Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
What is valthparc ?
Have you got hangovers lol
Is there ELH at the aire

Only 20 mins of leccy per token on the Flot Bleau.
Valthoparc is the municipal parking authority. If you google it they have a website.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Yes at L'Escale in blue And white Burstner with over the cab. No dog this time he is at home having a holiday.

Matt
Will pop over and say hello a some point. We are in the Hymer with 2 Kayaks on the roofs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
Rang valthparc said they were fully booked gutted ah well maybe next year had to go for lpg used 15.6 litres in 2 days bloody cold here and no sun for solar
Happy new year

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Well that was MENTAL!!!!!

Getting too old for extreme partying!

Aug 19, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
since 2010
  • Has anybody been to Camping Saanen "biem Kappeli"? We havn't used our moho to ski yet, husband is not so keen, thinks it'll be a bit cramped. But I'm keen to give it a go, mainly because of the flexibility it will give. But tbh, probably couldn't afford Saanen any other way

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
  • Has anybody been to Camping Saanen "biem Kappeli"? We havn't used our moho to ski yet, husband is not so keen, thinks it'll be a bit cramped. But I'm keen to give it a go, mainly because of the flexibility it will give. But tbh, probably couldn't afford Saanen any other way

It might be worth posting the same question on a new thread to get an answer.
We haven't been there!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The snow in Grand Bornand is melting fast. It was more than a bit muddy up there today and now it's raining :crying:

Get yourself to VT!
There is a patch of tarmac in the carpark about the size of a Chausson now vacant!

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Get yourself to VT!
There is a patch of tarmac in the carpark about the size of a Chausson now vacant!
We did think about it but decided to leg it to warmer climes. After a hair raising drive over the Col Des Aravis we are now mid way between Albertville and Montmelian.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You lucky gits!
We are back in Norfolk........

Until February!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We are going to have a 2nd shot at skiing in March, if the snow is good.

I did buy my hire boots from the ski rental place, they were the comfiest I have ever had. We are going to try a pick up some skis towards the end of the season. We fancy the idea of drifting around the ski resorts to find the good snow.

Aug 19, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
since 2010
Jonandshell

Thanks for replying, will give that a go. VT looks fun. We are still working so the worry is turning up looking for an aire, and finding its full - then having to re-plan, or even dig a place out, and spending more time facilitating our stay than skiing1

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Jonandshell

Thanks for replying, will give that a go. VT looks fun. We are still working so the worry is turning up looking for an aire, and finding its full - then having to re-plan, or even dig a place out, and spending more time facilitating our stay than skiing1

You can book VT in advance which is ideal for commitments to ski school bookings etc.
Be warned though that VT is very high and cold. You need a suitably equipped van to manage the low temperatures without hookup.
Services are not a problem, the aire has a heated service point which you access with free tokens from the carpark reception.

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Jon, sorry off topic here as back home now, we meet another van the same as ours but a French version which had the rear bolt on chassis extension on , does yours as ours finishes just behind the rear wheels leaving the over hang to fend for itself ( we have noticed it feels like it's dropping slighty )
Hope you had a good break how cold was it up there and how do you cope with out hook up? Do the dogs sit in the van ok when you are skiing?
Picked ours up and she said she is sad to see him go which is nice.

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Guys we are sorry we missed you at Le Grand Bonard, we popped over but there was no one in before we left. I think we timed it right as the snow was melting fast. The drive back was very nasty thick fog and poring rain for most of the journey . Caught the ferry back and did a naughty by staying in the camper and sleeping as my little one was fast asleep.
Last time by ferry train from now on you meet all the best people on the train ( one carriage back from Jon & Shell )

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Jon, sorry off topic here as back home now, we meet another van the same as ours but a French version which had the rear bolt on chassis extension on , does yours as ours finishes just behind the rear wheels leaving the over hang to fend for itself ( we have noticed it feels like it's dropping slighty )
Hope you had a good break how cold was it up there and how do you cope with out hook up? Do the dogs sit in the van ok when you are skiing?
Picked ours up and she said she is sad to see him go which is nice.

We have a very substantial galvanised bolt on chassis extention under our garage. There are preinstalled towing electics as well.
The van copes OK with being off grid. We have a 345 Ah traction battery bank and Sterling A-B battery charger. It takes an hour of running the engine once a day to keep up with our energy requirements. The last 3 days we just let the battery discharge fully prior to the drive home. We were running a waste tank defrost element as well which kept everything liquid and despensed with buckets. Bucket waste collection would save power considerably. We got down to -18 on one night but average was -10. Days were 0 to -8 ish.
The dogs seemed happy once adjusted to their new environment. The heating was left at a steady 20 degrees for the entire stay. We had to keep walkies quite short due to cold feet!
We returned to the van every lunchtime and we had no cainine issues! There were plenty of other dogs in resort so don't worry about leaving yellow snow!
For worming on our return, we used the 3 Valleys vet at Moutiers. It cost 40 Euros per dog which was a bit steep we thought! The vets has a tight car park which you can just turn around in! Our van is 7.09 m.
Glad you had a good trip and it was great you to catch up with you on the train!

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Guys we are sorry we missed you at Le Grand Bonard, we popped over but there was no one in before we left. I think we timed it right as the snow was melting fast. The drive back was very nasty thick fog and poring rain for most of the journey . Caught the ferry back and did a naughty by staying in the camper and sleeping as my little one was fast asleep.
Last time by ferry train from now on you meet all the best people on the train ( one carriage back from Jon & Shell )
No problem, we did pop round to yours too but of course you were out.

Hope you had a good time despite the limited amount of days skiing.
I regained my lost confidence so if nothing else it was worth it for me, although I think Colin needs a medal for being so patient with me!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi All, ive started a Group for motorhome skiers in the groups section, be sure to join in so we can share all our knowledge, i am off to Livigno in 2 weeks.

find it here Broken Link Removed

Aug 19, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
since 2010
jonand shell, again thanks for your reply - I think we have suitably equipped van (German), but we don't have solar, so would have to run the engine after 3 days or so. TBH not sure how we'd manage, but if we don't have a go we'll never find out!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
jonand shell, again thanks for your reply - I think we have suitably equipped van (German), but we don't have solar, so would have to run the engine after 3 days or so. TBH not sure how we'd manage, but if we don't have a go we'll never find out!

Unless you have a Sterling or Ctek setup, you might struggle with a standard split charge system keeping your batteries topped up.
I understand some of the later Schnaudt units might have smart charging built in though. Perhaps someone might elighten me?
Anyway, a gennie might be your best friend. I think you can even hire suitcase gennies from HSS Hire and the like.
You won't upset many people up there, loads of people use them!
Much to our annoyance!;)

Aug 19, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
since 2010
All advice gratefully received, thank you. Havn't a clue if we have a sterling or a ctek setup, or even schnaudt unit - our van is registered in 2010, but they are soon out of date, aren't they. Yes a gennie would probably be the way to go. We have seen people wild camping at les gets, and most seem to have gennie's. This is all getting more likely, as I have been looking for accomodation for the beg of Feb, without any luck. The moho is so flexible.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back