to an abrupt end once Sky stop supporting the old HD boxes. Once that happens you won't be able to pair the card up with the old box or at least, that's what I believe will happen.

In the case this does happen we do have a solution for Oyster 65cm/85cm systems throughout the Vision range and the Oyster V.
If you or anyone else would like further information then please PM me with your current model and I can give you an idea on price to upgrade the unit.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Anthony OysterTech , That's really useful to know there is a route once the old boxes aren't supported. I too much dislike Sky's ethos on this and frankly once fast enough 5G or the promised fibre reaches us next year etc we will probably ditch them. Out here in the wilds though we have no 2G never mind 5G and our landline runs at an awesome 2.5Mb (no that isn't a misprint..:D) so Sky is at present the only way to go. I suspect we may have one of the earlier Sky + boxes as you mention as we were early adopters due to the above. Didn't realise how lucky we were considering what Satandpcguy has found with all the boxes he has tested. I'll do some testing next time we are away and update this thread on the results.. (FYI those who don't know me, I have some considerable Sat experience with military and high end commercial Sat communication systems and worldwide SatTV rather than the specifics of Sky's operations in Europe)

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Anthony OysterTech , That's really useful to know there is a route once the old boxes aren't supported. I too much dislike Sky's ethos on this and frankly once fast enough 5G or the promised fibre reaches us next year etc we will probably ditch them. Out here in the wilds though we have no 2G never mind 5G and our landline runs at an awesome 2.5Mb (no that isn't a misprint..:D) so Sky is at present the only way to go. I suspect we may have one of the earlier Sky + boxes as you mention as we were early adopters due to the above. Didn't realise how lucky we were considering what Satandpcguy has found with all the boxes he has tested. I'll do some testing next time we are away and update this thread on the results.. (FYI those who don't know me, I have some considerable Sat experience with military and high end commercial Sat communication systems and worldwide SatTV rather than the specifics of Sky's operations in Europe)

Wow, that internet speed is ridiculous!
I'd be surprised if you manage 5g or Fibre within the next year to be honest. They always set targets that they're never gonna hit and it's so annoying. Might be wrong but have you considered Internet via Sat for home???
There are a couple of companies that offer pretty decent speeds on the KA bandwidth now through a dish (not I'm not on commission lol).
If you're interested take a look at www.bigblu.co.uk or www.broadbandwherever.net
We used to used the former on our internet system before everything moved to KA band.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Anthony OysterTech, we did look at Sat but decided it wasn't worth it though my daughter uses it up in the Highlands, but she needs a good connection for her work. To be honest only thing the speed prevents is streaming, pretty much anything else works fine. We have FTC but the cabinet is 3 miles away so it's a much more reliable 2.5 than it usd to be The FTP should be going in soon under the Scottish Governments rural plan with minimum 30Mbps next year. On my DSV we had a 10Mbps downlink and 5Mbps uplink and with some very fancy compression stuff at either end I managed a 100 user network plus commercial data and occasional live video streaming from certain dives. Divers were biggest problem they always forget to turn off the auto updates when they go into saturation and a bit difficult to slap them round the head when they are in a high pressure chamber for the next month..??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back