Free Member
Aug 16, 2010
(The Midlands) Nuneaton
Funster No
MH
A-Class Frankia 640 Exclu
Exp
9 yrs
hi we normaly go to France for skiing but this year I fancy scottland ' I'm looking for nice stop overs en route and also the best places for skiing please any tips much appreciated
We are looking to got around the middle of February is anyone else going ??

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
My experience of skiing in Scotland has only been at Glen Shee, but cold, wet, misty and miserable are the first things that spring to mind. Having said that, I would go again tomorrow if it was my only option :) Think you would need to watch the weather reports and be prepared to go at short notice to guarantee getting on snow rather than heather.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
NNNNOOOOOOOOOOO....
Hop on a plane to Andorra,
Great snow and runs.
Son there right now, says it's great snow.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Lots of snow at Cairngorm and there is "Glemore camsite" at the base and regular bus up the mountain, not far from Aviemore where there is another site " high range" has its own pizzaria on site ( really good) between Aviemore and Glenmore there is the " Rothimurcas site" you can walk into Viemore from it and the Hilton Hotel is just across the road and also on the bus route
Stop overs on route ?? Where you coming from ?? And how many miles do you want to cover in a day as you can do Birmingham to Aviemore easily in a day

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Lynn I'm just a novice so my info might be useless, won't be the first time :). We went skiing for the first time to Glen Coe last Feb and are going again the weekend of the 20/2, if your coming from down south then Glen Coe will be the easiest to get to and they have MH pitches with hook up for £15 a night which you can book online, the last time we went we just parked up in the corner of the car park with a few other M/H and the staff said it was fine even though it says not to on their website. I think the resort was great there again I have nothing to compare it with, I have them on Facebook and they have plenty of snow just now. If you fancy this let me know and I'll try and help with a few places you can stop.
We did visit Cairngorms and Glenshee in November and they both looked great also, Cairngorms have a massive car park and allow you to stay over no probs or you could drive down to Aviemore about 20mins away. Glenshee although not much further than Glen Coe mileage wise it can be hard to get to from the south as the road can be snowed in quite easy, glenshee has 5 hook ups at £5 a night but it's first come first served so if you really wanted hook up you might not get it.
When we go in Febuary there will be us and another funster family so 7 in total all beginners but your more than welcome to join us.
This was Glen Coe at car park level last week
image.jpg

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Reading these few replies I think we will give it a miss
VT here we come
Wise decision Scotland is ok for learners and beginners or just getting the legs working after a layoff but you'd be bored stupid after 2 days.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Snow good in the French resorts now.
Booked flights early March and will prob stay in playa de casa in Andorra.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Thought Andorra was a soul less place when we skied there, not helped by the 4 hour bus transfer but hey, lets not start another "Benidorm" thread :LOL:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Its the length of the runs which we look forward to.

Skiing for less than a mile and then having to get back on a lift would be a bit repetitive.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Thousands flocked to Scotland's ski resorts over the weekend after freezing temperatures and dumploads of snow created excellent conditions.

The country's main resorts were “mobbed” by enthusiastic skiers and snowboarders, especially Glencoe, where police were called after motorists who were trying to get to the slopes parked on the verge of the A82, the main road that links Fort William and Glasgow, blocking the road.

A spokesperson for the resort told the Aberdeen Press and Journal that they stopped selling lift tickets by early afternoon as the car park was full and the resort was “mobbed”. She said 1,600 people attended the slopes and enjoyed “fantastic conditions”.

Karen Robertson, who was at the ski centre on Sunday, said on Twitter there was “nose to tail traffic from Comrie to Glencoe at 7.30am”, a distance of 64 miles, and that it was “chaos”.

The Cairngorm ski area welcomed nearly 4,000 people to the resort over the weekend, with perfect conditions reported on Sunday, while the Nevis Range, near Ben Nevis, had 3,000 people visit its ski area over the weekend.

Féderation Internationale du Ski initiative to encourage people onto the slopes. Chair of Ski Scotland Heather Negus accepted it was difficult to mark the day in Scotland's ski areas as January was usually an unsettled time. “This special day tends to coincide with the snow-bearing storms which set us up for the winter season, albeit this year all five mountain resorts have already been operating.

“As World Snow Day timing is never ideal for Scotland, we are also planning our own celebratory Ski Scotland Snowfest in March, when the Scottish mountains weather is more likely to play ball.”

Most recent figures from Ski Scotland say the country's wintersports industry is worth nearly £30m to the economy each season.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Lots of snow at Cairngorm and there is "Glemore camsite" at the base and regular bus up the mountain, not far from Aviemore where there is another site " high range" has its own pizzaria

We stayed at high range a few years ago . Nice site , good food in the Italian onsite restaurant too. We went skiing Up the Cairngorms. Well I tried it.... Ralph and the kids really enjoyed it . I was more " all the gear no idea!" You can over night up the mountain too.
There was a great atmosphere in Aviemore. Especially on an evening.
Lots of bars and cafes. Seemingly the council had spent millions on the resort. We spent New Year's Eve in one bar , The Old Bridge Inn . They had a live band on that played every instrument going , at the same time . But they were great. The food was fantastic gourmet standard , and the atmosphere First class.
We shall go again. But as I'd never done it before I said I won't go again, to ski, unless I have lessons. I wouldn't want to be stuck in the Motorhome whilst everyone was up the mountain. A days instruction whilst there wasn't enough , and I was worse than useless. It's somewhere Id go, even not to ski , on a trip up in that area what ever time of year.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
The hundreds or thousands would spoil it for me on the limited snow Lynn n Ash..
Get to the real guaranteed snow ..you know you want to.. Steve just pretend I am there and try n beat me round them bends and corners ..nah nah nee nah nah lolol xx
In fairness on the straights you win but bends me first !

Kath xx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back