Sky Box in Spain (1 Viewer)

Sep 18, 2011
Coventry. England
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Currently in Spain near Benicàssim, I have enjoyed watching TV (Pay to View channels) via my Sky Box and Snipe satellite system prior to arriving here. I am well aware that as I travel further down the coast to Southern Spain I will lose the signal due to the Snipe Dish size. I have read that some users tune into other satellites i.e Astra 1 and view Hotbird and other channels, is it possible to do this using my Sky Box as the receiver and if so what do I need to do

Thanks Basa

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think you need an Icecrypt reciever and tune to Intelsat 907

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Think your Sky box is only set for Astra 2. I may be wrong. We use a cheap Sat box from Maplin called a Fortic Star. These boxes have all the world sats built into there system. Our system looses signal at Vila Nova Spain

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
A Sky UK digibox will work only with the Astra 2 satellites. That is the only satellite group thatcarries the requires Sky UK channels and the Sky UK data streams. And A SKy UK box MUST get a signal from these satellites before it even starts to think to work.

But the signal for most of the Sky pay channels (assume that is what you mean by "Pay to View channels") should not really differ that much as you travel further down south, as the European beam that they are on is nice and easy to catch in most of mainland spain.

It is the non sky, non pay channels from BBC ITV C4 and Five (and a handful oif Sky pay channels) that are on the UK beam that will differ as you travel south. They will actually get better the further south you move, until about Benidorm area, then it starts to get worse the further south of there you go....

OP
OP
BASA47
Sep 18, 2011
Coventry. England
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks to everyone who responded especially to Satandpcguy who knowledge is always a useful source on these matters. Just to clarify with Satandpcguy I should continue to get most of my pay to view channels with my Snipe system then, at the moment I can't because of trees blocking a clear sky view. Only one bar is showing on the signal strength but none on the 2nd Bar
Thanks Basa

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
If you look at the European beam map ( http://www.satandpcguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/ASTRA_2E_europe_ku_band_beam1.jpg ) it is quite constant over most of mainland Spain (with an 80cm ish dish), until the very southern most parts of Spain, when a slightly larger dish may be required. Note these are theoretical maps, and actual reception can (and does) vary, with hotsports and coldspots.

But most of the Sky pay package channels should still be available to you with a well aligned dish, good LNB, and clear line of sight.

For example : http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/astra-3.126467/#post-1777470 from another funster...but don't know the size of his dish

Suppose it all depends on the size of dish on your system.... a 65cm dish will be too small in the far south of Spain... (note that I am not "up to date" on all the dish systems and dish sizes being used on here - so I am simply using "normal" dish sizes)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back