Free Member
Sep 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Leyland Daf 400
Exp
C class
Hi everyone,
New to this sky stuff and I'm confused. I do a lot of wild camping in Europe and need a sky box that works on 12v. Many boxes now come with a mains transformer with 12v output so that's not a problem. I'll just cut the transformer off and solder a cigarette lighter adapter on like I do with my icecrypt box which I use for BBC, ITV, etc.

So, back to the sky box. I don't want the premium channels, just the free channels. If the box I buy has an expired card, will I be able to get the free channels or do I need to buy extra gear? If so, what? I want to keep the cost to an absolute minimum. Obviously I don't have broadband, internet access is on my smartphone only.

Thank you all in advance for your advice. šŸ˜€šŸ˜€šŸ˜€

Reactions: Les
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi and welcome

you can use most sky boxes without a card, but if you want to regionalise it i.e. news / programmes to a specific part of uk you do need a card. however, you should be able to get hold of a none subscription sky card. lasy one i had cost me Ā£20 and was forever.
i dont use a sky box any longer so not upto date on this stuff.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
The only way your going to run a Sky box on 12v is via an inverter. Plus the further you travel east the weaker the signal gets from 28Deg as the foot print only covers the U.K.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
you can get UK sat tv on the med but you will need an 85cm dish with a good lnb.

Pace did a 12v sky box i had one but they are now like rocking horse poo!! and well over Ā£100 for a well used one if you can find one.
some sky boxes are fed through a transformer to reduce the voltage and you May be able to cobble something together with that.

OP
OP
J

John Spain

Free Member
Sep 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Leyland Daf 400
Exp
C class
No inverter needed. There are still some old skyboxes around which were designed to run from 12v such as the pace 1000 box. Many, such as the Humax pr-hd3000 have a 12v power socket.

OP
OP
J

John Spain

Free Member
Sep 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Leyland Daf 400
Exp
C class
I should add, a12v system is not a problem there are loads around! See above.

My issue is this....

I have a 12v power supply and use a lenco 12 v television with inbuilt satellite receiver but it doesn't have a decoder built in. I can receive a lot of scrambled SKY channels. I want to unscramble the free ones. So, if I buy a receiver and stick it's card in, will I get those free channels unscrambled?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
No inverter needed. There are still some old skyboxes around which were designed to run from 12v such as the pace 1000 box. Many, such as the Humax pr-hd3000 have a 12v power socket.

is the Humax box a freesat box ? which is probably a better option than an actual sky box.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

My issue is this....

I have a 12v power supply and use a lenco 12 v television with inbuilt satellite receiver but it doesn't have a decoder built in. I can receive a lot of scrambled SKY channels. I want to unscramble the free ones. So, if I buy a receiver and stick it's card in, will I get those free channels unscrambled?

short answer is yes, but i only used a sky box as i had a card. better option is probably to get a freesat box then you can set your preferences without the issues of a sky card.
all the free channels on sky are available on Freesat.

OP
OP
J

John Spain

Free Member
Sep 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Leyland Daf 400
Exp
C class
I don't know but I can't get the Freeview channels where I am but can get the scrambled sky channels which is specifically what I want.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks

My issue is this....

The free channels shouldn't be scrambled. You should be able to pick them up through any TV with a built in satellite tuner.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
when you say scrambled do you mean they are not being received properly i.e. lots of interference or just they are mixed in with all the other channels and hard to find?

if its the former then are you in a location ( your avatar says Spain ) that you are able to get UK channels on the dish size you have

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
12 v television with inbuilt satellite receiver but it doesn't have a decoder built in.
Inbuilt satellite receiver is the decoder, isnā€™t it, should get free to air channel.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
All you need is a 12v free-to-air satellite receiver, you will get all your channels if your dish is big enough, if not astray 1 and learn German. šŸ˜ Bob

OP
OP
J

John Spain

Free Member
Sep 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Leyland Daf 400
Exp
C class
No, the sky channels are encrypted. A TV with satellite receiver doesn't unscramble them. It's not the Freeview channels I want. I can't get them anyway because of the UK spotbeam being aimed at the UK not Europe. It's the free (but encrypted) pan Europe channels that I want to get.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
sorry cant help with that!
I did not know that there were any free channels that are encrypted. i was under the impression that all free channels were non encrypted and available Freesat.

i guess you can learn every day...

