Sky let down (1 Viewer)

Sep 18, 2011
Coventry. England
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
Since 2009
For a few years have taken my spare Sky+HD box away with us in our Motorhome. When we decided to change to the Sky Q boxes at home, I fully understood that I would not get that service (SkyQ) through the old box,but was told by the Sky team and the installation Engineer, that I would still get Sky TV services through my Old box using the card paired with it. In my Sky account I have under equipment details are the Sky Q main box and mini box plus my Sky+ HD box. So on our first trip away since the start of Pandemic, we set off taking the old box with,us. Set up the TV and box only to get Freesat channels and no Sky programs. Contacted the Sky team ( didn’t tell them had it in the Motorhome) and was told no my card had been cancelled for Sky+ HD, as the Sky Q card is the only active card you can have. I explained what I had been told by the team and the engineer, but was told that information was incorrect. I pointed out that in my account it showed that my Sky+HD box was active, so why can’t I use it. Response was yes I could use it but only for Freesat. Does anyone know if it’s possible to get around that?

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
You can pair the Q card to the HD box while you're away however that will mean that the Q box and multiroom box will be unusable until the main card is repaired with the Q box. It's also a mighty great faff if you plan on going away often as the app will only let you pair twice a month. Any more and you have to talk to one of the lovely Sky team.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
You can’t have two different systems active on one account (SkyHD and SkyQ). Unless as above you pair the card or if your using a standard sky dish change the LNB to a wide band and take the Q box with you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Thought this thread was going to tell me it’s raining and I cannot see more than 1/2 mile near Dalbeattie 😩

OP
OP
BASA47
Sep 18, 2011
Coventry. England
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Anthony I didn’t know you could use the Q box card with the Sky+HD box. It wouldn’t be problem about the Q boxes at home, so will try that on our next trip. That’s really helpful advice
Thanks Realist, I have a Snipe 2 Sat. so can’t change the LNB but thank you for your contribution.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Why can’t these new sky q boxes be taken away in the motorhome ? Is it something to do with needing to be connected to the sky internet broadband in the house ? Just wondering how the these new sky q boxes work as the box can’t actually “ know where it is “ , or can it ?

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
Sky Q don’t need broadband to work only needed for interactive services and multi room.

Therefore yes you can take the Q box away providing your dish has a wideband or hybrid LNB.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Sky Q don’t need broadband to work only needed for interactive services and multi room.

Therefore yes you can take the Q box away providing your dish has a wideband or hybrid LNB.
thank you . I was quite up to speed on sky boxes , up until a few years ago . So it’s the dish that would need to be upgraded in most cases for it to work ?

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
Yes just the LNB with twin feed of course not single.

roger7

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
pvc
Exp
I frequently pair my sky q card with the hd box in the motor home. No problems so far and I think sky are only interested in taking your subsciption.

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Anthony I didn’t know you could use the Q box card with the Sky+HD box. It wouldn’t be problem about the Q boxes at home, so will try that on our next trip. That’s really helpful advice
Thanks Realist, I have a Snipe 2 Sat. so can’t change the LNB but thank you for your contribution.

No problem. It will work as long as Sky HD carry's on running but will probably be stopped when HD is wound up.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
No problem. It will work as long as Sky HD carry's on running but will probably be stopped when HD is wound up.
Which will be quite some time yet, as they still have not wound up SD, and they stopped making those SD boxes about 15 years ago! Only now a few Sky pay channels are HD only...so will be many years yet before Sky HD is wound up...

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
No plans now or in the future to remove HD content, may be more UHD on its way.

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Which will be quite some time yet, as they still have not wound up SD, and they stopped making those SD boxes about 15 years ago! Only now a few Sky pay channels are HD only...so will be many years yet before Sky HD is wound up...

Get what you're saying Satandpcguy but I assumed that Sky SD subscriptions were no longer active which, as I understand it, means that you can no longer pair a Sky card to an SD box. Is that not right??
My thinking was that when Sky get rid of the HD subscriptions and just have Q then they would stop customers being able to pair a Q card with a HD box. Nothing to do with the actual satellite transmissions.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
Not true, a call to Sky with the STBs NDS number and they can pair the card, no subscription needed.

Same situation as if you purchased a free view card from Sky the box your putting it in Sky have no clue what the NDS number is so a simple call is needed and job done.

But.......... it’s a pain in the ass moving cards around like this and I would just get a basic none Q subscription and leave the card in the MoHo.

Get what you're saying Satandpcguy but I assumed that Sky SD subscriptions were no longer active which, as I understand it, means that you can no longer pair a Sky card to an SD box. Is that not right??
[/QUOTE]

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Not true, a call to Sky with the STBs NDS number and they can pair the card, no subscription needed.

Same situation as if you purchased a free view card from Sky the box your putting it in Sky have no clue what the NDS number is so a simple call is needed and job done.

But.......... it’s a pain in the ass moving cards around like this and I would just get a basic none Q subscription and leave the card in the MoHo.
Pairing a "Freesat from Sky" free to view card is only needed for one channel... Local TV,
The other two channels the card gives access to (Yesterday+1 and 4Music), do not need pairing.
Which I gather Sky have stopped supplying now anyway.

My thinking was that when Sky get rid of the HD subscriptions and just have Q then they would stop customers being able to pair a Q card with a HD box. Nothing to do with the actual satellite transmissions.
Sky no longer activate cards for SD boxes.
Dont think they will pair them to SD boxes either these days..
But will happily pair cards to Sky HD, Sky+HD and SkYQ boxes - just do it via your box connected to internet, or via your MySky account.
And they have quite a few people still on SD boxes only...they have not managed to push them off yet, but with a few Sky channels now going HD only, perhaps it will be sooner rather than later.
Sky Germany and Italy have already dropped the "HD" charge from their subs, if i remember correctly, again my moving a lot of their channels HD only.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back