Free Member
Jan 10, 2014
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8years
We currently have a Sky box in moho which works perfectly well threw the on roof Sat Dish ( This is a smaller multi room box with the Sky supplied viewing card).
We are thinking of changing to the SKY Q boxes in the house which are Wi Fi based ,although the aerial fitted to the outside of the house is still required for the Mothership Box
hard wired in Front room.
My understanding is that additional boxes as in a multi room set up can be added as they are Wi Fi controlled and are supplied with there own small Wi Fi unit which is plugged into the box this then allows one to move it from room to room.
Have any other Funsters done as i have with the older style box and then swopped to Sky Q and found the system will not work.
Have a Huawei 4g Wi Fi mobile box which works great ,all over Europe.
But am worried that i could end up paying a stupid amount of money to keep it topped up as i am now downloading hours of data.(Ok can maybe get around that with unlimited data package,at moment data package is adequate for are needs).
We currently have the Sky Sports package for the footie etc which works all around europe todate.
Hope this all makes sense as not clued up on tinternet type stuff now the offside rule and im your man.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Sadly Sky Q uses a different LNB & WI-FI together, so for now its a non starter.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
No you can’t and there's more to it than just internet connections.

Sky Q uses a different type of LNB - a wide band one. Your dish on the motorhome will have a standard LNB.

If it’s an auto dish and you change the LNB the controller probably won't work.

If it's a manual dish you could potentially change the LNB if you can find a wide band one that will fit.

If you can get past the LNB issue you need proper broadband internet to get anything more than basic functionality. A Mifi is simply not going to cope - 4G isn't fast enough and you won't have the bandwidth anyway.

If you change to Sky Q and put your old HD box in the van you then have viewing card issues - The Sky Q viewing card is different and won't work in an HD box. There's supposed to be a way of making it work involving pairing it via a website but it's a royal faff and I've never managed it.

I went through all this in some depth a couple of years ago when we got Sky Q at home. Eddie Vanbitz even contacted the manufacturers of my satellite kit to get their opinion.

The general consensus is that there's no practical way to do it.

If you really can't do without Sky in the van then the best way to get it is by using the SkyGo app. If you use it on a proper laptop you can connect to your TV, if you use a tablet or phone you can't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Jackson Leisure in Wakefield says he can make Sky Q work for approx £600 you can always ask anyway.
Bill

You will definitely get a signal to the Sky Q box with a £30 replacement LNB. That’s never been in doubt.

The first problem is the chance that using the new LNB will damage the controller on an auto system. None of the manufacturers have tested it yet, I assume due to lack of demand, so they can’t and won’t say whether it will work or not. Trying it anyway would invalidate any warranty and most controllers are around £500 to replace so understandably nobody wants to risk it.

Secondly you only get the most basic of limited functionality without an internet connection. That’s a proper broadband connection, not a 4G one from a MiFi.

What’s he doing for £600 given that he isn’t going to be solving the second issue? Has he come up with a solution for the first issue that works on all systems and that the manufacturers have accepted for warranty purposes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
No idea how or what he does he fitted a new osyter 85 sat system and text me 12 months after asking if i wanted to update to Sky Q, i thought £600 was dear so i stuck with what i have.
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I’m going to stick with my multiroom Skyboxinthe Moho as long as I can. I have not seen any date when the old Sky system will be redundant. When it is I’ll dump Sky and go FreeSat with a decent sized hard disc recorder

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
No you can’t and there's more to it than just internet connections.

Sky Q uses a different type of LNB - a wide band one. Your dish on the motorhome will have a standard LNB.

If it’s an auto dish and you change the LNB the controller probably won't work.

If it's a manual dish you could potentially change the LNB if you can find a wide band one that will fit.

If you can get past the LNB issue you need proper broadband internet to get anything more than basic functionality. A Mifi is simply not going to cope - 4G isn't fast enough and you won't have the bandwidth anyway.

If you change to Sky Q and put your old HD box in the van you then have viewing card issues - The Sky Q viewing card is different and won't work in an HD box. There's supposed to be a way of making it work involving pairing it via a website but it's a royal faff and I've never managed it.

I went through all this in some depth a couple of years ago when we got Sky Q at home. Eddie Vanbitz even contacted the manufacturers of my satellite kit to get their opinion.

The general consensus is that there's no practical way to do it.

If you really can't do without Sky in the van then the best way to get it is by using the SkyGo app. If you use it on a proper laptop you can connect to your TV, if you use a tablet or phone you can't.
We have been able to convert an Oyster Vision III

You need to buy the Sky Q LNB from Sky and the older Vision III (Latest variant on offer is the Oyster Vision V)

It does work is a bit clunky and isn't worth the effort to be honest, and of course Sod's Law the very first one we did developed a gear box fault so all had to be returned to original to be able to return it under warranty to Oyster!

We decided then that we wouldn't bother doing any more lol

It was pretty disappointing without the broadband interaction anyway

OP
OP
Saint76

Saint76

Free Member
Jan 10, 2014
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8years
Thank you every one for your advice will stick with my multi-room box in the van and carry on living the dream.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back