LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
This I promis is my last post on the subject of saterlitte in a motorhome.

I have a camos dome and an old sky box. Although the old sky box will allow me to watch freeview it will not accept my sky card, telling me there not paried. Therefore I plan to take my SKY+ box along for the ride instead. It will come complete with card and many films from Sky.

My question is, does it have to be twin LMBd to work? will it work with a single LMB in order for me to watch sky and my recordings?

thanks in anticipation.:thumb:

S

stagman

Deleted User
My question is, does it have to be twin LMBd to work? will it work with a single LMB in order for me to watch sky and my recordings?

thanks in anticipation.:thumb:[/QUOTE]

As far as I know you need a twin LNB . One LNB is for watching whilst the other is for recording:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
in opposition to stagman, i dont think it makes any difference.
the twin lnb, as stagman says, is to record AND watch at the same time.
it can even be used to run two seperate boxes....one lnb to each box.
which is all the sky recorder is...two receivers in one case.

assuming you will only be watching then yes...go for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Thats Interesting John,
Are you therefore saying that if I have a sky box upstairs and a cable to LMB (2) I could watch Sky upstairs? Of course I accept it would be the same channel.. can you get a doubler of some sort?

S

stagman

Deleted User
Thats Interesting John,
Are you therefore saying that if I have a sky box upstairs and a cable to LMB (2) I could watch Sky upstairs? Of course I accept it would be the same channel.. can you get a doubler of some sort?

Yes you can use your Sky plus ,but you won't be able to record any further programs unless you have a twin LNB . Never tried it but perhaps you could swap inputs to record when you are out .

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Thats Interesting John,

You can watch sky on every TV connected to the box or to a distribution amplifier, but all the same channel! and you have to run downstairs to change channels!

Unless you have one of my remote control extenders which work anywhere in the house.::bigsmile:

Peter

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hiya Haganap.

If you are NOT using the same sky box that you use at home, and ARE using the sky viewing card that you plug in to the box at home

YOU WONT GET IT.

We have recently had a big argument with SKY over this. With our old viewing cards we could take the sky card we use at home and put it in a different box in the camper.

One viewing card, one contract, watch sky all year round - NO WAY

THIS CANT BE DONE ANYMORE

The sky viewing card is now linked with the exact SKY BOX. So unless you unplug your home sky box and reconnect it in the motorhome, you are pretty stuffed unless you take out a 2nd sky contract.

The sky card that they charge motorhomers about £30 for is effectively a freeview card, it does not give access to any subscriber channels.

The ONLY alternative is every time you go away in the motorhome you phone up sky and get them to deactivate your card on your home box and then phone them again and reactivate it on your motorhome - they dont like doing this and have refused to do it for me - you however may be luckier.

Hope this helps and that my explanation is easy to follow

G

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thats Interesting John,

almost right Paul.....

no it wont be the same channel as you have a seperate box upstairs connected to the second LNB.

all the twin LNB is is two seperate LNB's circuits, using a shared dish, in one case.

use the upstairs and downstairs boxs and remotes as if they were connected to their own seperate dish's.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Thats Interesting John,

Paul if you run a cable to the second LNB and use a separate Sky box you can watch whatever your Skybox will allow you to watch.

At home I ran a coaxial cable from the back of our Sky+ box (RF2) in the lounge up to our bed room and with the aid of a 'magic eye' can watch and change all the channels(we have a second remote)!

Link Removed

Its the bottom (of three) coax socket here about a third of the way from the left.

2zpsf2s.jpg

I have done this in the RV as well using an existing coaxial from the front to the second tv in the bedroom.

Regards Pat

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Hiya Haganap.

If you are NOT using the same sky box that you use at home, and ARE using the sky viewing card that you plug in to the box at home

YOU WONT GET IT.

We have recently had a big argument with SKY over this. With our old viewing cards we could take the sky card we use at home and put it in a different box in the camper.

One viewing card, one contract, watch sky all year round - NO WAY

THIS CANT BE DONE ANYMORE

The sky viewing card is now linked with the exact SKY BOX. So unless you unplug your home sky box and reconnect it in the motorhome, you are pretty stuffed unless you take out a 2nd sky contract.

The sky card that they charge motorhomers about £30 for is effectively a freeview card, it does not give access to any subscriber channels.

The ONLY alternative is every time you go away in the motorhome you phone up sky and get them to deactivate your card on your home box and then phone them again and reactivate it on your motorhome - they dont like doing this and have refused to do it for me - you however may be luckier.

Hope this helps and that my explanation is easy to follow

G

Hi there,

I would disagree with you there actualy, I recently had one of the new sky cards and I have 3 of the early style Pace boxes, 2 indoors and one in the camper. It works in all 3 boxes. It did initialy come up with the message that it wasn't paired to that particular box, but removing and reinserting the card after approx 5 seconds and they all work fine.

