Skew angle (1 Viewer)

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
The setup is an Oyster Caro Vision and we’re heading to the Mosel/Rhine area, someone’s suggested that if I could manually adjust the skew angle about 9° clockwise (viewed from behind the dish) we may get a better signal on ASTRA 2
I need to do the adjustment before heading off as I won’t be taking a ladder.
Any thoughts on this anyone ?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I used to adjust ours for Spain but that was 12deg. to the right but that was standing in front of the dish not from behind. Google is your friend.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Take a good book,or three.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Technically you're correct - but I never bothered in Germany and had no problem. However that was before the reception footprint was reduced - I've since taken the b....y thing off as we never watch TV and it packed up twice when we did.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
The setup is an Oyster Caro Vision and we’re heading to the Mosel/Rhine area, someone’s suggested that if I could manually adjust the skew angle about 9° clockwise (viewed from behind the dish) we may get a better signal on ASTRA 2
I need to do the adjustment before heading off as I won’t be taking a ladder.
Any thoughts on this anyone ?
I would wait until your on site rather than adjust the skew angle before leaving , if your Oyster Locks onto Astra 2 successfully and you get a message on the TV screen saying no signal don't assume that all the channels will be the same as some regional BBC/itv channels have a stronger signal strength than others .
The one News Channels that you can always receive is SKY News which is free and can picked up even in Spain as its transmitted on the Astra 2 Pan European beam which has far wider footprint than the Spot beam that carries BBC , ITV, Channel 4 and all the 5s

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have the Auto-skew and watching it closely I've noticed that the amount of skew varies all over the European Continent, is that right?

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I have the Auto-skew and watching it closely I've noticed that the amount of skew varies all over the European Continent, is that right?
Yes it does , I also have autoskew on our 85cm dish and it make a considerable difference in fringe area's where the signal is weaker

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
It can be a bit more that simply "move it to 9 degrees"....as in the fringe reception areas it has to be spot on otherwise channels may not be available.
Here in Spain, ITV1 HD and Quest SDs are so skew sensitive...so much that even just resting your finger on the LNB can make the difference of reception or not. And can only really be "fine tuned" with a decent signal meter...and not by any apps or just looking at it.
Sometimes even the make and model of LNB in use can make a difference, as sometimes the "insides" are not always the same.

But yes the skew will vary as you travel east west across europe, as you move away from the 28 east satellite location. If you were located at 28 east, then the lnb skew would be 0...in portugal it would be like 15 degrees ish...

OP
OP
Spanner
Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
As our setup doesn't have auto skew I'm going to leave it alone, currently set at 0°

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
For Frankfurt (Mosel/Rhine area) you need 8° clockwise looking from the FRONT of the dish.

The skew values are always given looking from the FRONT of the dish.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
I use a hand held tv with the signal strength displayed and the skew always makes a difference. usually tune to PBS, a weak station I don't know why, if I can get that I get everything.

OP
OP
Spanner
Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
For Frankfurt (Mosel/Rhine area) you need 8° clockwise looking from the FRONT of the dish.

The skew values are always given looking from the FRONT of the dish.
Dish now adjusted as you suggested and it still receives all the stations at home, but we are in the middle of the footprint, hopefully the new setting will be an improvement for the area we’re visiting.

Thanks for all the replies and advice

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back