Sky / Apple TV / WIFI / iPad / Anyone done this? (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
So I looked at a self seeking all singing satellite dish for the Motorhome and it was circa £5k for the dogs...... holy smoke!

So I got thinking about airplay from an iPad and sky go etc but I seem to remember sky like to lock down the airplay function I guess to prevent people using a personal iPad to show a movie or boxing match on a big screen in a pub or something.

Also is the issue of it knows when your in France or anywhere else and says nope your not allowed to view here.

So here is my question. Using these paid i.p addresses that masks where you are in the world has anyone had any luck doing airplay with skygo to there TV in the Motorhome? I want it mainly for the F1 this summer while away in France.

I do have an unlimited 4G iPad with global coverage (including maritime) provided to me by work for free that gets the fantastic speed as demonstrated below so it would be a shame not to be able to use this tool to save £5k on a fancy dish.

And discuss :D

BFB97888-E1E3-4919-B5A6-B3C27E50EE12.png

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Unfortunately Sky Go on iPad won’t work with Airplay or any other output method. It’s annoying because Sky Go on a PC or Mac will output to a TV by both Airplay and direct HDMI connection.

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016

Unfortunately Sky Go on iPad won’t work with Airplay or any other output method. It’s annoying because Sky Go on a PC or Mac will output to a TV by both Airplay and direct HDMI connection.

That could well be the answer then. Use my iPad as a WiFi teather and watch on the MacBook with HDMI out to the TV.
It’s a bit long winded using 3 devices but if the end result is there then happy days

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I like the Google chromecast myself. A little device that plugs in to one of your HDMI inputs on your tv. I use Google chrome browser on my laptop and once I have a film or program or what ever I want to watch I click on 'cast' and it sends it over to the tv that the chromecast device is plugged in to.

You can even minimise the window on your lap top and continue to browse the web whilst it still casts to your tv.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Whilst roaming in Europe, I have been using a subscription VPN to stream UK TV over the internet. I have recently been told that if you buy a UK SIM card or contract and use it in Europe, the network provider routes all your "online data" into their UK servers so that they can manage your usage. This has the effect of making your connection enter the internet as though you were in the UK. Consequently, this means that you will have a UK IP address and the likes of "BBC iPlayer, ITV and Channel 4 players etc will work as though you were in the UK. Can anyone confirm that they have found this to work? If so, I will not renew my VPN subscription before setting off for Spain this summer.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
In Spain at the moment and have been watching Sky Sports through Nowtv using TunnelBear as a VPN and that’s on the iPad. Tried it through the tv using a HDMI cable and it will not work but BBC iPlayer does.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Whilst roaming in Europe, I have been using a subscription VPN to stream UK TV over the internet. I have recently been told that if you buy a UK SIM card or contract and use it in Europe, the network provider routes all your "online data" into their UK servers so that they can manage your usage. This has the effect of making your connection enter the internet as though you were in the UK. Consequently, this means that you will have a UK IP address and the likes of "BBC iPlayer, ITV and Channel 4 players etc will work as though you were in the UK. Can anyone confirm that they have found this to work? If so, I will not renew my VPN subscription before setting off for Spain this summer.

I’m on Vodafone with a U.K. contract, and use my phone as a hotspot, so watch all tv through that, including itv and now tv on iPad, but aslso to stream through an android box direct to the tv, to get everything. Never had or used a VPN and am abroad 11 months of the year.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks BreweryDave. Reassuring to know VPN not needed (unless perhaps using a local WiFi provided on a campsite).

I am also with Vodafone with a data SIM in a MiFi unit giving me 50 GBytes a month for £30. I use this as my local hotspot at home as well as when travelling. Did away with our landline (endless unwanted calls about PPI etc) and the so-called super fast broadband (slower than the Vodafone cellular connection at home) and saved over £30 a month in BT rental. As we still needed a mobilephone, this too is with Vodafone and gives us unlimited calls and a further 20 GBytes of data. A bonus is that we now only have one contact telephone number wherever we are in Europe. Obviously hoping that post-Brexit this arrangement will not end.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back