This last weekend I actualy forgot to take the card with me and it reverted to FREEVIEW channels which it didn't use to do when I forgot the old card, so I am delighted but confused.

Brian

S

stagman

Deleted User
[, so I am delighted but confused.

Brian[/QUOTE]

At the moment I am Dazed and confused:Smile:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Sky told me they have changed the system and with they new cards that are being issued they are now registered only to one box.

But I will double check and try what worked for you xxxx

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Thats Interesting John,

yes and no ...yes you can watch sky from upstairs connecting to LNB2 but no it would be a different channel as you are running two/another receiver

........if you have a twin LNB....on two receivers and two televisions you can watch two different channels, a different channel on each receiver and television...if you had a quad LNB...with four receivers with four Televisions you can watch four different channels......and if you have the octo LNB with eight receivers and eight Televisions you can watch eight different channels at the same time one channel on each Television......that means the wife can move from room to room without missing any Come Dancing....but when the wife passes that room into another room you can switch to boxing/football and what ever program you want to watch.............................. all this running off one Satellite dish

I have a octo running eight receivers/televisions
just to keep the wife happy!!

Mel

Last edited:

M&L

Free Member
Jan 26, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
You can have a LNB which will take 4 cables so providing you have a Sky box to each TV you can watch different programmes on each one. You can pick up a box for £10-15, sometimes with a card. Or you can buy a Freesat box ( I wish people would not keep saying Freeview ) for £20 from such as Maplins.
I have 3 cables connected at the moment onto a fairly old small dish.

Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You can have a LNB which will take 4 cables so providing you have a Sky box to each TV you can watch different programmes on each one. You can pick up a box for £10-15, sometimes with a card. Or you can buy a Freesat box ( I wish people would not keep saying Freeview ) for £20 from such as Maplins.

Mike

i dont have a sky box or a freesat (satellite) box.....i have a free to air (FTA satellite) box running into a freeview (terrestrial) tv

at home we have freeview (terrestrial) tv's and freeview boxs (terrestrial) on the tv's without inbuilt freeview.

See.....some of us know the difference. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
You can use ANY sky card in ANY Sky box.
This applies for the "6 mix" channels.
Not the Sky Sports and Movie channels which are only able to be watched on the cards "paired" sky box.

A Sky card activated for Sky+ receording will also work in ANY sky box, but will only allow oyu to watch and record the free to air cannels - not any encypted channels.

If you want ot use a Sky+ box to its full potential (ie watch one channel and record another at the same time, or record two channels at the same time) you will require two cables from the LNB to the receiver.

It will still work (to some extent) with just one cable. It will allow you to wtch a chnnels, and watch prerecorded programmes, as long as at least one cable is attached.

You will struggle if you have recordings in your planner that are due to be recorded. Generally a Sky+ box uses input 2 (if it is not aleady in use) for recording of any future recordings. So if you have only one cable and want to record something in the future you will have to set up a dummy recording of any cannels for 5 minutes to block input 2 (that has no cable attached) , so your actual planned recording uses input 1, which does have the cable.

ie if you want to record bbc1 1700 - 1730, manualy set up another recording for sky news from 1657 to 1702!

If you do not use a skyt card you wil not get the Freeview channels, you will receive the free to air channels. there are a few channels on Freeview that are not available for free on satellit (Dave Virgin Sky3)

gunerdoo

Free Member
Oct 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
ROMAHOME
As for me I would have a HUMAX Freesat HD box for the Motorhome ALL free Channels and BBC iplayer included ::bigsmile:
At the Moment BBC iplayer only works on the Humax hd box ?
Sometime in the New Year ITV will also be available !

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
As for me I would have a HUMAX Freesat HD box for the Motorhome ALL free Channels and BBC iplayer included ::bigsmile:
At the Moment BBC iplayer only works on the Humax hd box ?
Sometime in the New Year ITV will also be available !

Another choice of non SKY use is the ZEHNDER DX64 satellite receiver ( 12volt & 230volt ) bought at Road Pro.
I bought this when I first fitted the Camos in the van 3 years ago. Linked with the Camos it allows searching of Astra 19;Hotbird;Turk 1C;Eutel 7;Eutel 10;Arab 2A/3A;Nile;Astra 28;Hispasat;--Satellites. However I still used Astra 28 for the greater amount of English speaking channels. It had all the normal channels plus lots Sky hasn't,the downside was there was no Channel 5 or Sky access, which tother half decided wasn't on as she had Sky indoors and wanted outside as well. So to keep the peace, I swapped over.

Brian

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp

Mike

Thanks for all the answers guys, especially the Picture PAT.

do you know where I can purchase this LMB connector from.? the 4 way one?

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Well thanks everyone I finally got it sussed. I think I misunderstood a few posters but the way I done it was to use the rf2 to the back of the second telly. I thought it went in to the second sky box. So basically I do not need a second sky box.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back