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Have a look on line at a Manhattan box. It's Freesat and probably will fit the bill. About Ā£40 and 12v.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Have a look on line at a Manhattan box. It's Freesat and probably will fit the bill. About Ā£40 and 12v.
Thats what we use only down side is we have over 400 channels to go at, seem to get every regional TV broadcast, but great for checking up what is going in the next area or back home, worked well with an 85cm dish down as far as Denia bit patchy in Marbella but Gibraltar TV is like being back in the 60's but for sheer crass, try Swiss TV! Loads of Leather trousers and Drindrills and Alpine horns with a cow bell attachment!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We go to Spain every winter with a sky+ box and 85cm Oyster sat dish with Autoskew and can pick up most Sky programmes which are on the sky menu there are some that are unavailable.
There are very few channels available when using the built in sat receiver in the TV.šŸ˜Š

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
There is nothing on the free Sky that you wouldn't be able to get Free To Air (FTA) on your Icecrypt box.

Sky use 2E to show BBC1 for example and their own programs are on Astra2G

Pointing the dish 28.2 degrees East of South will collect all of the satellites there. When you go further South you will move out of the Astra2E footprint for the dish irrespective of whether you are using a FTA reciever such as Humax or Icecrypt or a genuine Sky box

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
No, the sky channels are encrypted. A TV with satellite receiver doesn't unscramble them. It's not the Freeview channels I want. I can't get them anyway because of the UK spotbeam being aimed at the UK not Europe. It's the free (but encrypted) pan Europe channels that I want to get.

The sky encrypted channels are available on the pan European beam if you are a sky subscriber AFAIK. Don't know of any FREE encrypted channels.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I can receive a lot of scrambled SKY channels. I want to unscramble the free ones. So, if I buy a receiver and stick it's card in, will I get those free channels unscrambled?

There are only THREE free scambled channels.
Yesterday+1, 4 Music, Local TV.
which a "freesatfrom sky " / FTV (free to view) card will unlock...

All other free channels are, well, free and "unscrambled"
All other scrambled channels are pay channels and will require a sky card, monthly subscription, and a sky box.

Again, there are only three free encrypted channels on UK satellite TV - Yesterday+1, 4music, and Local TV.
These are called Free To View channels, ie channels that are subscription free but encrypted.
For these channels you need a Sky box and a "freesat from sky" card - dont think Sky offer these any more these days.

All other channels on the European beam are either free (and unencrpryted), or pay (encrypted)

can you give an example of a channel that is free but encrypted that you want, as there are only the three that I have mentioned on the UK TV satellites that I know of. This will help us to help you

Last edited:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
all the free channels on sky are available on Freesat.

Freesat only has a selection (approx 145 from a scan yesterday) of free channels, not all (over 200)
To get all free channels on a Freesat box, you need to put your Freesat box into "non Freesat mode"

eg C4HD is not on Freesat, but has to be added to your Freesat box in Non Freesat mode

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
There is nothing on the free Sky that you wouldn't be able to get Free To Air (FTA) on your Icecrypt box.

Sky use 2E to show BBC1 for example and their own programs are on Astra2G

Pointing the dish 28.2 degrees East of South will collect all of the satellites there. When you go further South you will move out of the Astra2E footprint for the dish irrespective of whether you are using a FTA reciever such as Humax or Icecrypt or a genuine Sky box

BBC (and ITV) channels are on 2e and 2G
Sky pay channels are on 2e, 2f and 2g

The only free Sky channels are Sky News, Pick, and Challenge. All three are subscription and encryption free.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Getting ALL sky channels on the "Costa`s" in Spain requires a much larger dish, than current on most `vans. At La-Manga for example. 3 of us clubbed together and had a 60" dish on the back of the site, with a 4port LNB. The ladies wanted the likes of the Glums and Corrie etc;. We just wanted Rugby, Footie and the F1. Not a bad way to "winter" though!. BBQ, Loads of Red Wine, (crap beer!) Sit in the Sun. Or wind surf and Sail, on the Mar Menor. (y) (y)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thats what we use only down side is we have over 400 channels to go at, seem to get every regional TV broadcast, but great for checking up what is going in the next area or back home, worked well with an 85cm dish down as far as Denia bit patchy in Marbella but Gibraltar TV is like being back in the 60's but for sheer crass, try Swiss TV! Loads of Leather trousers and Drindrills and Alpine horns with a cow bell attachment!
From memory if you put in a UK postcode it restricts the regional channel selection to that UK region.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back