Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Guys
need some advice for the last couple of years we have ben to Kitzbuhel skiing and have found a campingplatz which is fantastic:- indoor pool,sauna,steam room,gym, drying room, hot showers (all over the top I know but hey!:Cool:) two mins walk to ski bus and ten mins bus ride to the piste etc etc. (spoilt a bit really) but this year we fancy somewhere different unfortunatley she that must be obeyed and the rabble want the same type of facilities. any thoughts?

Cheers

Andy

:helpsos::helpsos:

Tailendcharley

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Funster No
:Smile:Hi, Courcheval in the French 3 Valleys...miles n miles of superb skiing with facilities to match.....hope this helps

:winky:Smithy:Smile:

OP
OP
A

andyframpton

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Smithy
Sounds good but any ideas of the name of the site? stayed in Latania in a flat a couple of years back but cant recall seeing many trucks:Sad:

Andy

:Smile:Hi, Courcheval in the French 3 Valleys...miles n miles of superb skiing with facilities to match.....hope this helps

:winky:Smithy:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Try here. Link Removed

all the facilities you require, high up for snow, very close to slopes, and the olympics skating was held here so there is a great complex, pool etc only a stone throw from the site.
If you have a look back through my blog you will see some more info on it with pics.

or you can see our video here
panagah's photos and albums on webshots
We are going again in Feb, cant wait.

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
you may also find this site helpfull. Link Removed

Bunny

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi,:thumb:
Plan to go skiing with my family at Christmas. Any ideas how I could winterize my motorhome to stop it freezing up? Does anyone know anything about non-toxic anti freeze ,as our waste tank is outside.
:Doh:

Ash

Trader - Service & Repairs
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2007
Chapel st Leonard's. Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Try here. Link Removed

all the facilities you require, high up for snow, very close to slopes, and the olympics skating was held here so there is a great complex, pool etc only a stone throw from the site.
If you have a look back through my blog you will see some more info on it with pics.

or you can see our video here
panagah's photos and albums on webshots
We are going again in Feb, cant wait.

Hi mate just watched your video for last new yr it looked fab :thumb: Remember we are interested in going in Feb CLS also so keep us posted
Ash

Last edited:

Bunny

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Skiing at Christmas

After much deliberation (on the part of my wife as she hates the cold) we took our motorhome (Millie a CI 656 2007) and our two children (Joe 6 and Jack 3) skiing at Pralognan La Vanoise in the French Alps over Christmas.

We live in Devon, drove to Portsmouth and caught the Ferry to Caen. On the way down we stayed in an aires about half way and eventually arrived at the campsite at 4.00 in the afternoon. There had been lots of snow the week before and true to form Millie needed no help driving on snow and ice although I did have snow chains and I had had has a few nightmares about what I thought might happen?

Pralognan is at 1400m and I was really surprised how easy it was to keep Millie warm We left the electric heater on all the time and used the gas heating as necessary. She stayed as warm as toast even when it was -12 outside. Her fresh water tank is inside but the waste water is outside and so based on good advice(see below) we left the waste tank open and put a bucket under the outlet. The waste pipes leaving Millie were unfortunately not level and so on occasions became frozen although a bit of anti- freeze (non-toxic) seemed to do the trick. I did try to level her but the lack of friction between the blocks and the ice made this impossible (for me).

We had a really good 10 days. Our boys loved being in the snow and our eldest learnt to ski.

Good points about the trip!
  • I was surprised how easy it was to take our motorhome skiing!
  • It was really good to spend time together as a family.
  • Our boys loved playing in the snow at Christmas.
  • 14 hrs driving is bearable.
  • The ferry was ‘cheapish’ compared to what I’ve paid in the summer.
  • Pralognan is a nice ski resort, traditional, with lots to do and with good skiing for beginners and intermediates.
  • The campsite was great with generally helpful staff and really good toilets, showers etc.
  • The campsite was good value for money.
  • Diesel in France is cheaper than unleaded petrol (less tax I guess!).
  • Being charged as a category 2 vehicle at the tolls was a bonus.
  • Aires we chose were great.

Not such good points!
  • Being charged as a category 3 vehicle at the tolls even though I think we were!
  • The tolls on the way down and back were OTT (£100 each way) had we had time I would have tried to avoid them.
  • Having 1 Euro to the pound was not great.
  • Paying £55 for three soups, bread, two coffees, two hot chocolates and a tea in Pralognan (the restaurant/ café is near the nursery slopes, not too far from the Ecole de Ski, if you’re keen to give it ago)!!!!!!!!
  • Our motorhome while great in the summer was a bit of a squash in the winter especially when ‘bringing back’ all of the presents left by Santa!
  • For adults carrying their own ski kit to the slopes, the distance is no problem.
  • When you have two young children whose stuff you also have to carry the distance does become a problem.
  • The ski bus from the campsite ran at times that were not always convenient (children’s ski lessons, my wife’s resistance to getting out of bed) and as such getting to and from the slopes was a problem for us.

In summery, it was a really good holiday and although we may need to buy a bigger motorhome it was a great experience that we will definitely repeat and Pralognan is a really great place to start.

Useful web addresses:
http://www.camping-isertan.com
http://web.mac.com/kevbatchelor/Ski_Motorhome/Advice.html

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back