Ski 2022 (1 Viewer)

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Just returning from ski trip to Austria 2022.
First off it was very therapeutic for me - with a background of Covid now allowing travel - but also after a major scare (Cardiac syncope due to sick sinus syndrome mid January - heart rate under 7 bpm at one point - Cardiologist said I only survived because I am so fit!!!) Now have a permanent pacemaker which seems to be working well.

Overnight Blackhorse Folkestone.
Outbound no real issues - get your ducks in order for the border - Covid pass up to date, French declaration etc. Tunnel straightforward.
First night Fuuskaul Luxembourg (actually FKK Reenert which is cheap and has a great pool.)
Then Stellplatz Bad Windheim- again great spa. All facilities but EHU costs a lot of 50c.
Two nights Camping Zugspitze Garmisch for a lovely walk. Pricy but epic views.
Then a full week Aufenfeld in Zillertal. This is a great new find - ten pitches around a central facility allowing individual bathrooms. Great pool. Good restaurant. Bus around 15 mins to lift. Zillertal is a large ski area. Could also get bus to Mayrhofen and Hoch Fugen. Will increase stay next year to 10 days. Would be a good site for family with kids as has a weird Wild West feel.

Had booked a week in Petneu St Anton, but eurocamps have taken over site and not in a good way, I’d say only 5% occupancy and it’s clear they want to phase it down and build lodges. Check in very understaffed and whole area had grey soulless feel. Coupled with too soft snow in St Anton and left 3 days early. Shall not return. Had the Saharan sand giving the snow a peach coating like sorbet.

Thence to favourite Grubhof which never fails to impress. May be small ski area but perfect campsite and v friendly resort. Cafe Krepper a must.

Return via Hopfensee - a new one on me and will return. Good pitch right by lake and lovely 7km walk around plus other walks through forests to other Lakes.

Back via Bad Windheim and Fuuskaul and now in Memling Bruges (it’s in Belgium!) for tunnel tomorrow.

Thus ends ski 22 - had not one drop of rain. V little snow - and that was orange. Resorts have a deep base but getting very warm after 12 (up to 18’c) so anything after 1pm risks leg breaks in the slush (IMO).

OP
OP
bladerunner
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
50670E0F-543D-4AE4-8913-827773E7825A.jpeg
Walk to cafe Krepper

OP
OP
bladerunner
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Sounds like you had a fabulous trip. Skiing is my favourite (sporting) activity 🙂
Flew out to Geneva yesterday with my son and now in Tignes le Lac.
As you say, journey very straightforward if you have your Covid pass downloaded properly.
Snow here is good higher up but slushy in the village this afternoon.
View from my balcony 👍
IMG_20220327_175649966_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
bladerunner
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010